Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Fight On for ol' SC!

LAPD Motorcycle Officer Hurt While Assisting at Crash Scene Outside Downtown Disney

ANAHEIM, June 16, 2006 - An off-duty Los Angeles police motorcycle officer who was turning around at the scene of a deadly motorcycle accident near Disneyland was struck by a sport utility vehicle and badly injured Friday morning.
    The officer was on his way to work with the West Traffic Division when he came across the scene of a deadly motorcycle wreck on Disneyland Drive just north of Magic Way about 2:30 a.m., said Anaheim police Sgt. Rick Martinez.

The officer was making a u-turn at the intersection to check the accident out when he was struck by the SUV. The SUV then hit a traffic signal and went over the curb. The officer, whose name has not yet been released, was taken to UC Irvine Medical Center in extremely critical condition. The name of man killed in the first motorcycle accident was unavailable. Martinez said the motorcycle went off the road on a curve and hit a bridge abutment.

Parts of Disneyland Drive and Magic Way remain closed around the intersection while officers continue to investigate the scene.

Courtesy of ABC 7 in LA. Thought this may serve as a precaution if you are planning to go to DTD or through Disneyland Drive. They are completely shut down in both directions. And also pray for the officer who was injured.

• Mexihick, y'all

Re: LAPD Motorcycle Officer Hurt While Assisting at Crash Scene Outside Downtown Disney

Geez. Sounds like drunk driver time all around!

• Senior Minion

Re: LAPD Motorcycle Officer Hurt While Assisting at Crash Scene Outside Downtown Disn

I hope the officer comes out of this soon. At first when I saw the title I thought it was a hit-and-run while he had someone pulled over. Speedy recovery to this officer.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: LAPD Motorcycle Officer Hurt While Assisting at Crash Scene Outside Downtown Disn

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    Speedy recovery to this officer.
    Ditto on that TicToc... I hate storys like this where officers are hurt while doing their job. Definitely sounds like a drunk driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesnít make anything anymore, but thatís not exactly true. Weíre the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• That Guy

Re: LAPD Motorcycle Officer Hurt While Assisting at Crash Scene Outside Downtown Disney

Best wishes to the motor officer and all members of the LE community.

I am afraid you guys are probaly right, the driver was probably impaired. What a shame.

We recently lost a motor officer in Gilbert, AZ when he was driving from home to a DUI task force, he was struck and killed by two underage drunk drivers.Motor officers almost always are assigned their bikes, which they take home every night and commute to and from work. The moment they get on that bike, they are on duty, looking our for us.

The LA officer would have never been hurt if he just drove past that scene and did his own thing. That is just terrible.

Prayers and thoughts to the officer, his/her squad mates and family.

• Minion FOREVER!

That's really horrible.... Prayers and thoughts to the officer, all of LAPD and
    family.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Prayers sent to all those hurt.

Uhg, stupid drivers.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

It doesn't look like alcohol was involved, in fact, it might have been the officer's fault.....

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1183582.php

A 35-year-old Anaheim man is dead and a Los Angeles police officer is critically injured after two related motorcycle accidents near Disneyland early today.
    Arthur Vargas Jr. was killed in an accident that took place at about 2 a.m. on Disneyland Drive just north of Magic Way, according to the Orange County coroner's office. He hit a wall along the northbound lanes of the roadway, likely because he was going too fast, said Anaheim police Sgt. Rick Martinez.
    Los Angeles Police Department police officer Mike Toth, 45, was headed to work on a police motorcycle from his Garden Grove home at about 4:30 a.m. when he came upon the northbound lanes of Disneyland Drive, which were closed for the death investigation. The road leads to the northbound Santa Ana (I-5) Freeway.
    The officer made a U-turn and was hit by a GMC Envoy SUV coming southbound. The officer may not have realized that the southbound lanes were open, and there is a curve in the road and shrubs that may have blocked the view of the officer and the woman driving the SUV, Martinez said.
    The SUV hit the motorcycle and then a traffic signal. The woman driving the SUV was taken to a local hospital complaining of pain in her neck.
    Toth, who is married and has two sons, has been on the Los Angeles force for nine years and is assigned to the West Traffic Division. He was taken to UCI Medical Center in Orange, where he is reported to be in critical condition, Martinez said.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• That Guy

Not buying it. Not that the press ever gets things wrong, of course, but my money is on a 45 year old motor officer that has more the likely been on motors for quite a while. Either way, speedy recovery for all involved.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

My gosh... I hate these stories; breaks my heart. Tragic for everyone involved.

Sincere and heartfelt prayers that the Lord will watch over this guy's injuries.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Well, as the news article stated, his vision might have been blocked, I have seen plenty of police officers run red lights without having their lights/sirens running. It was 4:30 AM, and he either thought the southbound lanes were closed, or didn't see the SUV until it was too late.

I think the fact that the SUV driver was not arrested or cited is a major point, if she was drinking, she would have been booked and then taken to the hospital.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

Thoughts and prayers are with the injured officer.

• Minion

I agree with Darkbeer.
    Although well intentioned, making a U-turn there was risky. It doesn't sound like the SUV driver would have any warning of what happened, and you certainly wouldn't expect it that time of morning.
    I have seen officers put themselves and others at risk with bad decisions as well. they are only human, and sometimes break the rules!

• Island Paradise

Shoot. He was trying to do the right thing. I hope that he recovers soon.

• Neep meep beep

Yes, why do people assume alcohol is involved ... is it just based on the time of night/morning? Accidents happen 24 hours of every day, most of them without any alcohol involvement!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast