Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• Defying gravity

Exclamation Living On Minimum "Disneyland" Wages in California....

Perhaps some of you many Californians (and DL CMs) can help answer this question. How does anyone afford to live in CA on the low wages that DL pays??? Housing prices are sooooo expensive. Where I live, the average price for a house is about $150,000 (you can get a nice 3-bedroom for that). That is why I can't imagine how you can live on minumum wage, let alone buy a house, in CA. Thanks for helping to clear this issue up for me....

• A New Kind Of Villain

Re: Living On Minimum "Disneyland" Wages in California....

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590
    Perhaps some of you many Californians (and DL CMs) can help answer this question. How does anyone afford to live in CA on the low wages that DL pays??? Housing prices are sooooo expensive. Where I live, the average price for a house is about $150,000 (you can get a nice 3-bedroom for that). That is why I can't imagine how you can live on minumum wage, let alone buy a house, in CA. Thanks for helping to clear this issue up for me....
    I can't imagine you can. To live on minimum wage you either have to be living with parents; many roomates; Section 9 (Assisted Housing) and considering gas prices, probably living very close to where you work.

Either that or getting 40+ hours of overtime a week...
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• insufferable know-it-all

I barely get by on $15/hour, I was operating pretty much in the negative at $10/hr. So at Disney wages the simple answer is: you can't. That's why they're short-staffed.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

150k for a three bedroom house is unheard of in most of the county, especially a decent one.

It is not just a problem in souther CA that problem exist all over the country. Cost of living is high here in MA too so often times people need a 2nd or third job or have a living situation which saves them money such as roommates or living with family. I certainly could not live in Boston on my own.

Also that is the same reason DL is having such a high turnover rate, people are leaving for better paying jobs or working at the resort through school and leave after for "real" jobs.

• Rock Star Minion

A better demographic of CMs would be students from nearby colleges (CS-Fullerton, Chapman College, various community colleges) who live at home and need extra spending money, and only need to work, say 25 hours a week.

The current wage would appear to require CMs to be living with a lot of other people. At least four, or someone who pays the rent without asking for a contribution (parents). Live close by so as not to incur automobile costs (perhaps a bus pass at most). And eat french fries from "Push."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

However, due to chronic short-staffing, scheduling is no longer as accommodating to student schedules as they have historically been, so students are less able to work there (and the circle begins anew)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    However, due to chronic short-staffing, scheduling is no longer as accommodating to student schedules as they have historically been, so students are less able to work there (and the circle begins anew)
    Common theme: wages too low.

Who's in charge of HR? Shouldn't his/hers be the first neck to hit the axe?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• The Fantasyland guy

1 Bedroom ranges anywhere from 250,000 up to 500,000+ in irvine. (Avenue one in irvine has a 1 bed + loft for 533,000)

and Disney wonders why no one wants to work there.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590
    Yeah..you can't do it....my girlfriends sister just bought a house outside of Pasadena....2 bedrooms UNDER 1000 square feet...$600,000. I don't see how anyone could live on their wages. You gotta be a student or something and just do it part time to pull in a few bucks. It can't pay the bills.

Why does everyone expect Disneyland to page high enough wages so that CMs can live in million dollar houses? Many of them are young, in school, first job, summer job, etc. I don't know about you, but at that age, I wasn't living in a 2000 sq ft beach house.

Apt rent is relatively cheap (compared to owning a home), people routinely live with roommates or parents when they are young, you can bike to work (great weather), you can get a used car, you cook your own inexpensive food.

Cheap? Our 1-br apartment in an okay area was up to $1300/mo when we moved out (bought)

I think the cheapest you can get (in Santa Ana ghetto) still runs $800/mo+, and that's only if you wanna take your life into your hands - oh, and it's too far for bicycle.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Apt rent is relatively cheap (compared to owning a home)
    This is true but my friends in LA who rent pay nearly twice as much as what I pay (my rent is just under $700/month) for the size of what I have (just under 1000 sq feet) or even smaller. A few have roomies but the rest live on their own (like me... my last roomie was an absolute terror and turned me off on the concept forever).

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Cheap? Our 1-br apartment in an okay area was up to $1300/mo when we moved out (bought)

I think the cheapest you can get (in Santa Ana ghetto) still runs $800/mo+, and that's only if you wanna take your life into your hands - oh, and it's too far for bicycle.
    This is around the average for this area of the OC. About a mile away from the park I live in a very modest 2 bd / 1 bth apartment which runs about $1300/month (with all utilities and internet included) and with all my other bills, I'm still on a budget even making $50K+

This area isn't easy to live in period.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave
    Why does everyone expect Disneyland to page high enough wages so that CMs can live in million dollar houses? Many of them are young, in school, first job, summer job, etc. I don't know about you, but at that age, I wasn't living in a 2000 sq ft beach house.

Apt rent is relatively cheap (compared to owning a home), people routinely live with roommates or parents when they are young, you can bike to work (great weather), you can get a used car, you cook your own inexpensive food.
    Such an attractive recruiting picture you paint. With those prospects, one wonders why applicants aren't FLOCKING to DL for the privilege.

I don't know what Mojave is considering CHEAP but I have looked into apartments in that area and they were no where near cheap. If there were cheap housing available or DL paid livable wages (especially within biking distance) I would have moved there already.

You maybe able to find decent apartments for about 700-800 in central Florida cause cost of living is much less there, but that is still not cheap on Disney wages especially if you are by yourself.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast