• Basking in birthday love

College Band returns! My response? Meh.

So today was the first day of the 2006 All-American College Band. Now, for several weeks, all I've been hearing from parade people is "College band, college band! They're so awesome, the guys are so hot, it's so much fun!" So I was intrigued, and curious to see them.

And it's all very... not great. One of the drummers was sort of cute, but that was about it for eye candy. As for the music, I was distinctly unimpressed. I've been a musician for 12 years, and though I was never in band, I was in flagline briefly, and most of my friends were band geeks, so I know whereof I speak. They're just not that good. They're not bad, but I've heard better.

I do think that they shouldn't play at flag retreat, though. What before was a brief, dignified ceremony is now a joke. (Seriously, a big band version of "Caissons Go Rolling Along"? What the hell is that?) And it takes twice as long as it used to, and standing at attention when it's hot and the sun is at precisely the wrong angle? Not fun.

So maybe I just don't get it, but I don't see what all the fuss was about. Perhaps they'll improve as the summer goes on and they get more practice playing as a group, but I think I'll honestly be glad to see them go.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Re: College Band returns! My response? Meh.

I don't remember his name, but the old band leader had been doing it for a million years retired last year. When he was in charge, it was exceptional and I tried to make it point to be present for every flag ceremony when I was there.
    Haven't seen the new band play yet though.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

large bands need a lot of practice to play well together, so maybe they'll get better as time goes on. Though, that doesn't help the other issue.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• That Guy

How do you say the word, 'Meh'? Is it like, Maaaaa, like you're thinking? I have been seeing that a lot lately and it stumps me every time. Or is it kind of like Naww, except with a 'M'?

• Cast Member

I personally didn't like it when they tried to jazz up the Star Spangled Banner, I never knew where our beloved national anthem ended and it vaguely felt stately and patriotic.

It was more like, umm......ok, how much longer before I can get back to work from being at attention to the flag while going all over Main Street.

The simple PA played anthem seemed more like what you expect.

Maybe I've just never been impressed, that's all?

Bye.

• Wicket Pan the Avenger!

Someone start a drum corps topic somewhere. i haven't talked about that with anyone in a while...
    "Peter," she asked, trying to speak firmly, "what are your exact feelings to me?"
    "Those of a devoted son, Wendy."
    "I thought so," she said, and went and sat by herself at the extreme end of the room.

• Basking in birthday love

Max: "Meh" is just a short syllable. The e is a schwa, so it sounds a little like "Muh." At least, that's how I say it.

Gumby: Yeah, I leaned over to the CM next to me and murmured, "I thought he said, 'And now, our national anthem'?" It was seriously about eight bars before I could identify the melody line, and then it immediately got all screwy.

Anders: Which other problem? The length of flag retreat, or the lack of teh hawt? I'm still hoping that they rotate members (since they wouldn't make them perform seven days a week all summer), and that there are some hotties that I haven't seen.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    Max: "Meh" is just a short syllable. The e is a schwa, so it sounds a little like "Muh." At least, that's how I say it.
    And so, for our English speaking friends, it means.... ---ick? eck? nih? (I've always been interested in language studies)

Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    I don't know if it's a schwa as much as a French "i" as in "timbre".

When I see "meh", I'm thinking someone was trying to come up with a yiddish "eh." If you asked a yiddish speaking mother what she thinks of your non - jewish girlfriend, she would respond with "meh."

In short...I think the vowel is brighter than a schwa.

And now that we are thoroughly derailed into the issue of micechat phonetics....