Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Smile Are Female masked- Characters all female and visa versa?

Ok, I am pretty sure the princess are women... Alice In Wonderland... woman.....she was even wearing a wonderbra so I knew she was authentic. (That part of the post did not need to be there ---sorry) but are masked characaters like Minnie and Daisy female? Are Mickey and Donald male? Is there a rule?

It looks to me that there are more male than female characaters, but i could be wrong.

Lets see...Masked Females... Minnie, Jessie, Lilo, Daisy.... others?

Masked Males ...Pinichio, Goofey, Donald, Chip,Dale, Gepetto, Mickey, Hook, Smee, Tigger, Pooh, Brer Bear, Brer Fox, Eeyore etc etc

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Are Female masked- Characters all female and visa versa?

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    Ok, I am pretty sure the princess are women... Alice In Wonderland... woman.....she was even wearing a wonderbra so I knew she was authentic. (That part of the post did not need to be there ---sorry) but are masked characaters like Minnie and Daisy female? Are Mickey and Donald male? Is there a rule?

It looks to me that there are more male than female characaters, but i could be wrong.

Lets see...Masked Females... Minnie, Jessie, Lilo, Daisy.... others?

Masked Males ...Pinichio, Goofey, Donald, Chip,Dale, Gepetto, Mickey, Hook, Smee, Tigger, Pooh, Brer Bear, Brer Fox, Eeyore etc etc

Not sure, but I know some of them are females. I think Mickey can be sometimes.
    Women tend to be not as tall and more loving...so I think the prefer women as characters...not sure though.

We just need more like Tarzan.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Do you think I'm... odd?

As long as you can pantomime female and you fit the height requirement, you can be cast as the opposite sex. In fact, they prefer if you can pantomime many different characters so you can be utilized as much as possible. A friend of mine who fit a very broad height requirment actually had to memorize 48 different signatures for autographs. Basically, it doesn't matter what gender you are. And that's good... Equal opportunity! ^_^
    Ask me to share your fantasies, dear, but don't ask me where tomorrow is
    Don't ask me where to find happiness, though I know for sure where sorrow is

"A mistake played with hesitance is a mistake. A mistake played with authority is an interpretation." @}--->----

• Defying gravity

No - masked characters are NOT GENDER SPECIFIC. (I know, kinda wierd.) I took a tour in WDW a few weeks ago, and our tour guide told us a story about her friend's son - his first job at WDW was playing Flora in a parade (that's one of the three fairies in Sleeping Beauty). So, Minnie can be a boy, Donald can be a girl, etc.

Ok, I am pretty sure the princess are women... Alice In Wonderland... woman.....she was even wearing a wonderbra so I knew she was authentic. (That part of the post did not need to be there ---sorry)
    Um, yeah that is inappropriate. Why do you gawk at the undergarmets of Disney characters? (And Alice is NOT A PRINCESS.) Oh, BTW, all princesses must be the same size. Our tour guide said they must be a size 8 or a size 10. (Those sizes are a little smaller than what is now an 8 or a 10 - WDW has never changed their sizes w/ department stores, so their 8 is probably a size 6.)

Hope this helped to clear up any confusion....

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

I don't know or have a specific answer, but I'm pretty sure I read (or heard) that it's more persons physical characteristics that determine what non-face characters they can portray. Some of the costumes are very heavy or have size restraints that won't allow a tall person to be in them. But as for a true answer, I can't help. Never worked there or known anyone in that role. I just know that I would be freaked out by a 7' Mickey.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRedAngel
    it doesn't matter what gender you are

Hmm...I can see that according to your avatar!

• Do you think I'm... odd?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590
    Hmm...I can see that according to your avatar!
    What's that mean? I'm a girl. O_o
    Ask me to share your fantasies, dear, but don't ask me where tomorrow is
    Don't ask me where to find happiness, though I know for sure where sorrow is

"A mistake played with hesitance is a mistake. A mistake played with authority is an interpretation." @}--->----

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Smile Re: Are Female masked- Characters all female and visa versa?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590
    Why do you gawk at the undergarmets of Disney characters? (And Alice is NOT A PRINCESS.)
    It was NOT a planned guesture I assure you.Still, all in all Both the Tweedles looked just fine. (DARN... see again! this did not need to go here..... hey wait... an I still typing or is this an inner thought.... hummm....let me test...."pickle" ---darn it,, it appeared ont the post too)

• Earth Intruder

Costumed characters are NOT based on gender, they are based on height.

Goofy, the Queen of Hearts, and Maleficent in Fantasmic are always guys since you have to be 6'4" or so to play those parts.

I can't remember the height requirement for Mickey, but it's somewhere around 5" tall, so usually it's a girl.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Do you have a 27B/6?

I had a friend in Costuming at WDW, and she was telling me a story that really got her giggling: She was walking through the tunnels, and she saw a man dressed as Minnie, and a woman dressed as Mickey.
    She started laughing, and said, "You guys are the exact same size, and they just did that to mess with you!"
    I wouldn't put it past them.
    They are the Disney Princesses and their goal is world domination. -Mary McNamara | LA Times / AP

Fall 2004: Fantasyland Attractions

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

.... are masked characaters like Minnie and Daisy female? Are Mickey and Donald male? Is there a rule?
    Hello... I toured with "Disney on Ice" way back in 1996-98.

While there is no hard fast rule on gender in costume character, Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Daisy were played by women in our show. Goofy was our sole male skater in Classic Disney character, and our understudy for Mickey was also male.

It primarily has nothing to do with gender, but body type. Mickey and Minnie tend to be shorter and more slender, a trait most typically associated with females.

• Ex Dept 915 CM

When I worked at DL in the 90's I often had my breaks with a lady in her 40's that played Mickey.

This thread takes me back to my character days a couple of people had walked up to me on stage and asked "Is that a guy or girl in there?". (sigh) Some people...

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

yeah there was one time i swear when i got my picture taken with mickey , i put my arm around "his" big dumb head and underneath i swear i could smell girly perfume , and the way micke put "his" arm around my waist i could have sworn mickey was making a pass at me ,

also a LONG time ago i ran across a website disscusing this very same thing , CastMember backstage pictures included of guys goofin off and dressing up in the Alice costume and girls in the Captain Hook costume and so on... it was quite disturbing / funny / disturbing again

My Maleficent tattoo

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliophile
    I had a friend in Costuming at WDW, and she was telling me a story that really got her giggling: She was walking through the tunnels, and she saw a man dressed as Minnie, and a woman dressed as Mickey.
    She started laughing, and said, "You guys are the exact same size, and they just did that to mess with you!"
    I wouldn't put it past them.
    It's not about their height at all.... it has to do with how well they can ACT the part... not the height requirements...

Minnie/Mickey are most usually female... but on rare instances there will be a male Mickey or even Minnie... I worked for Disney On Ice and both Minnie and Mickey where female on my show... But I know for a fact on at least 1 other show Mickey was a male... tiny little guy though...

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast