Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Minion

I still think, if you use the basic TTA/PeopleMover design of two forward, two reverse, and made it capable of some slow omnimover-style spins so that the reverse riders can face forward sometimes, or both seats can face sideways, etc., you'd have a great Gen 3 Peoplemover.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Minion

>>of two forward, two reverse, and made it capable of some slow omnimover-style spins so that the reverse riders can face forward sometimes, or both seats can face sideways, etc., you'd have a great Gen 3 Peoplemover.<<

I think that is a totally cool idea ... imagine a train of Peoplemover pods .. each doing their own thing. For grandma and grandpas car ... looking forward only. For Mom & Dad either the "sideways" or "looking backwards" pods ... and for little Suzie & Bruce ;-) ... the full 360 swinging pods that can do circles in both directions (ala Tea Cups/Roger Rabbit/Buzz).

Imagine how cool it would look high above that track from looking at any point in the land .. and we see this string of 4 or 5 car trains .. each car ... doing some fun stuff!!

• Official Mice Chat person

OR! What if the riders had control of the spins, using a joy stick they could spin the car in 360 degrees. (Just like Buzz Light Year astro blasters). When inside tunnels, the pods would be set to face one direction and not move (this way everyone will be able to see what ever is being "shown") But once you are outside you have control to spin your pod in any direction you feel, So you could be over the sub lagoon and spin your car to face another direction, you could even experience the ride backwards for a while! I think it would be cool to have control over it.

• The one, the only...

Get rid of Astro Orbiter!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    The rocks should be removed and The astro orbiter needs to be re-done, or moved, it doesn't match anymore. And it takes up WAY more usefull space than the peoplemover track does. The Jules Verne theme died after a year or 2, especially once rocket rods were gone.

I agree. That Astro Orbiter looks out of place. It needs to be moved or completely removed. The Jules Verne theme was a poor fit for Disneyland!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• ºoº Tom ºoº

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I agree. That Astro Orbiter looks out of place. It needs to be moved or completely removed. The Jules Verne theme was a poor fit for Disneyland!
    It was only a poor fit because it was never given the support it deserved.

• The one, the only...

He is right

OR! What if the riders had control of the spins, using a joy stick they could spin the car in 360 degrees. (Just like Buzz Light Year astro blasters). When inside tunnels, the pods would be set to face one direction and not move (this way everyone will be able to see what ever is being "shown") But once you are outside you have control to spin your pod in any direction you feel, So you could be over the sub lagoon and spin your car to face another direction, you could even experience the ride backwards for a while! I think it would be cool to have control over it.
    Disneylandrocks is right in that there are simple things that could be done that would make the ride great again. This idea is a great one!! I think that we can save money by salvaging the old tracks. Just make a new ride that tops PM in some way.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• ºoº Tom ºoº

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    Disneylandrocks is right in that there are simple things that could be done that would make the ride great again. This idea is a great one!! I think that we can save money by salvaging the old tracks. Just make a new ride that tops PM in some way.
    Sorry to burst the bubble but the current structure of the old PeopleMover's tracks were so badly damaged by the Rocket Rods it would probably cost more to retrofit them then to replace them. Check for yourself next time you drive the Autopia, you can see massive cracks and structual damage to the pillons.

• Minion

Yeah, depending on the width of the tunnels/vehicles, you could have an automatic alignment the way a ride like Knotts' XK-! stops you from being able to turn over below a certain height. Your joystick then would have a simple program that activates a light inside the joystick that turns on when the joystick will turn the vehicle.

Also, since one of the key factors in Imagineering any attraction is repeatability, how about xreating, say, three different audio soundtracks, and allowing the guests to vote on their soundtrack the way Horizons used to let you vote on which "vehicle" you ride at the end? Have one be your classic-style narrative, another be full of historical trivia tidbits about Tomorrowland, and a third be Radio Disney 2155, with mostly futuristic music, but the occasional "commercial" for Tomorrowland attractions.

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Such passion for the People Mover! So many people who say it was a snore and good riddance. So many other people who can't imagine Disneyland without it. I think this may be the most controversial yesterland ride in the park! (BTW...has Disneyland ever brought back a yesterland ride? Perhaps the subs would qualify, but they were never replaced or removed... only mothballed.)

I would also ask for citations and sources for the statements that "Everybody knows the Rocket Rods damaged the track beyond use." Exactly where can I verify this information? Everybody also knows that Henry Ford only painted his Model T's black... but it isn't true.

Finally, I'm weary of those who insist that the ride be forgotten because it was sooooooo slowwwwww. Everything in the world does not have to be a 100 MPH coaster that scares the living crap out of you... or an AA extravaganza. Sometimes simple, leisurely things can be nice too. Dumbo ain't no thrill, but no one wants to rip it out!

If I were a betting man (and, frankly, I am) my money would be on the eventual removal of the track and the end of an era. The People Mover is GONE... deal with it.

However, I must admit to a nostalgic side that would like to see it return. Not because it was a great ride. I'm not sure it was even much fun... BUT... it did provide a colorful, kinetic aspect to Tomorrowland and underscored the theme of a future on the move. There was a naive hopefullness that pervaded the Tomorrowland of yesterday... and I miss it.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Minion

Well, aside from Subs, let's look at rides that have taken over old structures. I won't bother to list them all, but the point is, I don't think people are militant about PeopleMovers coming back verbatim. I think of it more as Mission to Mars becoming Alien Encounter becoming Stitch. Rocket Rods, like AE, was just too extreme. a Gen 3 PeopleMover concept could have the visual bells and whistles of RocketRods, but the heart of the original PeopleMover.

The current administration is bent on opening rides where closed ones exist, and PeopleMover is in a unique position where very few attractions could occupy the same space and not tear the whole land down. Now, this admin seems to also be leaning toward an Incredibles tie-in, which is more than unfortunate, but hopefully cooler heads will prevail and, with hints of getting something new for Star Tours, southern Tomorrowland will be strong enough in a few years to have an overhaul of Autopia/Monorail/MBC and include PeopleMover Gen 3 in its plan.

-- Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    a Gen 3 PeopleMover concept could have the visual bells and whistles of RocketRods, but the heart of the original PeopleMover.
    If a ride like this could be conceived, created and constructed....I'M THERE!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    If a ride like this could be conceived, created and constructed....I'M THERE!
    Thanks... I think many of the armchair Imagineers have come up with a bunch of ideas to get the ball rolling. Imagine what the guys with degrees could come up with

If nothing else, there's that whole Rocket Tower issue to deal with. Innoventions, for all its faults, has sponsors which will keep that place alive for a while. Chevron has its hooks in Autopia. Magic Eye, ebing a theater, isn't meant for a permanent attraction anyway, but is tucked away so it will truly be a blight. But Rocket Tower... talk about bad show.

And the best news is, even without Rocket Tower, the tracks between Buzz and Star Tours could be spliced, and a new queue could go in on the second story of Carousel Theater, or Starcade, or even parallel to the Monorail station. The PeopleMover is just too visible to leave dormant, but too versatile to get rid of. We just need to be patient and wait for the Imagineers to have some of the other major projects like the Monos and Subs done so they can tackle the PMs. But it'll happen, and the odds are in their favor to be brilliant.

-- Walt Disney

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234