Re: Disneyland Video Legalities

Well done! Thanks for the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• That Guy

I think you did the right thing in taking the video down. As for his pal asking you to take care of it first, hey, who here doesn't look out for their friends?

His email to you was very kind and polite and I am happy you pulled the video. It would be a shame for someone to get fired when your whole intent was to make this a positive.

MF

Didn't Ryan say his friends name was Laura? Are there female skippers? Plus how could he get in trouble for straying from the script? At any time, someone in charge could go on the ride and see for themselves in person if they were sticking to the script.

my 2c
    jan
    Janette

No matter what kind of trouble he may be getting into that is not your fault. It was courteous of you to take the video down but if he doesn't like the taping he needs to work somewhere else. We all know that any Disney park and any ride and at any time it could be taped. We also all know that if Disney did not want you to tape/photograph something they let the guests know about it.

Anyways I like it when the Jungle Cruise guides add in new jokes. The best one was a ride during Fantasmic! and the guide used her flashlight as her magic and quoted Mickey from the show.
    Kungaloosh!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I am very flattered that you posted it, however, my job is now at risk due to the fact that I strayed off script.
    Why do I find that to be a convienient excuse and or a sad comment on Disney's management?

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget
    Didn't Ryan say his friends name was Laura? Are there female skippers? Plus how could he get in trouble for straying from the script? At any time, someone in charge could go on the ride and see for themselves in person if they were sticking to the script.

my 2c
    jan
    If the skippers saw a supervisor they WOULD stick to the script. Sometimes they get bored of the same jokes, time after time after time. I don't blame them for slipping new stuff in there, that is how some 'official' jokes came to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I think just because you can do something, does not necessarily mean you should and if someone has requested you remove the video, the proper thing would be to acquiesce, even if you can technically "get away with it".
    I agree with you, sometimes you have to ask yourself, is it ethical? Instead of illegal. The thing I found odd about Ryan's friends' letter is that he continued to state that it was "illegal," which it isn't and it overall looks intimidating. If Ryan asked me personally to take it down, I would certainly take it down.

• Closed Account

You have to remember one rule! If someone's likeness is used in video or stills you MUST have their consent for posting the multimedia file on the Internet, published in a public forum (movie, slideshow), or in printed format.

Even blurring out their likeness can be considered to be in the grey area for legality.

This is regardless of them being part of the attraction or simply having been an innocent bystander passing through the field of your camera or video camera.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

*shakes head*

Do none of you know about all of the back-stabbing that started after Indiana Jones opened? If somebody caught you going off-script (even if the jokes were decent), fellow skippers would rat you out and get you fired. Disney would go so far as to get your fellow CMs to hide in the bushes to hear you do something not in the script, or get someone to dress as a civilian and sit in a boat, or record it and report back to get you kicked out. I don't know how often this happens now, but trust me, any 'incriminating evidence" can get you fired. For more information on this, I suggest reading Mouse Tales.

If you see certain pictures online or videos on tv, faces can oftentimes be blurred out. There's a reason for it. Though I suppose this might be a more specific issue since this guy was working there...I wouldn't have put this video up without the person's consent.

• Know More Than You Should

my 2c
    jan
    There are definately female skippers. And Skippers have gotten in trouble and even fired for failing to stick to the SOP script jokes. If you're interested, I suggest you check out "More Mouse Tales" by David Koenig, there's an entire chapter on the Jungle Cruise.

And I think that legality is always questionable on Disney websites. Almost all of the Disney fan sites violate Disney copright in some way, and certainly pictures and videos have been posted without the permission of every person. I do agree its important to look at the moral aspect of things, which is why I removed the video. However just because some person (with questionable grammar) sends me an angry email ordering me to remove the video doesn't mean I will. In this case the right thing to seemed to be to follow Ryan's wishes, which is what I did.

Also, I do wonder, how would I have gone about getting Ryan's consent? It's not as though I could just email him (although now I do know his email address, but I digress.) I suppose I could have asked him before leaving the boat, but that would have been silly.

• "Always On The Move..."

Club33,

You did the right thing (morally) by taking it down when Ryan politely asked you...

However, if you work in the "Public Eye" especially Theme Parks, you agree to be photographed and/or videotaped by the public when you sign on. (I posted on this earlier in the thread)

So, it didn't matter if you did or did not ask his permission to use his likeness in a non-profit arena..but the fact that you did what he requested ...Hats off to you!!!

However, as I didn't get to see the video...my question is how far off script did he go to be so concerned? I mean a bit off script is one thing...but I've had skippers that really play off of a fun ship load of guests and go a bit.."South" (for lack of a better word. However, they are usually so funny at that point that the entire boat is laughing/crying/ and gasping for breath).

Hmm wonder if Ryan is going to go off script anymore.

Anyways..Kudos to you for taking the High Road!!
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

• Know More Than You Should

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch
    Club33,

You did the right thing (morally) by taking it down when Ryan politely asked you...

However, if you work in the "Public Eye" especially Theme Parks, you agree to be photographed and/or videotaped by the public when you sign on. (I posted on this earlier in the thread)

So, it didn't matter if you did or did not ask his permission to use his likeness in a non-profit arena..but the fact that you did what he requested ...Hats off to you!!!

However, as I didn't get to see the video...my question is how far off script did he go to be so concerned? I mean a bit off script is one thing...but I've had skippers that really play off of a fun ship load of guests and go a bit.."South" (for lack of a better word. However, they are usually so funny at that point that the entire boat is laughing/crying/ and gasping for breath).

Hmm wonder if Ryan is going to go off script anymore.

Anyways..Kudos to you for taking the High Road!!
    If you search google, the video might still be on there...I'm not sure. It will certainly be dissapearing soon though. There is a link in my original post.

• "Always On The Move..."

It's already gone. But thanks anyways...
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

• Banned User

Wink Re: Disneyland Video Legalities

Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep
    You have to remember one rule! If someone's likeness is used in video or stills you MUST have their consent for posting the multimedia file on the Internet, published in a public forum (movie, slideshow), or in printed format.

Even blurring out their likeness can be considered to be in the grey area for legality.

This is regardless of them being part of the attraction or simply having been an innocent bystander passing through the field of your camera or video camera.
    Not completely true... no for profit can get around that rule... Student films can as well... (I'm taping this for a student film.. lol)

You did the right thing.. now i wonder could you visit him again.. and get an SOP version... lol

• Minion

my 2c
    jan
    There are numerous female skippers, one of my favorites was Tiffany. And they can get in big trouble for not using the approved lines. It is not a specific script, however, the jokes are approved. If you want to use a joke, you submit it for approval. And they do have people specifically there to validate CMs are doing their jobs properly. Imagine, being paid to go to Disneyland and ride the rides....
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast