Question August Fireworks Strategies

My other half and I will be visiting Disneyland (it's his first time) the last weekend before Labor Day weekend in late August. I know that the fireworks are best seen from the hub, but I also realize that everyone will try to be in that area. What are your best strategies for getting to close to the hub? I know that on the days I have planned for fireworks viewing, the Parade of Dreams kicks off at 7:00 and fireworks are set for 9:25.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

• Neep meep beep

Re: August Fireworks Strategies

You have three choices, in my opinion:

1. Get there early;
    2. Go to a different viewing location; or
    3. Go to an area where you can still see, but is less crowded.

I can tell you from personal experience, that since so many people are crowding the half of the hub closest to the castle, that Main street, the train platform on Main Street, and the back half of the hub, are great viewing spots. There is a roped off niche near the Tomorrowland entrance that is also great, and suprisingly almost never crowded (although there are no guarantees for August).

Me and my family saw the Fireworks from It's a Small World, and the projections were top notch, and the view was great there as well, with not nearly the crowds, but there are certain effects you must see in front of the castle for your first time seeing the show.

All the best for your trip!

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    You have three choices, in my opinion:

1. Get there early;
    2. Go to a different viewing location; or
    3. Go to an area where you can still see, but is less crowded.
    If you want best of the best
    It's the hub.
    You have the special effects on the castle and Matterhorn to see
    You have the fireworks coming up all around you.
    If you already seen it...then going father down mainstreet is fine.
    If you haven't yet...I suggest getting there about 1- 1/2 hrs. early
    Get a blanket out and set it on the ground.
    One of you can get food for each other.
    I don't recommend Small World at all (Sorry Frog...love everything else you say..but disagree on this one).
    Yes, it less crowded, but the fireworks don't do justice there.
    Now, if you've seen it a million times and you can play in your mind..then Small World is fine.

Just get there early
    Get a blanket
    Have fun.
    Still looking for a mate that love Disney like I do.
    I might have found a friend in PHX that loves it much. He's attached...but doesn't mean you can't be friends (but some how in our circle... anything seems to go...anything...but that's a whole nother chat room and not Disney)

Back to subject...sorry

have fun. See it in the hub.

And when it's Christmas there... I always suggest where the hub and mainstreet meet. You can see the firworks..then run a little big towards mainstreet and catch the snow fallng from bothsides...and of course, have your hot chocolate.
    I miss Disneyland Christmas.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Thanks to both of you. I haven't been to Disneyland in probably 7 years, and this will be Jerry's first time. The only way we've seen the fireworks has been on a DVD bought on eBay, I think.

Actually, the hour to hour-and-a-half is kind of a relief. I was thinking closer to 3 or 4 hours (I'm kind of maniacal that way). The first time I saw Fantasmic I was sitting on concrete for-ever. This time we're going for the balcony.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by disneybearcub
    Thanks to both of you. I haven't been to Disneyland in probably 7 years, and this will be Jerry's first time. The only way we've seen the fireworks has been on a DVD bought on eBay, I think.

Actually, the hour to hour-and-a-half is kind of a relief. I was thinking closer to 3 or 4 hours (I'm kind of maniacal that way). The first time I saw Fantasmic I was sitting on concrete for-ever. This time we're going for the balcony.

Fantasmic...yes, it's still 3 to 4 hours.

With everything going on, I don't think they let people block the street in front of the castle anymore than 2 hours in advance.
    You could always get there more than 2 hours in advance and get a bench.
    Prob. is they will move benches sometimes for traffic control.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Defying gravity

My other half and I will be visiting Disneyland (it's his first time) the last weekend before Labor Day weekend in late August. I know that the fireworks are best seen from the hub, but I also realize that everyone will try to be in that area. What are your best strategies for getting to close to the hub? I know that on the days I have planned for fireworks viewing, the Parade of Dreams kicks off at 7:00 and fireworks are set for 9:25.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Ok, this is how I handle fireworks. I watch the parade on Main Street (or near Central Hub). Get there, maybe...30 min. ahead of time. Proceed directly to the front of Sleeping Beauty Castle.....and sit.....a long time. You can send one person to get food, while the other STAKES OUT the spot (but don't cut it too close, you don't want to get caught in masses of people and not be able to get back to the spot.) It's takes about 1 1/2 or 2 hours of waiting, but it's really the best way to see the fireworks. This is kind of a "one a trip only" thing to do.

• Defying gravity

Oh, no - fireworks is 2 hours at most.

See the SECOND SHOW OF FANTASMIC. Don't be one of the people who waits 5 hrs. for the 9 pm show. You can always get seated at the last minute for the 10:30 pm show. I recommend showing up for a table at River Belle Terrace around 9:30 or 9:45 pm.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71
    If you want best of the best
    It's the hub.... I don't recommend Small World at all (Sorry Frog...love everything else you say..but disagree on this one).
    I completely agree! That's why I said:

"Me and my family saw the Fireworks from It's a Small World, and the projections were top notch, and the view was great there as well, with not nearly the crowds, but there are certain effects you must see in front of the castle for your first time seeing the show. "

Just telling it like it is, from my first hand experience. And you'll see people waiting in the hub even more than three hours before the fireworks in August, but there are still plenty of good seats available.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590
    Oh, no - fireworks is 2 hours at most.

See the SECOND SHOW OF FANTASMIC. Don't be one of the people who waits 5 hrs. for the 9 pm show. You can always get seated at the last minute for the 10:30 pm show. I recommend showing up for a table at River Belle Terrace around 9:30 or 9:45 pm.

So much traffic though.
    Once Fantasmic starts I avoid (unless sitting down waiting) NOS completly.
    It's packed
    One way traffic.
    And just impossible to get around.

Yes, 10:30 show is not as crowded..but getting there is.

and if you've been in the park all day and don't want to leave
    it's a great time to get a nap (9:30)
    The suns will start to go down behind the trees and you can lay there and sleep. Wake up, eat and watch the show.
    Now what is more better than taking a wonderful nap right in the hustle and bustle of NOS?
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590
    ...Get there, maybe...30 min. ahead of time. Proceed directly to the front of Sleeping Beauty Castle.....and sit...
    I think you'll find if you show up 30 minutes before the fireworks -- in August -- that you won't find a spot available to view "directly in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle". Sorry, but I have to disagree on that one.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

I completely agree! That's why I said:

"Me and my family saw the Fireworks from It's a Small World, and the projections were top notch, and the view was great there as well, with not nearly the crowds, but there are certain effects you must see in front of the castle for your first time seeing the show. "

Just telling it like it is, from my first hand experience. And you'll see people waiting in the hub even more than three hours before the fireworks in August, but there are still plenty of good seats available.
    I think we say the same things...just differently.
    I later said, if you've seen the show a million times and you can play it in your head, then Small World is fine.
    the projector there is good.

You can still get good seat around 2 hrs.
    I'm sure many get there around 3 hrs.
    Can you sit in the street 3 hrs. in advance?
    I didn't think they blocked that area off yet.
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

I think you'll find if you show up 30 minutes before the fireworks -- in August -- that you won't find a spot available to view "directly in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle". Sorry, but I have to disagree on that one.
    I agree w/ Frogberto
    I dislike those that show up 30 min to 5 min. before the show and push everyone to the side because there was a mico mini spot still open between you and the other person.
    If you get there late...GO TO THE BACK.
    It's so rude to do that when other people sat there for so many hours to get a good seat.
    Plus people I have really bad knee caps. I have to have my legs stretched or I am major pain after a couple of minutes, so I have to arrive early just so I can be pain free.
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: August Fireworks Strategies

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71
    So much traffic though.
    Once Fantasmic starts I avoid (unless sitting down waiting) NOS completly.
    It's packed
    One way traffic.
    And just impossible to get around.

Yes, 10:30 show is not as crowded..but getting there is.
    Nah. Take the train in during the first show, hang back until after the fireworks, then stroll up and get a space.

Cheers.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!