Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Re: Disneyland Video Legalities

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch
    P.S. You are nicer than I would be about this. Since you know the name of the person, I would be contacting Guest Relations and inform them that one of their CM's sent you this, basically, threatening email. Then give them a copy!
    Dang, I never looked at it from that angle that the emailer was a CM. He's claiming to legally represent the Disney Corporation as a spokesman and should be reported. I'm sure Disney would not be amused at the fact that a Jungle Cruise Skipper has decided to become a JC Lawyer and represent the company.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95
    I think Ryan's little buddy is just jealous because you didn't videotape HIM and post it. He's really tired of living in his shadow and wants some of the spotlight too!
    OK, so from your name you have walked this path. As a Jungle Cruise Skipper, I would guess that the following is true. Correct me if I'm wrong:

1) You love being in the lime light and the center of attention.
    2) You could careless if someone photographed/video you.
    3) You are comfortable with yourself and don't mind other peoples opinions of your performance.

Should I go on, these things are why people dream to be JC skippers. I'm not one, nor would I enjoy being one. However, I have a great respect for those that do and couldn't imagine one who would not want to be highlighted on a personal video. After visiting Club 33's site and viewing the videos I can't see Ryan being offended.

Personally, I don't see any reason why you can't post the video. Who knows the intentions of the emailer. I hope they reply cause I would like to hear their rationale.

BTW, great response (as others have said) to a poorly worded attack.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ
    OK, so from your name you have walked this path. As a Jungle Cruise Skipper, I would guess that the following is true. Correct me if I'm wrong:

1) You love being in the lime light and the center of attention.
    2) You could careless if someone photographed/video you.
    3) You are comfortable with yourself and don't mind other peoples opinions of your performance.

Should I go on, these things are why people dream to be JC skippers. I'm not one, nor would I enjoy being one. However, I have a great respect for those that do and couldn't imagine one who would not want to be highlighted on a personal video. After visiting Club 33's site and viewing the videos I can't see Ryan being offended.

Personally, I don't see any reason why you can't post the video. Who knows the intentions of the emailer. I hope they reply cause I would like to hear their rationale.

BTW, great response (as others have said) to a poorly worded attack.
    To answer your questions:
    1) Yes, to some degree.....I don't try to be the center of attention, but when I was on my boat giving my tour I did demand that I was the center of attention.

2)Yes. I actually didn't even notice half the time that I was being videotaped but when I did notice a videocamera on me I would make sure they had a great video. Same went with having my picture taken. Whenever I worked greeter or was hanging out near the unload I would often have some girls come up and want their picture taken with me which I would happily oblige.

3)Yes! I loved my job and I didn't care if you thought my jokes sucked as long as someone was enjoying my performance. I always remembered that you will never please everyone all the time.

Now, to add some more thought to this. Personaly, I enjoyed being videotaped. I love the fact that somewhere in this world, someone may be watching their old home movies of their one and only trip to Disneyland back in 1995 and watching me on tv. If I didn't want to be videotaped or photographed I would not have chosen such an interactive attraction such as Jungle Cruise.

• Senior Minion

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, but I believe that your admission media also grants you a license to records items and events which occur or may occur during your visit for private, non-commercial use.

So as long as you're not going around with a Panaflex camera, or shooting Umatic video with a lighting crew and an audio team, you ought to be safe.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95
    Now, to add some more thought to this. Personaly, I enjoyed being videotaped. I love the fact that somewhere in this world, someone may be watching their old home movies of their one and only trip to Disneyland back in 1995 and watching me on tv. If I didn't want to be videotaped or photographed I would not have chosen such an interactive attraction such as Jungle Cruise.
    Exactly, and I'm so thankful that there are people like you out there. Disneyland would exist (and especially the JC) without people who are outgoing and willing to be out in public.

• insufferable know-it-all

Perhaps I'm the only one here who feels you should just remove the video out of respect. Chances are, that's not a "friend" of Ryan's but Ryan himself. I don't know, doesn't seem worth the battle to me. Honestly, the original email wasn't "bullying" in any way, it just reads like a stern request to remove.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Former Epcot CM

Fellow skipper?
    Maybe jealousy is a factor in here somewhere...?
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Entering Disneyland allows them to use you for anything they choose...photos, video, if they take it and you are in it they get you. However in reverse there is nothing that says you cannot use CMs in your photos or videos. As long as the video isn't taken where Disney specifically says you can't record one, you can record a video, and share it with family and friends without a CM or worker or performer being able to say yes or no.

On the flip side...I found that first email (if copied exactly) to be a lousy one. Nothing proper about it...and if I was serious for someone to take something of mine of thier site I'd want the email to be grammatically correct, use correct capitalization and punctuation and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch
    When you work at these places, you ARE going to be photographed, videotaped, and if you do something REALLY stupid/funny..you will probably end up on America's Funniest Home Videos (I know I have seen tape of more than one Disney Character falling off of a parade float - and I'm sure they never got permission from Disney to televise those).
    I'm sure Disney knows exactly what appears on AFV... After all, it's their show...

I think just because you can do something, does not necessarily mean you should and if someone has requested you remove the video, the proper thing would be to acquiesce, even if you can technically "get away with it".

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Neep meep beep

Your post title is "Disneyland Video Legalities", and then you state "don't worry, I'm not looking for legal advice here", so I'm not sure that I can help you by providing a legal opinion.

You then ask what Ryan's "rights" are, and to the extent he has any, he's waived them by agreeing to become a cast member in a public place.

The fact that you're not charging to see, or selling, the video, makes a HUGE difference, but if you would like to talk about this in confidence, feel free to email or call me anytime.

And finally, in your response, it's "breaking the law", not "braking", unless you're talking about a device to stop a moving object or vehicle.

• Know More Than You Should

Yes, well, thank you everybody for your opinions. First of all, I am fairly assured that the email did not come from Ryan, since the name of the person that sent it was that of a woman (so if he was trying to seem like someone else, he was doing a great job).

And I am not putting up this video simply because I can, I am putting up all my videos for the enjoyment of everyone, myself included. If Ryan himself wants this video removed, that's one thing, but otherwise just because one person who is supposedly a friend of Ryan (I have no way of verifying that) emails me does not mean I must snap to attention and do what they say.

And once again, I did not start this thread for legal advice; rather I was a little shell shocked by the email and wanted a little assurance that I was not doing anything wrong here. Like I said, the videos are for fun, not for breaking the law or invading anyone's privacy.

And with that, I think this thread has gone as far as it need go, so I am closing it, at least for the time being. I will update this thread get a response from this person. Thank you all for your advice and support.

• Know More Than You Should

The Story Continues

UPDATE (6/29): I said I'd update you if I got any reply, and two days ago I did. I didn't get the email until today however, it got stuck in my Spam filter.

Ryan, Skipper Ryan himself, sent me the following email:

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper Ryan

Dear #####,

My name is Ryan, and I am a skipper on the jungle cruise at Disneyland. My friend Laura, wrote you earlier regarding the removal of my video on your web site. It is very important that this video be removed. I am very flattered that you posted it, however, my job is now at risk due to the fact that I strayed off script. I need this job, and can't afford to lose it. As far as legallities, I am not entirely sure that it is legal, but morally, I would appriciate it if the video was removed as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time, I will be in touch,

Skipper Ryan

What did I do? Well I immediately removed the video for one. It may appear on Google for a few more hours as changes in my account take time to appear on the site, but I said if Ryan wanted it removed, I would remove it, so thats exactly what I did. I also sent the following reply:

Quote Originally Posted by My Reply

Dear Ryan, first of all, I appologize for the belatedness of this email; it got caught in my spam filter. I sympathize with your concern, and as of 4:00pm, Thursday, the 29 of June, the video has been removed (keep in mind it may take a few hours before the video no longer appears on Google Video, that's google's end of it, not mine). Just so you know, the video has been very popular, with about 1500 viewings in the time since I posted it, so I congatulate you on a good job. I am well aware of DL managements dislike for non SOP jokes, so I appoligize for being a source of concern. Please keep up the good work at Disneyland,

-#####
    So that's the end of the story. I do hope Ryan hasn't gotten into any trouble over my video; although it wouldn't really be my fault if he had.

• Neep meep beep

Okay then, thanks for the update.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast