Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

Disney can still build compelling and unique attractions/parks and be on budget. But wild over spending that brought us things like EPCOT can't and shouldn't be seen again at Disney - and that's ok.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mickhyperion
    I seem to remember the 1970's Disneyland as being rather ideal. It was their movie division that really stunk at the time.
    That does seem to be the pop consensus of my generation... And there are some evidence that points to the movie division reaking...

But I think it was mostly from the climate of films being produced outside of Disney that where particularly anti-child...

This is a bit off topic because I am going to talk about film here for a moment....

The disney movies in the 70's where pretty much singles and doubles too... But I don't think it was a bad as the Early 80's...

Katsenberg saved the studio... His connection with Geffin and Spielberg kicked the studio into high gear...

The following is a comprehensive list of movies from the 70's:
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltDisneyResource.net
    1970 King of the Grizzlies (G)
    1970 The Boatniks (G)
    1970 The Aristocats (G)
    1971 The Wild Country (G)
    1971 The Barefoot Executive (G)
    1971 Scandalous John (G)
    1971 The $1,000,000 Duck (G)
    1971 Bedknobs and Broomsticks (G)
    1971 The Biscuit Eater (G)
    1972 Napoleon and Samantha (G)
    1972 Now You See Him, Now You Don't (G)
    1972 Run, Cougar Run (G)
    1972 Snowball Express (G)
    1973 The World's Greatest Athlete (G)
    1973 Charley and the Angel (G)
    1973 One Little Indian (G)
    1973 Robin Hood (G)
    1973 Superdad (G)
    1974 Herbie Rides Again (G)
    1974 The Bears and I (G)
    1974 The Castaway Cowboy (G)
    1974 The Island at the Top of the World (G)
    1975 The Stongest Man in the World (G)
    1975 Escape to Witch Mountain (G)
    1975 The Apple Dumpling Gang (G)
    1975 One of Our Dinosours is Missing (G)
    1975 The Best of Walt Disney's True-Life Adventures (G)
    1976 Ride a Wild Pony (G)
    1976 No Deposit, No Return (G)
    1976 Gus (G)
    1976 Treasure of Matecumbe (G)
    1976 The Shaggy D.A. (G)
    1977 Freaky Friday (G)
    1977 The Littlest Horse Theives (G)
    1977 The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (G)
    1977 The Rescuers (G)
    1977 Herbe Goes to Monte Carlo (G)
    1977 Pete's Dragon (G)
    1978 Candleshoe (G)
    1978 Return from Witch Mountain (G)
    1978 The Cat from Outer Space (G)
    1978 Hot Lead and Cold Feet (G)
    1979 The North Avenue Irregulars (G)
    1979 The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again (G)
    1979 Unidentified Flying Oddball (G)
    1979 The Black Hole (PG)
    It got even worse durring the early 80's...

1980 Midnight Madness (PG)
    1980 The Last Flight of Noah's Ark (G)
    1980 Herbie Goes Bananas (G)
    1981 The Devil and Max Devlin (PG)
    1981 Amy (G)
    1981 The Fox and the Hound (G)
    1981 Condorman (PG)
    1981 The Watcher in the Woods (PG)
    1982 Night Crossing (PG)
    1982 Tron (PG)
    1982 Tex (PG)
    1983 Trenchcoat (PG)
    1983 Something Wicked This Way Comes (PG)
    1983 Never Cry Wolf (PG)
    1984 Splash (Touchstone) (PG)
    1984 Tiger Town (G)
    1984 Country (Touchstone) (PG)
    1985 Baby...Secret of the Lost Legend (Touchstone) (PG)
    1985 Return to Oz (PG)
    1985 The Black Cauldron (PG)
    1985 My Science Project (Touchstone) (PG)
    1985 The Journey of Natty Gann (PG)
    1985 One Magic Christmas (G)
    In 1986, Katsenburg kicked the studio into high gear using his connections with Geffin and Spielberg (Sounds familiar... SKG? Dreamworks?)

The studeo hasn't been the same since he left...

My argument is that under Cook, the Studeo will fumble into a series of singles and doubles that will look like the 70's. (Hell, they even brought back Herbie a 70's movie stable. Can we say "Nightmare on Dopey Drive?") Cook needs to depart from the studeo! Soon or it will be a desaster... And they need someone with better film connections... Just my opinion... However do you promote Cook to COO to do it? That is like Al's call to promote Paul Pressler to save DL...
    Check out my other blog:

Sorry to continue this off-topic discussion...

That 1970's movie list is definitely more impressive than I remember. But not too many blockbusters in there, just a lot of fan favorites and minor classics.

Back on-topic...

I think Pressler's role as Eisner's hatchet man can't really be exaggerated enough. There is scarcely anything he touched that can be viewed in a positive light today. Some of the few exceptions would be the Holiday versions of DL's attractions, but having come from retail, it's no wonder he knew how to promote Christmas.

Pressler and Eisner share the blame for what happened to Disneyland from 1995-2002, but I do think the outrage agianst Pressler is 100% fair. The parks were successful under Dick Nunis and Judson Green, but Pressler wanted to be a star on Wall Street...he wanted to be CEO of Disney. He was the first division head since Katzenburg to address Wall Street analysts without Eisner. The contemporary thinking on Wall Street was that theme parks were not a growth industy and Pressler bowed to it. A braver leader (like Warren Buffet) would have pushed for long term investments, but Pressler wanted to be Wall Street's buddy so he cut costs like no one else in the history of the company. Every other division head in TWDC reported to Eisner as well, but none cut costs as agressively as Pressler (although Rasulo at DL Paris came in a close second). Pressler had no love for Disneyland, it was just a stepping stone to the CEO job, and when he found out he would not get it at Disney, he left in less than 48 hours. He is the most selfish person in the history of TWDC, and that is really saying something.

• Metal Head

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Pressler's damage was overrated. Anyone who disagrees should be forced to walk through 1970s Disneyland while the company was on the verge of splitting up.

Also, I think the legend of Walt being a stickler for details with dreams bigger than his budget is a little larger than life. I remember one rumor that had to deal with Walt delaying an opening because the lights weren't all working. I think in reality, Walt would just as quickly grab a ladder, install the lightbulb himself, and throw the doors open.

Yes, people, it is about creating an alternate universe, but making money still factored into the equation. This is the guy who crimped on water fountains so people would buy Pepsi.
    disneyland was great in the 70's. I loved going then especially when they started the all day pass.

for the record he was bad for disneyland but he was great for the Angels.
    How much longer will it take
    For the world to see.
    We should learn to live
    And simply let it be.
    Bloodstone, bloodstone.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    This is the guy who crimped on water fountains so people would buy Pepsi.
    This accusation was made by some newspaper reporter that reviewed DL on opening day. This particular review is often quoted in Disneyland history books as a way to point out how Walt was the victom of unfounded accusations. There was a plumbers strike and he could not have water fountains installed. Studio workers put in the toilets. Walt was lucky to have toilets on opening day! This is a man who morgaged his house and borrowed on his life insurance policy to build the park. You really honestly believe he delibrately did not install water fountains to save a buck?

Read Disneyland: The Inside Story by Randy Bright or Walt Disney: An American original by Bob Thomas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12