Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Automated turnstile machines?

Does anybody know if Disneyland will be getting the WDW-style turnstiles any time in the near future, I read somewhere that DCA may be experimenting with a new system (i.e.- different machines, ticket-specific gates, etc.)

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    I started a thread about this earlier today...

http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=2924

Currently they are testing at DCA only, and using the current turnstiles.... they just added some signage. (I provided a link to some photos).

Now, could they add or switch turnstiles to be more like WDW... I wouldn't doubt it... If the new policies of having multi-day tickets have biometrics are doing its job in reducing the secondary selling of partially unused ParkHoppers, that it would be worth the expense at the DLR.

Only time will tell...
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Thanks Darkbeer, I think that the turnstile in WDW are save so much more time than having CMs check every single ticket that goes through the turnstile

• No bacon; sausage.

The separate gates for AP/Comp guests seemed to be working decently well yesterday, however the CMs were still taking tickets, it was not self-operated. And I realized, unless they go to biometrics, there's no way they will go to unmaned turn styles. There'd be no other way to prevent people from transferring their APs, nor would they be able to control re-entry properly. So even though they've got the turnstyles set up now for guests to just slide their ticket into the slot, they still need someone to verify the photo for APs and check hand stamps for re-entry.

• Banned User

I think it's safe to say that biometrics will probably be installed eventually... the question is... when?

• Rat Tat Tat.

Does anyone else think that a real person at the turnstyle begins the magic at Disneyland? They are the first CM you meet at Disneyland and a machine can't quite emulate the "Welcome to the Magic!" feeling.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    there could never be no CM at the turnstiles, because there are always people to get confused. These systems just shorten the lines to enter the parks. The biometric system could be integrated pretty easily--they can just super glue those units on top of the existing machines and feed them into a central computer which feeds back to the turnstiles to tell them to let people in or not. They could probably do it overnight. I would not at all be surprised to see them premiere in time for the summer crowds.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

I like greeting a person instead of a robot gate, yes.

• Feel the breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    I think it's safe to say that biometrics will probably be installed eventually... the question is... when?
    Which metric would they use? Fingerprints? Eye scans? Something I do not know about?

No biometric system is trivial to impliment and maintain. Plus, you also have to collect and input that data, 100% correctly (imagine if they swapped peoples fingerprints on accident) into the system.

I am not saying that biometric cards will not eventually happen. DLR, and nearly eavery company, are looking for ways to cut costs, and something like this would be a way to do it, once the issues are worked out. Maybe a CM to cover two entrances?

• Master of Disaster

even biometrics is faulty. whats to stop me putting my card through and scanning my finger and sending my friend through instead? I just put my AP through twice. also with the courtesy pass line being seperate whats to stop me using my once a year courtesy pass for a friend? (we all know if you leave your pass at home you can get a courtesy pass once per renewal of your AP). they CAN'T get rid of the CM IMO.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by revol yensid
    Does anyone else think that a real person at the turnstyle begins the magic at Disneyland? They are the first CM you meet at Disneyland and a machine can't quite emulate the "Welcome to the Magic!" feeling.
    Yes yes yes yes!!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by revol yensid
    I certainly don't. I usually perceive them as the slow slow SLOW humans who delay my entry into the magic.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Notes to a few of the posts:

1) I'd rather not deal with slower CMs at the turnstiles when I can insert my park ticket much quicker myself and enter the park, so that I don't have to wait 20 minutes to enter the park and can instead spend that time interacting w/ CMs at the shows and attractions, which is what I am paying money for--not the turnstiles.
    2) There already IS a biometric system in place at WDW that works perfectly fine, and it would be no problem adding that system to DL. It measure various dimensions of your fingers, not fingerprints.
    3) You can't cheat the system because CMs are still paying attention (hopefully) and will be able to keep track of two turnstiles, making sure the person that inserts their hand into the biometric reader is the one that enters. Anyone who cannot handle that is too incompetent to be working at the turnstiles.

This system is much smarter for Disney, to avoid resale on eBay and make sure Disney makes profits on park tickets, as they should. It makes for a much faster entry into the park so that guests can enjoy Disney's attractions, for it is the rides and shows that set Disney apart from any other amusement park, not the turnstiles. This system still allows interaction with CMs at the turnstiles, anyway. CMs run two turnstiles at a time at WDW and still have the time to say "Enjoy your Adventure" as I enter Animal Kingdom. This also promotes our safety, as the usual peak season line to enter Disneyland that often reaches the CALIFORNIA letters certainly creates a prime location for any sort of terrorist attack, and getting guests into the parks faster to disperse so that crowds are smaller in the Esplanade promotes our safety. I can see no practical cons to this system, as just about everything people have offered suggests that the system won't work. It has been in place at WDW for at least 6 months and it DOES work.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• No bacon; sausage.

You know, I've observed that it's the guests, not the CMs that are the bottleneck at the entry gates. People digging through their purses becuase they didn't realize they need their ticket to get back in, people who decide that the right time to ask where very bathroom is in the park is while you've got 100 people lined up behind you, an abundance of comp passes that need to be issued and stamped which adds time, guests confused about how the 2-day 2-park passes work, etc., etc. Those kinds of things will not be eliminated by an automated system, and there will be the added problem of confusion from people who are just plain technologically illiterate.

• Minion

Well, like many things, I think we're forgetting that there's a middle ground to be found here. Keep some turnstiles the same, and create a pilot program using the automated turnstiles and such as an alternative, allowing guests to choose. If one is clearly, demonstrably better, phase one out or strike a different balance that will yield the best result for the largest amount of guests.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast