Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Yoy know what? I don't think the ride is as bad as everyone thinks. In fact, lots of people never rode it in the first place. They just jump on the bandwagon because everyone else does. Kinda like when all the Anti-Bush stuff started. A lot of people didn't even have a real good understanding of the issues. Fahrenheit 9/11 comes out and EVERYONE starts hating Bush lol!

And about Kingdom of the Dinosaurs... Come on guys, the ride had crappy effects, crappy sound, and crappy smells. Personally, I think they should have updated it rather than scrap it. I'd rather see a a new dark ride than a roller coaster there however. It was basically a glorified "Tunnel Of Love" anyway, and I don't miss it THAT much... Someone put money in to make Calico Mine Co. better before that is scrapped too!!!
    What was magical of the ride was the ride gave you chills down your spine. There isnt really any ride that I can name that gives you a cold chill. You really felt like you were in another time on that ride. I also agree though that the ride had a ton of potential with new technology.

• Merry 2014!

the best part of stuporstar, er, superstar limo was viewing your picture just before the ride ended. when i saw the expressions on my and my family's faces, we laughed and laughed and laughed. i wish they had sold those pics. would be the prize of my disney collection.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States
    Disneyfreak, if you think Kingdom of the Dinosnores was EVER a great ride, you would have creamed your jeans over Knott's Bear-y Tales (THE great dark ride that KoD took over). KBT had fun characters, a tune that could stick in your head like nobody's business, and it smelled WONDERFUL.

• Animatronic

I rode Beary Tales AND Kingdom of the Dinosaurs many times. Beary Tales was better executed as the building as built for it, but I liked the time travel theme of KoD much better. KoD was still rather weak as the ceilings were too low for dinosaurs and, well, the dinosaurs looked like giant sponges and the T-Res sounded like a bored guy saying "roar, roar". Being so critical, it's no surprise I spent much more time at Disneyland.

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626
    Soap Box Racers was the E TICKET to end all etickets it was just so fun. I was beyond pissed when they tore it down to make way for another "EXTREME COASTER".

Soap Box Racers > Everything else
    Amen brutha. I was so disappointed and upset when they tore those out. It pretty much ruined my week.

• HollywoodsNewestSensation

"Mystery star hits L.A., and L.A. hits back!

Well, at least I know I'm not the only one who liked Superstar Limo. And I will definitely be joining the MySpace group.

I still get into little arguments at work over Superstar Limo, and I will defend it forever. And every day when we get off the tram on the way to Block Party and pass by all the limos sitting outside behind ToT, I always stop for a second and feel a little sad.

The thing I never understood about why people hated Superstar Limo was that is was JUST like all the other cheap-looking, wooden-cut-out dark rides over in Fantasyland. Snow White and Pinocchio may have a few more animatronic figures, but they are still covered with painted flats. They are no different from Superstar Limo.

Even if you hate (or should I say hated?) Superstar Limo, here is one thing you can't dispute, and one of the reasons why I most liked it: When DCA opened, all we heard about was how too many attractions were clones or cheap carnival rides with not enough for kids to do. Superstar Limo was UNIQUE to any Disney park, and it was one of the only things I could take my entire family on when we all went to DCA.

I totally agree with whoever pointed out that lots of people who say Superstar Limo was horrible probably never even rode the thing. Lest we forget, it wasn't even open for a full year (closed in January 2002).

To those of you who did experience Superstar Limo, I'm sure there was SOME part you liked. There's no way anyone (well, except Al Lutz)could have gone through the attraction hating everything...
    Last edited by TweedlDum9; 04-27-2005 at 12:15 PM.

• Minion

One vital difference between Hitler's SSL and the Fantasyland darkrides was that the Fantasyland rides were actually populated with characters that people want to see. And they are represented faithfully. You can truly feel that 2-D characters have jumped off their painted backgrounds and been realized in 3-D.

Who seriously wanted to see a 3-D caricature of bad B-list ABC celebrities, many of whom had been demoted to the C list or lower by the time the ride closed?

The ride did have merits on paper, but the execution was just painfully bad. I still think Monsters will follow the same suit. At least Incredibles could make good use of the limo vehicles with a little cosmetic surgery, and SuperHero Limo would have a more current appeal. But, with Disney looking into the one-day parkhopper, it probably won't matter anyway,
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CoasterMatt
    Disneyfreak, if you think Kingdom of the Dinosnores was EVER a great ride, you would have creamed your jeans over Knott's Bear-y Tales (THE great dark ride that KoD took over). KBT had fun characters, a tune that could stick in your head like nobody's business, and it smelled WONDERFUL.
    AMEN CoasterMatt!!!! Beary Tales was superb! The smell of the boysenberry pie, the story the whole thing, I CRIED when they took that out to put in KoD. I've never liked KoD simply because it replaced my beloved Beary Tales. sniff sniff. Beary Tales was the best.

Soap Box Racers was the E TICKET to end all etickets it was just so fun. I was beyond pissed when they tore it down to make way for another "EXTREME COASTER".
    This one just made me MAD!! Ohh I was soo mad that they took the Soap Box Racers out, that ride was SO GREAT!!!

I miss the old Knotts

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TweedlDum9
    To those of you who did experience Superstar Limo, I'm sure there was SOME part you liked. There's no way anyone (well, except Al Lutz)could have gone through the attraction hating everything...
    I thought the mud slide effect in the Malibu scene wasn't horrid.

Absolutely everything else was absolutely horrid....

We in an airport.... we're driving through a comedy club... we're on Rodeo drive... We're in malibu.... this poorly done and very creepy CGI guy keeps blabering at us about something or other on a tv screen... There are a bunch of way creepy fiberglass figures.....

OHHHH, THANK GAWD IT'S OVER!!!!!!!

"Swifty here, babe... Welcome to Hollywood!"

I'll give you that one, Dshimel... He was a pretty creepy-looking puppet.

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    One vital difference between Hitler's SSL and the Fantasyland darkrides was that the Fantasyland rides were actually populated with characters that people want to see. And they are represented faithfully. You can truly feel that 2-D characters have jumped off their painted backgrounds and been realized in 3-D.

Who seriously wanted to see a 3-D caricature of bad B-list ABC celebrities, many of whom had been demoted to the C list or lower by the time the ride closed?
    But you're totally ignoring the POINT of Superstar Limo, which was to PURPOSELY depict a cartoony, fake, tongue-in-cheek Hollywood! I personally would have liked to have seen some more classic celebrities (like passing Marilyn Monroe standing over the vent), but how could you have not laughed at Regis Philbin popping out with a wad of money while your driver says, "It's Regin Philbin... and that's my final answer!"

• Reaver of Souls

Bleh. I hated this ride from day one. I rode this on one of the AP preview days before DCA opened to the public, and after standing in a 1.5 hour line in the rain, mostly outdoors, to get on this total waste of space headache inducer was awful. And anything previewed on, with, near or around Rosie O'Donnell is automatically cursed, and doomed to failure...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• keep moving forward...

ive got a great idea... lets tear DCA down and make a pumbaa parking lot to go along with timon!

I'm kind of sentimental about SSL because of what happened on my first visit to DCA. I went with friends who had already been on everything. We were working our way around the park when someone mentioned that I hadn't been on StupidStar Lame-O yet. And then someone sort of made a face and said, "Oh my God, we don't have to go on THAT do we?" The look on each person's face was totally priceless.

So first I was intrigued because I hadn't expected there was going to be a dark ride in DCA at all. Then, once I started hearing how horrible it was, that got me downright excited to see it!

I think I had that weird expression on-camera too, because I was just laughing half out of embarrassment for Disney and half enjoying the sheer strangeness of the whole thing.

I'm told that this ride came out the way it did because they scrapped the original concept partway through the development process, due to fear by management and/or PC-police that the original ride concept would generate negative publicity.

--and, the other subjects in this thread--

Bear-y Tales and Soap Box Racers were both so great!!!

By the way I have wondered something about Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, how it came to even exist. It seems to me a lot of what you saw in the ride was quite a bit like some of the effects found in Spaceship Earth and Universe of Energy. Things like the wavering prehistoric man projections, the lightning tunnels, and some of the dinosaur figures. So my theory is that the same subcontractors who designed the stuff that went in Epcot Center probably had built mock-ups which were still sitting around in their studios, and somehow the Knotts people figured out that they could buy these at a reasonable price, and the ride concept was developed based on the odds and ends they were able to acquire. Or, those subcontractors having already designed the effects once could now make similar ones much cheaper than the first time around. This is just a wild guess but I wonder if that could be what happened? Does anybody know?

• Que que no-tu-rah.

Quote Originally Posted by TweedlDum9
    but how could you have not laughed at Regis Philbin popping out with a wad of money while your driver says, "It's Regin Philbin... and that's my final answer!"
    Easy. I didn't find it funny in the slightest. In fact this ride creeped me out, bored me and made me angry. So I guess it was in fact unique to all the Disney parks as no other ride has ever done all three of those things to me at the same time.

I agree that the idea has merrit, but the execution was beyond flawed and veered much closer to the apocolipitic. Every aspect of this attraction had at least one serious flaw. Good riddance! Here's hoping for a great big beautiful tomorrow in this location.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast