Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A New Plan for DCA

Okay, I've been thinking about what could make DCA into a world class park to rival some of the other Disney parks around the globe. As I was pondering this question I realized why I really wasn't to impressed with California Adventure when I was there last summer, it's a museum!
    Here in Minnesota, we have something similar to DCA, it's called the Minnesota History Center, and until recently...it was FREE!

I've been to several parts of California on many different occasions and I figured out, DCA held little for me because I had seen all of the things it was trying to represent. I did not go to California to see a park based on California. So then I was thinking, what overlay could be given to DCA that would involve almost no cost to Disney, would be asthetically pleasing and fun at the same time, then it dawned on me...Disney's America.

Here's how I percieve a DCA metamorphosis.

Sunshine Plaza -> San Francisco - New Cannery Row overlay, with an old watertower, like House of Blues, showing off the Disney's America logo. The Golden Gate could stay, so can the train. The sun sculpture will have to go, but Disney could just move it to downtown Disney somewhere. A new "weenie" icon could be a giant American flag, or some kind of kinetic water sculpture with American icons.

Paradise Pier -> Luna Park (East Coast) - The northern part of the park would be cleared out, with the zephyr and the jellyfish relocated to the southern part of the lagoon. The area formerly occupied by them would be given a New England theme, with a new hurricane themed attraction. Golden dreams would be emptied, and possibly used for the new hurricane attraction, or maybe something completely different.

Hollywood Pictures Backlot -> Golden Hollywood (California)- This area would stay relatively the same, except for some cosmetic changes to the facades. Instead of the area taking on a behind-the-scenes hollywood look, it would be more of the Hollywood of the imagination, with old 1930's cars and a never-ending gala movie premiere at the Hyperion. Possible rides/shows: Vault Disney, keep the Animation building, a new indoor ride form of Catastrophe Canyon, new version of Superstar Television, and of course, a new Great Movie Ride.

Grizzly Peak -> Rocky Peak (Rockies/National Parks) With slight modifications to the nose and ears of the grizzly mountain, it could easily be a wolf. GRR could be renamed Wolfpack Rapids or something similar, and the entire area would become more of a rocky mountain national park type area. The challenge trail would be redesigned by WDI to better fit in with the new theme.

Condor Flats -> Eagle Flats AFB (Space Race) Soarin' over California would be given a new movie, that's the only adjustment. The Taste Pilot's Grill would remain the same. The only theming difference would be the addition of various historical American space craft and other NASA themed building overlays. The area would become America during the race for the moon, with Soarin being a new astronaut training flight or even just a flight across America.

The Cannery Row/Factories -> Fesitval of Nations. A celebration of American diversity and culutral harmony. The factories could stay basically the same, with just a slight theme variation. New sub-areas would be Chinatown, Mexico, etc.

Bountiful Valley Farm -> Heartland Farm. This area could be modified to resemble the great plains farm area. A new cheese shop, farmer's market, and other adjustments would be easy to add. ITTBAB could stay, but a Bug's land would have to go. A new tornado themed attraction would fit in nicely here. A new mini-farm could be built with the return of Minnie-Moo.

Winery -> A new improved American Adventure attraction ala Epcot. New story, new AA, new theater, etc. The show is really good, and just because the idea is a clone, it doesn't mean the show itself has to be.

Timon Parking Lot -> New Land TBD (Possibly Dixie, the Smokies, or (insert your idea here).

This is the product of my latest brainstorm, what do you think? Feel free to add your ideas!
    Last edited by DoppelV; 04-18-2005 at 09:37 AM.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Minion

Haha. My mom and I were joking about how they should turn DCA into "Americaland"; all the rides would have guns like Buzz, the employees would be supersized, you couldn't buy any food that wasn't fried.

• Minion

I think your ideas are great!

• Minion

I don't think changing California Adventure into a park that was shot down before it even opened will solve any problems. If anything, it will create more. Besides, let's face it, if California isn't an exciting enough theme, Iowa is somehow gonna be an improvement?

The theme isn't the problem, it's the approach. "Contemporary," "hip," and "edgy" are words that have to be thrown out of the DCA vocabulary, in favor of "classic" and "timeless." And once the new approach is set, replace the shows and exhibits with rides that suit this approach to the California Adventure theme.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Santa Barbara, CA

I think this is too hard a leap..It's we're trying to make The Alamo into the Ala Moana.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Banned User

It would take a major renovation to change it to America. It would cost just as much as building the park from scratch but that would be necessary to get the park looking awesome.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    I don't think a contemporary theme with an edgy feel is a problem...it certainly works for Epcot.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    I don't think a contemporary theme with an edgy feel is a problem...it certainly works for Epcot.
    Really? Ask most people and they will tell you Epcot isn't working.

The part that works, World Showcase, is the antithesis of contemporary and edgy.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market
    Niyxstyx, you're not the first to have this idea. In fact, in the week after 9/11/01 Al Lutz wrote an article on Mouseplanet about this very same topic which can be found here: http://www.mouseplanet.com/dca/america.htm

The problem, however, is that Disneyland is already mainly American-themed and a park dedicated soley to america would be somewhat redundant. If an America park were to be built next to Disneyland, it would automatically be robbed of 19th century America, New Orleans, the Old West, and the Mississippi river area, and those are all prime thematic ideas. Some of these ideas would be much better adapted to an expansion of Disneyland. (Aside from San Fransisco. That can stay in DCA )

• Que que no-tu-rah.

