Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

• Neep meep beep

Re: NO WINE at the BLUE BAYOU?

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    What's awesome about the new Blue Bayou is that I don't think Ouimet wants APs there! XD He knows that for the most part they are incredibly cheap and searching for a deal, and so they would never eat at the new BB! So, haw haw joke's on you, out of town geusts can fianlly enjoy BB again!
    So the Blue Bayou is NOT the new Passholder's Lounge?

• The Dark Ride

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    What's awesome about the new Blue Bayou is that I don't think Ouimet wants APs there! XD He knows that for the most part they are incredibly cheap and searching for a deal, and so they would never eat at the new BB! So, haw haw joke's on you, out of town geusts can fianlly enjoy BB again!

Wow. I've always been generally supportive of you but boy-oh-howdy is this flamebait. You make a terribly negative generalization of the majority of the members of this community. I really, really hope that's not the culture Matt is encouraging, becuase it will definitely lead to hard times. If you pay attention to the AP's who post here, it seems we all go to the park to SPEND money.

Anyway. Just wanted to say bad form, bad form.
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

• insufferable know-it-all

Quote Originally Posted by Pugman
    After looking at the pictures of the new BB food posted elsewhere, I rescind all my previous comments regarding BB. That food doesn't even begin to resemble what constitutes "fine dining" in the 21st century, so the wine discussion is virtually a moot point as far as I'm concerned.

For people whose frame of reference are similarly-priced steakhouse chains such as Ruth's Chris or Morton's, the food might be perceived as acceptable or even good (but certainly not better). And for a splurge meal for folks with very limited dining experience beyond corporate concept chains like Outback, Cheesecake Factory, Rainforest, etc., it might even be their "meal of a lifetime" (which is very sad). But more likely, those people will feel ripped off because they're used to Flintstonian-sized portions for 30%-50% less money

I really hoped that BB would be sort of like Emeril's, minus the drinks and the "Bam!"...moderately creative/non-threatening but very well-prepared Louisiana-inspired food. Instead, we get two appetizer choices, a really abominably ugly salad, bad rolls, uninspired--and apparently inconsistent--entrees, and very pedestrian desserts (a creme brulee sampler is pretty much a cliche these days).

The reason I'm harshing on it relates to the initial hyperbole about BB becoming the "best restaurant in any Disney resort." What I see is banquet food from a 3-star hotel (circa 1993) served in a wonderful setting.

I would love nothing more than to be proven terribly wrong. In that case, I'll gladly eat my words...and their food. I'm going to DL in a bit over 30 days, so if I want priority seating anywhere I'm going to have to decide soon. I really wanted to give BB a try, but I'm really having reservations about making a reservation. Waaaaa...
    Well, we shall have to stick to visiting Commander's Palace in NO or Vegas for our fine dining fixes. But there are worse fates

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Well, we shall have to stick to visiting Commander's Palace in NO or Vegas for our fine dining fixes. But there are worse fates
    In Vegas, go to Lotus of Siam instead. :-)
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by millionairegirl
    If Matt really wants Blue Bayou to be a fine dining experience it needs to have wine. I think it will fail at the increased price point if it doesn't. I personally would not dine there for dinner without the option of wine. Simple solution for me. But I wonder how many people will be willing to pay those prices for a not complete (imo) dining experience?

But I would not want that to extend to beer carts or margarita stands around DL itself. Not that there's anything wrong with that inside DCA or Epcot or other Disney parks. But in DL it's a tradition. But I would like to see at least wine served inside BB.

As far as not wanting to see inebriated people inside Disneyland I don't think there's a large problem now with DTD and DCA right accross the way, I can't imagine wine in Blue Bayou would change that.

Excelent point, its just wine with dinner! not beer carts like at a fair, the last thing I think anyone of us wants is for disneyland to lose its incredible appeal, I love disneyland just like the rest of you, and I dont want a bunch of drunken idiots ruining our resort, but in this case I think its more than acceptable to have a glass of wine with my king crab legs! And please dont tell me to go somewhere else, I dont want to, I want to enjoy the Blue Bayou. With or without wine, I just think it would be nice to have the option when paying $30 to $35 for an entree! I went in today just to look around and it looks great, and cafe orleans looks great as well I talked to meagan from class of 2006, and she was very nice as were all the people at the BB, they let me walk around and soak it in! I cant wait for our dinner on sunday!
    5.6 miles away from the entrance of POTC!

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dark
    Wow. I've always been generally supportive of you but boy-oh-howdy is this flamebait. You make a terribly negative generalization of the majority of the members of this community. I really, really hope that's not the culture Matt is encouraging, becuase it will definitely lead to hard times. If you pay attention to the AP's who post here, it seems we all go to the park to SPEND money.

THANK YOU!!
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

All I know, is that the more that prices go up in the park, the more I either:
    • Eat at Whitewater (And because the CMs are so darn nice!)
    • Leave the park for food
    • Bring food
    I don't mind the idea of a 'fine dining' restraunt in Disneyland, but I never plan on eating there. It's getting to the point where the only times I eat in the park, are with a group of MiceChatters. I enjoy DL food, but as getting to the point where I can't afford it. Blue Bayou has no attraction for me now (as does 90% of DL's eateries). I hope that's what Matt wanted.
    -Monorail Man

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    All I know, is that the more that prices go up in the park, the more I either:
    • Eat at Whitewater (And because the CMs are so darn nice!)
    • Leave the park for food
    • Bring food
    I don't mind the idea of a 'fine dining' restraunt in Disneyland, but I never plan on eating there. It's getting to the point where the only times I eat in the park, are with a group of MiceChatters. I enjoy DL food, but as getting to the point where I can't afford it. Blue Bayou has no attraction for me now (as does 90% of DL's eateries). I hope that's what Matt wanted.
    Hopefully "Matt" gets a clue and kicks it up anotch over there at the BB! It sure would be nice if the BB was the premier restaurant at DLR. It sure has the location!
    5.6 miles away from the entrance of POTC!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dark

I concur.

To me, anyone legally entering Disneyland's main gate is a paying customer. er GUEST - with cash and apparently-never ceasing credit limits. It shouldn't matter to Melmel or Matt or anyone in between whether a potential BB customer is an AP or not.

If people want to buy AP's and go to Disneyland seven days a week and spend money, that's their right. I don't fully understand that kind of devotion but to each their own.

If they act like jerks, they should be treated that way like any other ticket holder. But enough of negative generalizations like that one, please.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• The Dark Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    I concur.

To me, anyone legally entering Disneyland's main gate is a paying customer. er GUEST - with cash and apparently-never ceasing credit limits. It shouldn't matter to Melmel or Matt or anyone in between whether a potential BB customer is an AP or not.

If people want to buy AP's and go to Disneyland seven days a week and spend money, that's their right. I don't fully understand that kind of devotion but to each their own.

If they act like jerks, they should be treated that way like any other ticket holder. But enough of negative generalizations like that one, please.

--Barry
    Well said. Just let me clarify, though: in my seemingly never-ending criticism of the BB changes, I am -not- saying they should change it because it doesn't appeal to me as an AP holder. Quite the contrary, I think the ONLY people it will appeal to now are AP's, as we're the only ones who spend nothing on a given day to get IN to the park, and could actually attempt to spend $100 for two people to eat lunch. I know people on vacation spend money like it's going out of style, but your average tourist is going to say, 'Lunch at BB, or souvenirs for the next five days?' Or, 'BB or we can go to Universal Studios/Sea World/etc.'? This just is not going to be an acceptable trade for most people, unless they are exceptionally wealthy...and in that case, the problems everyone is pointing out in this thread come into play.

So now BB is -only- for extremely wealth vacationers or AP's as a special occasion place. (Or perhaps a 'have to try it once just to say I did' place.) That's the irony here, I don't even think melmel (and by proxy Matt, if she's stating his position accuratelt) is -correct- in her statement. With gas prices so high, people are stretching budgets. Sure, they're in the mood to splurge while on vacation, but the new BB isn't a splurge, it's a dealbreaker.
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

• JML

BB quality and Wine

Frankly, the BB is not going to be the best experience in any Disney Resort anytime soon. Matt (or whoever it is) should go to Paris and try the Walt's (in the Disneyland Park) or better, the Manhattan (in the New York Hotel) or the California Grill (in the Disneyland Hotel). Those are really good restaurants (and they do not cost more actually). Boasting should only be tolerated when it is slightly based on truth...

Speaking of the wine (since it is the thread' subject), I am quite surprised and puzzled by the objections. What being drunk has anything to do with it? A good wine enhance the dining experience and the taste of the food served (go to any great restaurant anywhere in the world). You do not need to drink half a bottle to enjoy the experience. I am tired of hearing the same poor and lame argument: "Alcohol is evil!!!!" ; "It is harmful!!!" Well, since we are speaking about health, don't you think that the Coca-Cola Company has a slight responsibility in our children's obesity (with all the sugar they put in their drinks)? And it is served everywhere in all the parks... Nobody has yet complained I believe...
    Jeanmi

• Minion

Re: BB quality and Wine

Quote Originally Posted by jml338
    Frankly, the BB is not going to be the best experience in any Disney Resort anytime soon. Matt (or whoever it is) should go to Paris and try the Walt's (in the Disneyland Park) or better, the Manhattan (in the New York Hotel) or the California Grill (in the Disneyland Hotel). Those are really good restaurants (and they do not cost more actually). Boasting should only be tolerated when it is slightly based on truth...
    I think the award for best restaurant in a Disney theme park goes to Magellan's at Tokyo DisneySea. It may be pricey but the atmosphere is phenomenal. The staff are extremely friendly and always by your side. The food is also top notch, and on par with the top gourmet restaurants.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

I've always ordered a full meal at Blue Bayou, because it's a fine dining place, and should be respected as such. When I feel like shelling out the cash, I go, regardless of my AP status.

Also, I do think it would be a nice place to have a glass of wine with my meal, but I understand why it's not an option.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011