Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: I've decided to skip DCA's Aladdin Show. Is that a good decision?

the opening scene (one jump) kinda killed it for me. It was clear that this show had no real director, just someone to plan gimicks. "Okay, here's where the genie will appear, here's the trapdoor for Jafar, here's where we have the facilities for...etcetcetc." It seems like the physical action is tailored around all the effects.
    The first big number should be fun, exciting, and somehwhat farcical as Aladdin uses different methods to avoid the guards. Instead...he ran stage left. They ran after him. He ran stage right. They ran after him. He ran around a building. They ran after him. I never really sensed he was in danger, and was wondering why the guards were having so much trouble catching someone running back and forth. Then it ends with him doing a six-million dollar man jump over the guards for some reason. (All I gotta do is juuuuuuump). If he could leap over crowds of people, why was he running in the first place? They should have chased him up one of the side towers, then he could have lept to safety from the tower...makes actual sense.

Anyway, the show is a double edged sword. Genie rocks, the sets are creative and gorgeous, Friend Like Me tops the show. On the other hand, Jafar's big confrontation in snake/genie form is rushed and static due to the nature of the effects, Aladdin is usually some chubby asian guy who cant sing, and it takes up a considerable amount of time.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    It depends on you.

If you like theatre, go see it.

If you don't, don't see it.

If you want to ride the most rides possible, don't see it.

If you want a more relaxed vacation, see it.

If you liked the movie Aladdin, see it.

If you hated the movie, don't see it.

It's up to you!
    What if you're into choir?

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck
    Since I will only have 2 full days and 2 half days on my 1st trip to Disneyland, I feel that DCA's 40 minutes plus show for Aladdin is just going to be time consuming and something I won't miss that much.

Am I making a good decision? Your thoughts on the show?

Also when I say time consuming, I'm adding in the possible wait in line to get a good seat because I'm assuming there are no assigned seats but more like first come first serve basis.

Plus Aladdin was funny the first time I saw it in theatres but it's been years since I've last seen it. I have a copy, it's just sitting on the shelf... and the sequels! Ugh!

Anyone else regreting seeing the Aladdin show? Anyone walk out? Is it really better than I think it is? Your thoughts MiceChat members. ;o)
    I like it and everyone that I've taken to it loves it.

It's a good show.
    Different from the movie.
    You should see it before it goes away soon.
    About seating...If want front row..then you wait..other than that...sneak in to line about 10 min. b4 show time.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Neep meep beep

I think this is a great show, and when you consider it's a theme park show, it blows everything else at all other parks (including Disneyland) away. Generally, anything Disney puts in the Hyperion theater is a must see, but for me, there are a few things I always do when I go to DCA:

1. California Screamin';
    2. Grizzly River Rapids;
    3. Soarin' over California;
    4. It's Tough to be a Bug; and
    5. Aladdin.

Everything else is "second tier" to me -- just my vote!

• A New Kind Of Villain

Angry Re: I've decided to skip DCA's Aladdin Show. Is that a good decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    I think this is a great show, and when you consider it's a theme park show, it blows everything else at all other parks (including Disneyland) away. Generally, anything Disney puts in the Hyperion theater is a must see, but for me, there are a few things I always do when I go to DCA:

1. California Screamin';
    2. Grizzly River Rapids;
    3. Soarin' over California;
    4. It's Tough to be a Bug; and
    5. Aladdin.

Everything else is "second tier" to me -- just my vote!
    No Tower Of Terror??? You just lost major points in my book mister!
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

If you're thinking of skipping a show, skip the Snow White show in Fantasyland. The Aladdin show is worthwhile seeing, if you haven't
    seen it before. The show has been playing for a while now, so I
    wouldn't get in line until 15 to 20 minutes before the show. with
    the 40 minute show that's only a 1 hour investment in your time,
    plus the air conditioned theater will be a nice retreat from anything you
    would find in Paradise Pier (all the rides there are out in the sun and heat).

I'm sure you would enjoy "Prince Ali" and "Never Had a Friend Like Me". Those are the 2 showstoppers, and both are very well done. Well, it is fun to see the carpet fly too.

If you have seen The Lion King Broadway show, Iago, is done in a very similar way at Zazu. FYI, Alan Menken wrote a song for Jasmine to sing specifically for this show, (personally not my favorite). Although, Abu is not part of this show, there is Definitely an "Elephant" in the audience for "Prince Ali". And "Friend Like Me" certainly looks like something from Las Vegas!

And with more than two days in the parks, you would be cheating only yourself for not seeing it.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

thanks.... ALADDIN! ;o)
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Sadako
    No Tower Of Terror??? You just lost major points in my book mister!
    Oh wow, how could I forget? Definitely Tower of Terror. Definitely. I must have had a brain fart.

I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me Sadako!

• HollywoodsNewestSensation

Exclamation Kinda of a toss-up, I guess.

I second the point about being in air conditioning for 45 minutes since that alone might make it worthwhile.

I suggest you see it mainly because, if nothing else, you should see it for yourself after having read all kinds of ridiculous praise and criticism on the internet.

If you go, do NOT see the first show because that's usually the most crowded. Along those same lines, don't see the last show because that's when you get all the "Oops, we forgot to see it earlier" people.

And even though you didn't ask about this, GO WATCH BLOCK PARTY BASH at 5:15pm! I'm sure you'll love it! But don't watch in Shunshine Plaza because everyone watches down there... so go up somewhere between Golden Dreams and the Golden Zephyr to watch the other show stop and you'll have MUCH more space to dance around.

• Banned User

It's a great show: go see it during the peak of the day when the rides are very crowded. You get to sit and relax in the air conditioned theater and it's just like taking a nap to your body.

• behind the curtain

As someone who loves musical theatre, I took a group of non-theatre loving friends to see Aladdin over Spring break and all of us enjoyed it. Is it broadway quality? No. But for a theme park, it's pretty good. And, as seems to be the general concencus, just think of that air conditioning! By the afternoon, you'll be tired, you'll be hot, and sitting in a cool, dark theatre for forty-five minutes will sound pretty good.
    And I second whoever mentioned looking forward to the rumored Beauty and the Beast show.

I like it, it is a good thing to do if your tired and really hot it is ACed inside and great seats. The thing is they change actors every so often so sometimes they suck. The Geniue is funny only half the time the other half it is the same old joke if you go to DL more thn 3 times in 3 months or so I think.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Alright, I'll see it, but I want the option to walk out! ;o)
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Neep meep beep

Micoofy: How about this - get in at the last minute (the Aladdin theater rarely gets to full capacity, and it can hold a LOT of people, and then get a seat nearest the exits? That way you can walk out if you don't feel it's up to your idea of a good time, and then go ride Tower of Terror!

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

Yeah! You're going to go and see it! My family and I loved it. We have only been to DL twice and enjoyed Aladdin both times. Please let us know what you thought of it when you get back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast