Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disneyland Characters

The last couple times I have been at Disneyland I have noticed that there doesnít seem to be as many costume characters out as there use to be. I was recently at Disneyland and did not see many of the characters out. I was looking back at some old films and pictures from when I was younger and it seem like they were all over the place. There was also a variety of characters roaming the park. I just felt that this was a huge part of Disneyland and also made Disneyland different.
    Anyways I was just wondering if this is true and if it is why arenít as many out anymore. I Again I could be wrong, I just want some answers if anyone has any.

• Disney fans for life!

I agree. I'm not sure when they started what I call the structured autograph/picture areas like they have now (listed in the daily guide as to where and when the certain characters might be), but I know the kids get a bigger kick out of seeing the characters walking around impromptu and especially on the rides. My seven year old got to ride on Dumbo with Goofy once and he probably will remember that his entire life. That kind of thing is what makes DL a very special place to be. It should happen more often.

yeah i rode splash mountain with tigger and pooh once, one of my best memories. theres barely any characters now! when i was little there were even characters from disney tv shows like tale spin and gummy bears...now its just the main ones, and the ones promoting the most recent disney movie.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    How cute, I didn't know they let the characters go on rides. But I agree the impromptu sessions are sadly missing....

Why can't Mickey still appear on Main Street? Just because Mickey's already signing autographs in Toon Town?

Dad on cell phone: I'm here with Billy at Town Square getting Mickey's autograph.

Mom on cell phone: Becky and I are in Toon Town getting Mickey's autograph. How can that be?

I think they're concerned kids will compare notes and times and determine Mickey's not real.

Also, could it be that they really just heavily staff the characters early in the morning to meet guests as they enter the park? And when I arrive at around 11:30 they're already on break or gone to work in a show or parade or something. I know Aladin and Jasmine have call times at the Hyperion. hehehe.

• Disney worshipper/geek

Actually, I was at Disneyland last Sunday, and I think things are getting a little better. Along that little pathway from Tomorrowland towards the Matterhosn & IASW, Alice, Wendy, Mad Hatter, Capt. Hook, the White Rabbit, and Tweedle-Dee (or Dum, I'm not sure) were playing Red Rover with a bunch of kids. After the game, Peter Pan showed up. Later, we saw Alice, the Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins, and Bert on the careouseal (I know I spelled it wrong). Bert had a kid with him dressed like him, probably some kid whose birthday was that day, or a friend's child. They walked over to the Sword in the Stone and tried to pull it, failing of course. But "Mary" was fantastic! She stoof there while Bert tried to pull it with such a Julie Andrews look. We eventually got to take pictures when they stopped by the old entrance to the Sleeping Beauty walk-through. I'm serious, this woman, sounded EXACTLY like Julie Andrews!! She was great!! Bert took out chalk and started drawing chalk pictures on the ground with a few of the kids, singing Chom-Chimeree. He was sweet as anything for pictures...

Also, while we were waiting for Ariel, we saw Cinderella walk by with two of her mine AND Prince Charming. We mentioned how you never see the princes.

OH! And in the morning we saw Princess Aurora walking around. It was like they were out in force!!!!

But I agree that usually, we get stiffed on the characters. You's think the ones that don't have a ride like Robin Hood or something would get to do that to even things out...
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    How cute, I didn't know they let the characters go on rides. But I agree the impromptu sessions are sadly missing....

Why can't Mickey still appear on Main Street? Just because Mickey's already signing autographs in Toon Town?
    I've seen Mickey on Main Street multiple times.

I have no complaints about characters- I see tons. It all depends on what day/time you're there. I do agree there is a lack of variety, but I'm there for the characters.

Plus, look at these gems I caught last November:

• Disney fans for life!

Great job Michelle. I've never seen those two before. I have noticed in your posts that you are in quite a few pictures with the characters. That's great! Keep it up.

• Still wants to be a cat!

On Friday afternoon, behind BTHRR saw a whole bunch of characters - including The 4 penguins from Mary Poppins, Twiddle Dee & Dum, Baloo, The Mole from Robin Hood (he was all alone so I gave him a hug), The Mad Hatter, Eeyore and a couple more. Made it tough going to get to Fanatasyland, but I have never seen so many at one place at one time!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

I'm sure there will be plenty of characters around for the 50th

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy999
    On Friday afternoon, behind BTHRR saw a whole bunch of characters - including The 4 penguins from Mary Poppins, Twiddle Dee & Dum, Baloo, The Mole from Robin Hood (he was all alone so I gave him a hug), The Mad Hatter, Eeyore and a couple more. Made it tough going to get to Fanatasyland, but I have never seen so many at one place at one time!
    That's the EXACT place and characters I saw back in November. It was so weird, they were just bunched up in one place with no particular point??

• Minion

It seems like the last few times we have been, there have been more characters out.

During the 90's you could only see Mickey in his house in TT. Now he is on Main Street quite often. morning, and late afternoon it seems like.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    There may be less charactes due to stupid meet and greets popping up. That's the case at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom.

Yay my 150th post

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I go to the parks on both coasts and have noticed that Disney World tends to have more characters out than does Disneyland. When we inquired about this, various cast members at the Happiest Place on Earth admitted that there had been a cut back in the character department some years back. Some of those that were eliminated include: Br'er Rabbit, Br'er Bear, Br'er Fox, Piglet, Roger Rabbit, The 3 Little Pigs, Bernard, Bianca--and many others, actually. It's very sad.

ORWEN: In Florida, they recently brought back The 3 Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf. Plus Br'er Rabbit is seen around from time to time. They even had Thumper and Flower out over at Animal Kingdom to help advertise BAMBI's recent video and DVD release.

ORDDU: The best way to save your favorite Characters is to complain at Pest Relations, demanding equal opportunity to meet, greet and play with the personalties you paid such high prices for to see!

Thanks for the info on the disneyland characters. I hope durning the 50th they bring back some of the old characters that we dont see as much anymore. It would really make the 50th even better.

• Disneyland Freak

An unofficial list on where to roughly find the characters at DL can be found here...

http://hop.to/DCE/characterinfo.html

I'm sure they will be out in greater force for the 50th.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast