• FastPass n00b

Kevin Yee on Cafe Orleans

We haven't heard from Kevin Yee in a while, especially not an opinion piece, and I was kind of wondering his take on the new Cafe Orleans and how it compares to when he was working there. I personally love what they did with it. The uniforms, the menu exclusive to Cafe Orleans and the awesome interior and exterior are great.

Nothing really compares with a sitdown eating experience inside Disneyland. The rushed and crude food windows are great for places like Tomorrowland Terrace, but you definitely need sitdown places like Cafe Orleans and the Tahitian Terrace to not only give people the atmosphere of the land, but to take some of those guests off of the crowded walkways and put them in an out of the way corner of the land for an hour.

Re: Kevin Yee on Cafe Orleans

Kevin lives in Florida now, so he probably hasn't had a chance to see the changes yet.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Has Cafe Orleans opened finally? Or is it only doing Cast Member previews?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

It was open yesterday!
    5.6 miles away from the entrance of POTC!

• Banned User

Whats changed about it?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I'm not Kevin, and I did leave there a few years before he started there ( I believe he was a cook/runner at the French Market starting in the mid-80's).

And I never experienced the Cafe' as the "buffeteria" restaurant that I understood it to be in later existence.

But I do indeed remember when it opened originally as the "Sara Lee" Cafe Orleans, and as I recall the servers and hostesses costumes were an elegant, rather frilly red, with very nice white aprons I recall- it's been a while now, and I haven't come across any pictures.

It was basically a sandwich menu then - none of the Po Boys or chowder that I saw on their more recent "buffeteria" menu...but still some very nice offerings, and I believe some salads. I worked in NOMK and used to make their BBQ beef sandwiches sometimes...

The highlight there was the "soda" fountain - the (primarily) men working the fountain wore costumes resembling the old soda fountain "jerks" of the 50's, cap and all, while still fitting in with the Cafe theme. And they made sundaes and other desserts which were fabulous.

It was a great sit-down place, and I never quite understood why they did away with it.

I hope that helps.

BTW...Kevin had pictures on a couple of his own websites (now defunct) of New Orleans Main Kitchen...it was through a web search that I originally found those, and eventually found my way to MiceChat.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Barry - off topic but is 50 and getting better every day referring to DL or you?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman
    Barry - off topic but is 50 and getting better every day referring to DL or you?
    Me (well,both). Thanks.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

They have a great write up about the new food and some pics at www.mouseplanet.com
    Kungaloosh!

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Michey
    Kevin lives in Florida now, so he probably hasn't had a chance to see the changes yet.
    Yeah!
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Monorail Racer

It was open when I was there on the 19th, but I didn't end up eating there. I'll be interested in reading some reviews of the changes.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Kevin and I agree on this...nothing will ever take the place of the original Cafe..