I always thought that the best idea was to bring the abandoned Disney's America plan to CA when it was announced that a new park was going to be built. The main problem people had with the original idea of Disney's America was it's location and being too close to actual historical sites. Surely there would be people who would object to Disney doing an American themed park, but I believe if the project was given the right amount of attention, those voices would soon be silenced.

However, to re-do DCA now with this theme is most likely prohibively expensive. They're just going to have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Besides to completely redo a theme park (a Disney first) would be an exceptionally shamefull thing for Disney. It would be admitting complete, utter defeat. I don't think they are ready to accept that and honestly the park could be worse. Even though they are in a minority I belive, there are plenty of people who enjoy DCA quite a bit. To get the rest of us on board the DCA appreciation train though it's clear that Disney is going to have to make some changes.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

• Minion

If they ever make this idea a reality I think we should keep some kind of Disneyland History tribute in the Main Street Opera House and move the Hall of Presidents to the new park. Also, I really don't think there would be a problem with this new theme park because what is currently at Disneyland is more of a fantasy-based version of America and what would be at the proposed park is based more in reality. The Timon parking lot should be a tribute to early American history ie. the Pilgrims, maybe a land themed toward Native Americans w/Pocahontas, or something with the American Revolution. Although, it'd be hard to do without being too preachy.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Really? Ask most people and they will tell you Epcot isn't working.

The part that works, World Showcase, is the antithesis of contemporary and edgy.
    World Showcase works? Having observed crowd patterns there for the last 16 years, I would say definitively that Future World is FAR more popular than World Showcase. There is not a single extremely popular attraction in World Showcase--Maelstrom is the closest, and its popularity is waning with wait times of maybe 30-40 minutes in the middle of summer. Compare that to Test Track, Mission: SPACE, and now Soarin's wait times. Even Livin' with the Land has longer queue lines. Epcot sees about twice as many visitors annually as DCA, so yes, it works fine.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    Well also people, DCA does have stuff to do with DISNEY, so this american park needs to have something to do with disney... And for tourists, how extactic would it be to go to Disney's America.... No offence, but just yeah, I wouldnt want to go to a theme park thats just alllllll american... It makes it to me seem more like a museum then what we started out with... Disneyland, is magic, fantasy, imagination... Disney's America would be well... all things america... Not that apealing to the tourists

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• The one, the only...

A great idea and something to add.

I think that the suggestions are good for DCA. God knows it needs help! I believe that adding a time change makes a stagnant concept fun. Ok, have Hollywood, but put in an a different time that cannot be visited in the REAL Hollywood 50 miles away. Put is firmly in the 30's or 40's. Change the SF theme and make sure it is early California, about 1850. Changing the TIME makes all the difference to me. :o I agree as it was said before in Miceage, immerse the people in the period to really make the magic happen!

I have another suggestion. I agree that the original Disneyland, was America centered so it seems redundant to have another park with a similar theme. Well, why not annex it? Just make this whole thing one park!! It will still take two days to see it all! It will fix the problem that DCA is really not big enough to be its own park. I know that the MBA's are thinking that the whole reason for DCA was to force guest to fork over another $60 to get in. But DCA has been such a bust that 2fer's for locals are happening already. I know that the MBA's won't go for it, but I think that it is a way to save this gross mistake that they made and redeem DCA!!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

America wouldn't work cuse they would totaly have to reintroduce the park to the public. Some good quick fixes in my opinion would be a Dumbo styled ride in a Bugsland (near the entrance) You would get to ride on Dot and fly over a bugsland. It would be an good wennie for you to enter the land, This would be perfect for a quick and cheap ride. For the longterm they should get rid of the Route 66 area (Zypher, Jellies, Muholland) This they should put some Disneyquality attractions in a San Fransisco theme. Imagine this looking accross from Paradisebay you see a new row of Waterfront type buildings one of them contains a resturaunt with a seaside view of California Adventures Waterfront Fountain Spectacular. The building next to it contains a fantastic E-D ticket attraction. . . Firequake this is Backdraft mixed with a Earthquake simulator, replicating the 1900 Earthquake/Fire that almost ruined the city, The plot is you are at a factory about to be given a lecture by the manager, you enter your seats and then the quake strikes the whole area moves drasticly and then . . . The factory catches on fire and there is these massive explosions after this four minute spectacular the quake stops and you are told to evacuate the building as soon as possible into a room with an old fashion TV that shows you a 8 minute video on Earthquakes and the Tragic one of 1900 something. Then you exit that ride and look at the Golden Dream Building but you realize something has changed? There is a new ride in there called the "Goldenstate Adventure" simaler to its american counterpart this is hosted by three people who did alot for California. . John Muir, Arnold Schwartzeneger, and Ronald Regan. This 28 minute specatcular features many animatronics and is a not to be missed DCA attraction.

Well that is the wat I think DCA should go into the future because it is impossible to get rid of the Californian Theme.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast