Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Sock Puppet

Re: A little ride help? Wheelchair!

Missviolet, if you have "hopping" skills then you will have no problem on any ride. I'm a para in a wheelchair but with great mobility and I have no problem getting on and off rides without assistance and in the required time limit (example - Thunder Mtn has like 25 seconds to get on or off or they have to shut it down or something). You will not need the Haunted Mansion to stop the Doom Buggy or even use the easy access Doom Buggy (unless you want to of course). Small World is an easy "hop" down into the boat and the Jungle Cruise boat with the wheelchair ramp/platform is super lame (in my opinion of course) and you will not need it either. The Pooh ride is just plane super lame and again you will not need the wheelchair accessible vehicle either.

Disneyland has become really handicapped aware these last few years almost to the point of being annoying (again, this is in regards only to me as I am very mobile and don't require assistance). Whenever they see me and the wheelchair they stop everything, get the special vehicle/boat and or slow or stop the ride. I realize this is needed for some people but I wish they would ask if that's what I want first before doing it. I just want to experience the ride like everyone else (except I like going up the exit and not waiting in a 2 hour line).

Eh, what can I say, I want equality but I want the perks too.
    Have lots of fun on your trip!

• Banned User

this is true about HM. last july we had a wheelchair and we got to see the back of the ride. not that it wasn't much to see but it was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmouse
    What do you mean the CMs can't help her? Aren't the CMs there to help assist with loading the rides or whatnot? If someone is having trouble or needs assistance shouldn't the CMs provide that assistance? The only real reason I can think of not to let her ride is if it is a hazard to her safety to ride with the leg disability.
    Slightly off topic:

At my job, we used to put wheelchair bound folks in a special chair and using two people, lift them up and down a rather narrow set of stairs. It's my understanding that the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) required us to stop that practice and use a special ramp to reduce the risk of dropping and injury. Now we usually don't lift or help in that way at all. I'm guessing DLR has bumped into some ADA issues along those lines.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    it's a small world usually has a boat that will accept a regular wheelchair without transfer in the flume, there is a special entrance near the main entrance. ECV's are too heavy and need to transfer

The Jungle Cruise has a special boat that is not normally running, you need to ask for the boat to be brought out (and there is a bit of a wait), but you don't need to transfer like "iasw", you go to the exit and inform the CM at the exit.

Space Mountain has a special loading station and a special slide to load into the rocket, transfer is required, but since you are in a special secondary area, you can take all the time you need to load and unload.

Also, Winnie the Pooh and Monsters, Inc. can take regular wheelchairs on the ride without transfer.

Grizzly River Run at DCA has a special loading area for a boat, but once again, transfer is required.

I suggest you stop by City Hall (a ramp entrance is located on the north side near the restrooms) and pick up a guide to those who need assistance when you arrive.
    One more thing to add you can goto disneyland web site and print out the same guide that you can pick up at city hall
    I did for a family member who need use a wheelchair. He can not walk long ways with a bad knees.
    I'm be back with the link.

I'm back and here is the link to prints out the guide
    http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...tyGSDetailPage
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Thanks for the awesome link!

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

Miss Violet,
    Here is an online pdf version of the disability guide for DL and DCA.

http://adisneyland.disney.go.com/med..._r.9.28.05.pdf

This is the DL site page with similar info

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...tyGSDetailPage

Fluffy Club Member

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

One more thing to add you do not need to get out of the Wheelchair From the Parking lot to main park enters. The mickey mouse and frends parking lot have two way to get you to the park. One there is a Van that is by the pinocchio's parking zone. Also there is a ramp that load you on to the tram.

the van only hold two wheel chair people Hope both set strap are working.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12