Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Santa Barbara, CA

Paul Pressler Overated?

Was all the bad stuff Pressler allegedly did running the park overated? Maybe he didn't know how to run it and was just uninformed?
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Feel the breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    Was all the bad stuff Pressler allegedly did running the park overated? Maybe he didn't know how to run it and was just uninformed?
    This would somehow excuse him?

• Minion

Drawing and quartering's too good for him.
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    You, know I have been thinking about this... I really do think he was a fall guy to Eisner's Manifesto of "singles and doubles"... Which is a battle cry of every manager who wanted a promotion in the Disney Corporation...

All he had to do was run the ship... I don't think he was making the decisions, but he had to cover the mistakes of everyone else who held the Standard of the Eisner Manifesto... ("Singles and Doubles") The Disney Corporation needed restructuring from the top down... But it looks like that isn't going to happen with Iger as CEO... Because from the looks of it empowering the current management will not solve all the problems... As many where promoted because they held the Eisner Manifesto Standard...

If you look at other units, like Disney Studios, you will see the Eisner Manifesto in tact...

The Tomorrowland Renovation was doomed from the planning stage... from what I have read in the press and from postings by members on other boards WDI couldn't get anything past Stratigic Planning... And what was passed had to be under budget... Eisner ultimately made the decision... (The man couldn't trust a designer to pick out curtains for the hotels for crying out loud...)

It shows in the book on Imagineering they sell in the park... When I first read a page that implied it was more rewarding to design under budget... I darn near gaged on my Mickey Shaped Pretzle... Talk about a load of Dingo's Kidneys...

It may be more rewarding, but only because it was the only way to see one's vision implemented... I would prefer a more proactive approach... "How can we make this work with the budget we have..." If it takes longer to get the job done right, do it... This is Disneyland... Not a state fair carnival...

Right now, I feel bad for Matt and those new logs on Splash... It is a managment nightmare... And to be honest, it is an WDI problem...
    Check out my other blog:

• враг народа

Blog Entries
    It seems sort of odd. Pressler is blamed for Disneyland's downfall and Oimet is credited with restoring Disneyland. Yet Pressler was head of Resorts and Oimet is head of only Disneyland. So either Rassulo is not being given enough credit or Harris had more to do with the decline at Disneyland.

• No bacon; sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    It seems sort of odd. Pressler is blamed for Disneyland's downfall and Oimet is credited with restoring Disneyland. Yet Pressler was head of Resorts and Oimet is head of only Disneyland. So either Rassulo is not being given enough credit or Harris had more to do with the decline at Disneyland.
    I think the general belief is that Pressler was more controlling than Rasulo and made more of the decissions, while Rasulo give more of the decission making power to Oiment than Pressler gave to Harris.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Pressler AND Harriss were horrible for the DLR (Pressler also had a bad impact on WDW, where maintenance also fell) while Rasulo and Ouimet are both great for the DLR.

Shouldn't the topic of this thread be "Paul Pressler UNDERrated?" Overrated would mean, to me, we thought he was better than he really was...
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Banned User

Rasulo is a badguy too. He has openly said that "rides and attractions can be built with smaller budgets" and hes from strategic planning too. The only good thing is he has the decency to let the park presidents like Ouimet call the shots.

• No bacon; sausage.

"overated" as in his influence was overated.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    I don't think having the Roy Disney view that attractions can be built w/ some cost-cutting is a bad thing. Let the park presidents play the Walt role and let Rasulo keep their ideas reasonable. Cost-cutting has been a part of Disney Parks and Resorts since 1955.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• No bacon; sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    I don't think having the Roy Disney view that attractions can be built w/ some cost-cutting is a bad thing. Let the park presidents play the Walt role and let Rasulo keep their ideas reasonable. Cost-cutting has been a part of Disney Parks and Resorts since 1955.
    Bingo. There's cheap, and there's frugal. Walt was no dummy, he had his brother there for a reason. I think the current team has shown definite signs of finding the right balance between the visionary and the budget minded. They aren't quite there yet, but things have been moving in the right direction.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Pressler's damage was overrated. Anyone who disagrees should be forced to walk through 1970s Disneyland while the company was on the verge of splitting up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon
    Bingo. There's cheap, and there's frugal. Walt was no dummy, he had his brother there for a reason.
    Also, I think the legend of Walt being a stickler for details with dreams bigger than his budget is a little larger than life. I remember one rumor that had to deal with Walt delaying an opening because the lights weren't all working. I think in reality, Walt would just as quickly grab a ladder, install the lightbulb himself, and throw the doors open.

Yes, people, it is about creating an alternate universe, but making money still factored into the equation. This is the guy who crimped on water fountains so people would buy Pepsi.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 04-18-2005 at 03:37 PM.

I seem to remember the 1970's Disneyland as being rather ideal. It was their movie division that really stunk at the time.

• Resident Science Nerd

Sure, I have also always assumed that it was a combination of lack of knowlege of Pressler's part and of Eisner's out-of-touch-with-modernity singles and doubles idea. So who knows if Pressler was really the :devil: .
    BTW, Cousin Orville- it seems to me that Citzen Vain is a better fit for your avitar than Citzen Vein, but maybe there's a pun I'm missing?
    Last edited by LeeLi; 04-18-2005 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by mickhyperion
    I seem to remember the 1970's Disneyland as being rather ideal. It was their movie division that really stunk at the time.
    I guess you and I didn't go at the same time. The park I know when the company was bordering on broken up and sold off was a vastly different one than Pressler. I'd say a healthy percentage of light bulbs on Main Street would NEVER work. Rides would often be closed or going on the fritz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast