Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• He's a Beautiful Pirate..

Not Close Enough to the House of the Mouse

New Orleans Square Question...

Hi! I'm curious about something I recently saw along the wall near the Rivers of America at Disneyland. It's very close to the Tom Sawyer raft entrance. If you look up from the wall, you are staring at the Haunted Mansion. There are red bricks, within a grey brick arch. (Some of the bricks of concrete smoothed over them.) Around the grey brick arch are the large grey bricks (different sizes). At the top of the grey brick arch, there is an off-square with the date (I assume) of 1764. No cast members seem to know the story. I have a picture, but I guess I can't attach a picture. (???? I'm new to this posting.) I love the stories of Disneyland attractions, etc, and wondered if anyone knew what it was for this one. Thank you!

• My life is better with DL

Re: New Orleans Square Question...

If you upload your image to photobucket.com you can attach it. Feel free to private message me for more help.

^This is the life!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

If it's the spot I think it is, the story I had heard, someplace, was the it was supposed to be a smuggler's secret entrance into the Mansion when it was used as a smuggler's headquarters. Later, it fell into disuse and was walled up.
    Mike

whoa whoa whoa . . . hold on here . . .

I thought I knew allot about Disneyland but this . . . this was never even on the radar.

Pictures and more story behind the magic please . . .

• Minion

According to a story, it was a secret get away for the pirates who lived in the mansion. Obviously it is for show but looks cool

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Try imageshack to upload a picture. You don't even have to register to the site

I heard the same story as mcow1.

• Inhospitable about happy

Poof! Like magic.

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

You know... I saw that last week and just thought it was "odd"... are these stories meaning to say that their once was an actual entrance and "walled up" or never anything ... no real tunnel, just the fake wall.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2
    Poof! Like magic.

HBG, for a relatively new guy, you're awesome! I was just looking through my photos, and "poof", you provided.

I always smirk when I see this arch, because I know the fan fiction story behind it. But I don't believe a word of it. New Orleans, as we all know, is a sinking city, so it's not unusual, if you've been there, to see what used to be portals, doorways, etc,. walled up and other stuff built on top of it. Underground Atlanta is the same thing.

It's just for part of the theming of the land, nothing more, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    HBG, for a relatively new guy, you're awesome! I was just looking through my photos, and "poof", you provided.

I always smirk when I see this arch, because I know the fan fiction story behind it. But I don't believe a word of it. New Orleans, as we all know, is a sinking city, so it's not unusual, if you've been there, to see what used to be portals, doorways, etc,. walled up and other stuff built on top of it. Underground Atlanta is the same thing.

It's just for part of the theming of the land, nothing more, as far as I know.
    First off, thanks for the kind words. Secondly, there may be more to the smuggler story than fanfic. The official backstory of Gracey Manor provided for the HM movie says that it was built near the river so that the owner could use secret passages between the house, the crypts of the adjoining graveyard, and the nearby riverfront in order to carry on clandestine activities like smuggling with pirates. This "Legend of Gracey Manor" can be found at DB.com here: http://www.doombuggies.com/movie1.htm It can also be found (in a slightly abridged form) in the library of the virtual tour of Gracey Manor at the official HM movie website, which is still up. So it's an "official" Disney tale in connection with the movie. Of course, the movie was poorly received, especially by longtime HM fans, and is being purposefully ignored in the new HM renovations, but if the movie had been a smash hit like the POTC flick, then I suppose tie-ins with the ride would have been strengthened, as we see happening with POTC. (Thank God the movie flopped: can you IMAGINE an Eddie Murphy AA figure in there? I'm gonna be sick...). Anyway, I think, although I'm not 100% sure, that this fake archway was put in back when the movie was being shot, part of an anticipated tie-in to the movie that no one would care to exploit today.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

That's the much-rumored "secret" tunnel to Tom Sawyers Island.

And now you know...
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2
    First off, thanks for the kind words. Secondly, there may be more to the smuggler story than fanfic. The official backstory of Gracey Manor provided for the HM movie says that it was built near the river so that ...I think, although I'm not 100% sure, that this fake archway was put in back when the movie was being shot, part of an anticipated tie-in to the movie that no one would care to exploit today.
    So this walkway was only put in a few years ago? And nobody said anything, and nothing points it out? I could have sworn I saw it there after they built the Fantasmic arch pathway over Pirates, and that's more than 10 years ago.

Can someone confirm or deny?

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    So this walkway was only put in a few years ago? And nobody said anything, and nothing points it out? I could have sworn I saw it there after they built the Fantasmic arch pathway over Pirates, and that's more than 10 years ago.
    Well, I'm only referring to the phony arch, not the walkway. I don't know when the walkway was built. Also, the "arch pathway over Pirates." Do you mean the pedestrian bridge-like arch in front of POTC as opposed to the nothingness that was there before--just flat pavement? That bridgeway was constructed 20 years ago, between 1985 and 87! I have some home video from 7/18/87 in which I express surprise at this "new" feature, and we had previously visited in 1985. (Where do the years go?)

• He's a Beautiful Pirate..

Not Close Enough to the House of the Mouse

THANK YOU EVERYONE! I haven't been able to get answers. This is great stuff.

Try looking at item #28 in Kevin Yee's book "101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast