Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion FOREVER!

Re: I've decided to skip DCA's Aladdin Show. Is that a good decision?

I've seen the show at least a dozen times.

Whether to see it or not is your decision, but here are the pro's and con's.
    as I see it.

* the genie (for the most part; depends on actor) is very funny. There was one
    one show where he started riff'ing off of the audience. Brought the show
    to a halt while everyone laughed! (even made Aladdin smirk like he was
    stifling a laugh).
    * it is a musical adaptation of the movie. If you like musicals, then you should
    see it.
    * the singing by Jasmine and Aladdin is usually pretty good, but their acting
    usually is wooden. Again both depend on the actor.
    * if you have priority seating, use it. I think I waited 15 min once and
    I got the back of the orchestra seat (about 15 rows back).
    * if you don't mind being in the mezzanine, then you can go pretty late (like
    when the CM's are closing the gates).
    * the carpet scenes are pretty neat.
    * the final Jafar battle scene is underwhelming IMHO.

When it's hot out it's a definitely a nice break.. We usually catch it when/if we
    get into DCA.

• Banned User

sooooo whats your decision micoofy???

• Mexihick, y'all

I wouldn't bother. Unless you're looking for a nap. Then it's a must see!

• A New Kind Of Villain

The general consensus seems to be that if you know good musical theatre / broadway; you'll most likely hate it. However if you're not too big on musical theatre productions and don't see much of them, you'll love it.

IMHO, being a bit into musical theatre (Still pissed at broadway critics for unrightfully murdering Lestat before I could see the Broadway version - Saw it in SF), I did enjoy it and would in fact see it again, although it is really flawed in places.

- The Genie is amazing and the best part of the show. I'd actually love to see this actor do improv and not be held back by the Disney 'moral standards' because I think he tones his schtick down way too much.
    - The Jasmines are a toss-up. One has an amazing voice and the other can't sing to save her life. You'll truly know which you got when she does her solo.
    - I have yet to see it with an Aladdin that can sing. It always sounds like the poor boy is going through puberty during 'A Whole New World'.
    - I actually really liked the set design even though it's pretty cheaply made; and some of the effects are pretty neat although not revolutionary. Be forewarned that to get a better view of the effects later in the show I'd recommend getting front row in the middle floor.
    - I actually enjoyed some of the miscellaneous actors, like the carpet and Iago. Plus the actor playing Jafar isn't quite as evil as I'd like him to be, but he's pretty good.

So there is a lot of cheesiness in it, but if you forget it's trying to be Broadway and take it tongue in cheek, you'd be suprised to find out you might enjoy it.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

DH and I really like the show and try to see it each time we are at DCA. My sons aged 21 and 17 even liked it because of the genie, the flying carpet and of course the animals. In addition the theater is gorgeous and air conditioned. I say do what TDLFAN recommends.

• Minion

I have seen it three times, and really liked it.
    That said, it does require quite a bit of time on your part.
    You only have a couple of days, and waiting in the line before the show in the heat can be very trying and tiring!
    I would go for Block party and Electrical parade at DCA. If I had longer, I would definitely include Aladdin though.

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    My sons aged 21 and 17 even liked it because of the genie, the flying carpet and of course the animals.
    The animals in the Aladdin show are amazingly well done... as opposed to the animals in the Snow White show which attempt some sort of interpretive dance that comes off more like "I really need to go to the bathroom and I'm lost!"
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• The Happiest Cynic

You're not missing much if you skip it. People talk about how "funny" the Genie is but he just tosses out a bunch of easy references to things your average Soccer Mom will get (MySpace, Extreme Home Makeover, standard celebrity gossip etc). I thought he was the worst part of the show, truth be told.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadako
    The general consensus seems to be that if you know good musical theatre / broadway; you'll most likely hate it. However if you're not too big on musical theatre productions and don't see much of them, you'll love it.
    I guess I disagree with that general consensus.

I'm a huge Broadway fan, and am up in the Theatre District of Manhattan as often as I can afford to do it. And when I cannot afford it, I'm seeing many regional and touring musical productions. I was just in NYC last weekend and am planning on going back in a few months. I also spent many years of my life singing and performing. I saw Aladdin once in DCA and to be quite frank, I really did enjoy the performance I saw that day back in 2004. I cannot comment on how well is stood up over time or how old the show is since I am not a regular or the pros and cons of the various actors.

I think the bottom line in deciding on this show....do you like musicals? Then give it a try. Are you a person who only enjoys rides, rides, and more rides and finds watching shows a waste of time when visiting theme parks? Than maybe you should skip it and ride ToT for the nth time.

Also remember....Baskin Robbins has over 31 flavors of ice cream for a reason...
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Talking Re: I've decided to skip DCA's Aladdin Show. Is that a good decision?

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    sooooo whats your decision micoofy???
    Can you believe it, after reading all that I'm still undecided. I think I'll just have to see how my everything goes. If I go see it, it has to be the first showing and after that, if i miss the first showing then I miss it because I plan on riding rides and seeing parades and eating at resturants the remaining part of the day. I'm a big ride repeater, can't just ride a ride once.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Red Face Re: I've decided to skip DCA's Aladdin Show. Is that a good decision?

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella
    I think the bottom line in deciding on this show....do you like musicals? Then give it a try. Are you a person who only enjoys rides, rides, and more rides and finds watching shows a waste of time when visiting theme parks? Than maybe you should skip it and ride ToT for the nth time.
    I'm BOTH! I love musicals, love the soundtracks, can't wait to see Las Vegas' Phantom of the Opera and I'm looking forward to seeing Wicked again and I watched the Tony Awards this year even though no one else did! lol.

And I also love riding rides over and over. and over. and over.

and over.

It's good to know though that I can walk out of the show if I feel my decision was a bad one. ;o) Who knows how a typical July Weekend in Disneyland will be.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck
    I'm BOTH! I love musicals, love the soundtracks, can't wait to see Las Vegas' Phantom of the Opera and I'm looking forward to seeing Wicked again and I watched the Tony Awards this year even though no one else did! lol.

Yeah, I love both too!

And regarding The Phantom of the Opera in Las Vegas, it's a 90 minute abridged version of the show. I'm not sure what gets cut out. Although I am happy Las Vegas is bringing in more shows, but these abridged version don't sit well with me...I want the complete thing for $100 a ticket.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

Did you make a good decision?

Let's just say that I'm looking forward to the rumored Beauty and the Beast show...

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck
    Since I will only have 2 full days and 2 half days on my 1st trip to Disneyland, I feel that DCA's 40 minutes plus show for Aladdin is just going to be time consuming and something I won't miss that much.
    In 2 full days you should be able to work the show into your schedule. If you get the park early (before offical opening) you can do most of the major attactions and then when the park is packed do the shows. The aladdin show is fairly good and one of the better things at the DCA.

• Banned User

It depends on you.

If you like theatre, go see it.

If you don't, don't see it.

If you want to ride the most rides possible, don't see it.

If you want a more relaxed vacation, see it.

If you liked the movie Aladdin, see it.

If you hated the movie, don't see it.

It's up to you!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast