Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Disneyland adding a Walt Disney impersonator for photos. Good Idea or Bad Idea?

creepy.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Re: Disneyland adding a Walt Disney impersonator for photos. Good Idea or Bad Idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck
    I do understand many of your view points and respect them.

I also understand that times change and the execs might not care too much on what more "devoted" fans think whether its creepy or not because as we all know, they do what they want, hence DCA.

I hope everyone does embrace the Walt Disney impersonator when and yes, IF, he debuts in the new campaign starting Oct. 1st.
    Only the devoted fans would recognize him or care to have a picture with him, so if those same devoted fans are overwhelmingly creeped out by the very idea, then there isn't much audience.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

True, I was just curious what MiceChatters thought regarding this topic and/or idea. ;o)
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Is it just me, or does that guy look more like Freddie Mercury than Walt?

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Please tell me WDW doesn't play "We Are the Champions" during this parade...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I would say no to the impersonator but woul suggest getting rid of the Lincoln show and replacing it with a Walt Disney show. They could replace the Abe Lincoln animatronic with a life-like and state of the art Walt Disney AA. Then the Walt AA can tell the story of Walt Disney and show vintage video clips at times during the show.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot
    I don't know if they ever call that character Walt Disney in the parade? Is he listed as such anywhere? He's just a young animator drawing mickey mouse and handing out his drawings to the crowd, like all the others artists they have in that parade :P Yes the inference is rather obvious, but legally speaking it's just a young artist drawing mickey mouse(how else could mickey mouse cartoons have gotten started).
    I was at WDW in April and saw that parade and before the parade started, there was a CM entertaining the crowd, to keep us occupied, and he told us that when we see a young man at a drawing board in the parade, to be sure and yell "Hi Uncle Walt!". So we all did. So, yes, it is supposed to be Walt.

I wasn't offended by it. I also wouldn't mind seeing "him" walking around the park. JMHO!

JULIE

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

attention lovely and passionate MiceChatters, your attention should now be focused on the float below at WDW's Share a dream come true parade.

If an impersonator can be on a float, why not on the ground for photo ops?

I think that looks more like Ub Iwerks, the man who brought Mickey Mouse to life.

• Minion

I see no reason to have a Walt "Face Character" walking around. Matter of fact, just typing that sounds dumb. Walt Face Character... Yuck...

Every character in the park is just that... a character. Should they start having Imagineer Face Characters too? Perhaps a Paul Frees impersonator by the Haunted Mansion?

What for? Who besides hardcore Disney fans would recognize him. The majority of my generation wouldn't recognize Walt anyway! I'm not the type to go up to characters and talk to them like they're real, and I certainly wouldn't do that with a Walt impersonator. I just don't see a need for it, and it really seems odd that someone would really want to get an autograph by a fake Walt too...

But hey, someone wanted to put out flowers in memory of POTC so maybe I'm just out of the loop!

Well, Mickey Mouse used to talk...and with a Brooklyn accent; but that's another story.
    I agree...bad idea. I don't even like the Partners statue. However, I've had the thought for years (back as far as when Mark Harmon actually looked like a young Walt)...I'd love to see a biopic done on Walt Disney. Not the Walt Disney Story, but a movie like they made of Al Jolson, called, 'The Jolson Story'.
    It would be pitiful to see Walt as an inpark character. To be true to life, I see him sitting on a park bench, hunched over, crying his eyes out... yelling "what have they done to my park!"
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Gumball Rally Godfather

UB Iwerks

The Impersonator

You Decide.

Personally, I think it is a bad idea. Nobody will ever be able to fill Walts shoes... EVER!
    Last edited by Circarama; 06-19-2006 at 09:27 PM.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    UB Iwerks

The Impersonator

You Decide.

Personally, I think it is a bad idea. Nobody will ever be able to fill Walts shoes... EVER!
    They look almost exactly the same. I think maybe some of the cast members confused this impersonator as being Walt Disney. I think it is Ub Iwerks honestly.

Thanks fro sharing the Iwerks picture too Circarama .

• Earth Intruder

That would be way sexy -- Walt Impersonator by day, Julie Andrews impersonator by night. Walter/Waltoria... THE MUSICAL!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• back in Austin

I agree with the others that the character on the float in the parade does not look enough like Walt to necessarily be representing him. My first thought, with the other guy in the green vest right next to him, is that they're both animators who are drawing Mickey. I don't think either of them is supposed to be Walt himself.

And yes, he looks more like Ub Iwerks or Freddy Mercury.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Add me to the pile of NOs. It seems that the only reason face characters are in Disneyland in the first place is that they are bringing a fictional character to life. (Aladdin, Mary Poppins, the Princesses, etc.) Walt Disney was not Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Wally the Moose, or the Staypufft Marshmellow man. He was an amazing human being for which I have a great deal of admiration and respect. To have an impersonator running around signing autographs seems a bit disrespectful and pointless.

I also think there is the larger issue of the "spirit" of Walt being found throughout Disneyland. Not a ghost, mind you, but his personality and imagination are everywhere you look. The PARK is Walt Disney. In light of this, dressing some poor shmoe up as Walt would be very silly indeed. (IMO )

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast