Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Review from members against the POTC refresh?

Hi, I am interested in reading a Pirates review from someone who was initially against the idea of the "Refresh".

What do you think now after seeing it? Were you right about the upgrade tainting Walt's original vision of the ride? or have you had a change of heart?

Re: Review from members against the POTC refresh?

I guess none of the anti refresh people have checked it out yet. Perhaps tonight we will hear from some of them.

• Minion

I loved it. I posted my review on here, it was great

and you were originally very against the idea?

Here's what I posted in another thread. I was initially against it.. but now I can live with it. If they'd make ONE change to it, I'd actually be even more happy (bring back Yo Ho Yo Ho sooner in the ride):

I rode it twice today, and the effect (Davy Jones) is great. If you could get your entire boat to act like they're getting wet, the people behind you would definitely think you're actually going under a waterfall.

I like the music in the grotto.. It sounds like it's just a change on the Yo Ho Yo Ho theme.

The only changes I cannot really stomach (I love the refurb besides them) are that they do not begin the Yo Ho Yo Ho song until the 3 singing-pirates-with-the-donkey. It seems too abrupt and doesn't flow well. I also don't like the missing track after "dead men tell no tales" (no fear of evil curses). And, of course, I don't like the captain of the ship being replaced. "Cockroaches" isnt as good as "****-er-oachers".

Over all, it's positive for me. Sparrow didn't ruin things at all.. it was mainly other changes I dislike. Plus the audioanimatronics are great.

• Banned User

The thing i was mad about was they took out the drunk pirate on the bridge, what is replaced there now?

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz
    The thing i was mad about was they took out the drunk pirate on the bridge, what is replaced there now?
    He's there.. in all his dirty-foot glory.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace
    and you were originally very against the idea?
    Oh no way, i love the movie and i trusted WED

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    He's there.. in all his dirty-foot glory.

He was taken out when i rode the old ride for my last time..Did they fix him up or what?

He was taken out when i rode the old ride for my last time..Did they fix him up or what?
    He looks the same as I remember him. I remember being sad when I rode under that bridge in Feb/Mar thinking they took him out permanently (or were re-using him for Jack or something.) Fortunately, he's the same. Though his foot isn't AS dirty (but still somewhat dirty)

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin
    Here's what I posted in another thread. I was initially against it.. but now I can live with it. If they'd make ONE change to it, I'd actually be even more happy (bring back Yo Ho Yo Ho sooner in the ride):
    Gremlin,
    Thanks for the information.
    What do you think of the Que music?

I am a bit sad to hear that the "evil curses" line has been axed from the transition tunnel.
    It is also going to be hard to not hear/see the original pirate ship captain dialogue, that was my favorite character from the attraction.

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

the drunk pirate is still on the bridge (just before the dungeon scene). He's been updated to hold a flaming jub of rum and he has a flaming cup of rum next to him.
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

Gremlin,
    Thanks for the information.
    What do you think of the Que music?

I am a bit sad to hear that the "evil curses" line has been axed from the transition tunnel.
    It is also going to be hard to not hear/see the original pirate ship captain dialogue, that was my favorite character from the attraction.
    The queue music is just the old queue song, except louder. You know the rendition of "yo ho yo ho" that you hear when climbing the lift at the end, and before you get to the dock? It's the same song. Maybe the new speakers just let us hear it better now, but it fits well, of course.

Ooh, and the new Island in the queue looks very nice. Much more like an Island. I don't miss the fiber-optic sign too much. The Bayou seems much darker. And the first time I rode the ride, there was a DIFFERENT song that the banjo was playing. The second time I rode it, it was playing the original song. I'm wondering if it alternates.

The Que music I remember is like a sort of loungy version of the yo ho song, instrumental only, with a flute for the main inst. If I am remembering correctly.

The Que music I remember is like a sort of loungy version of the yo ho song, instrumental only, with a flute for the main inst. If I am remembering correctly.
    That's it. I don't know if it's a flute, but some wind instrument. The new music in the grotto fits, in my opinion. I initially thought that having music in the Battle scene between the fort & ship would be distracting, but it actually creates tension in the room. (The room is too misty now, though. It needed more mist, but now you can't see any of the other pirates except for the Captain. I could barely make out the outline of the ones who shoot the cannons.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast