Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Sad The End of Wonderland CD's?

MousePlanet today (6/26/06) carries the tragic news that Wonderland CD's are being discontinued.*

http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=dl060626xx

>>Cast members tell us that the "Wonderland Music Experience," formerly known as the "CD on Demand" system, will be discontinued at Disneyland sometime in September, probably when the 50th Anniversary celebration comes to an official end. The system allows customers at 20th Century Music Company to choose from a catalogue of nearly 60 out-of-print Walt Disney Records titles, and have them burned to a CD while they wait. New titles were last added to the system in December, 2005, and an unofficial Disney music discussion board, MagicMusic.net, has a multi-page list of titles that members would like to see made available in the future.

Unfortunately, it looks like that music collectors may have to wait for another incarnation of music-on-demand to hear more from Disney's record archives. Cast members were told to suspend sales of the CDs last week, in part because they were running low of the raw materials (blank CDs and empty jewel cases) needed to produce them, while the fate of the system was discussed. Then CMs learned that the system would remain in place through September, and a new shipment of materials arrived over the weekend.

The "Wonderland Music Experience" is also offered at Walt Disney World, and we have not yet heard if the Florida version will also be removed. Disneyland CMs tell us that it is possible that the most popular titles from the program will be offered in the future as regular packaged CDs, and that the entire catalogue might wind up offered for download through the Disney Music store at iTunes.<<
    ---
    So if you want any of those great old Disneyland/Vista titles on CD - either get to the park this summer - or order them from Mouseshoppe while you can. Camarata's Alice in Wonderland is a must! Also recommended: Parent Trap, Hawaiiannette, Babes in Toyland, Mary Martin Hi Ho, Summer Magic, Ludwig VonDrake, etc., etc.

See the whole list here:
    http://www.mouseshoppe.com/directory.cfm?CategoryID=258
    --

These CD's a practically the ONLY thing I ever buy at the park - - and there were so many great titles still to be posted to this system. I'm just glad we got the ones we did, and thanks to Randy Thornton for that.

I only wish there were some way this huge global coproration could make all of Walt's cool music, film and TV library material available to those who want it. It's such a waste.

Re: The End of Wonderland CD's?

I have a feeling that this material is going to iTunes. There is no reason for this music to be unavailable to the public, anymore.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Wow...now call me crazy but which CDs are these? These are not the Disneyland Forever CDs are they? Because those have been gone for a while from WDW.

• I Hug My Tapirs

Gah... I heard the CMs in 20th Century talking about this this morning and hoped it wasn't true. *sigh*
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    I have a feeling that this material is going to iTunes. There is no reason for this music to be unavailable to the public, anymore.
    I hope you're right!

• Banned User

Sad Re: The End of Wonderland CD's?

What a bummer! That was my main stop to pick up CDs of titles I presently have on vinyl. I buy the CDs to preserve the LPs and keep them from wear and tear! This is sad indeed. But, fortunately, there is always the option to convert LPs into CDs. Still, I loved the fact that you can buy these CDs with their original covers and labels. It's too bad they don't provide books for these! Disney should really reconsider discontinuing this and realize that there are fans who love this music.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

I guess I know where I'll be spending a bunch of money soon. I definitely want them with the covers.
    Mike

• Best Buds

I was planning to get some of the CDs on my trip to Disneyland in August. That idea has now moved up quite a few notches on the priority list.

Time to revise the touring plan...again!
    ------------------
    DLR '84, 85, 96, 02, 05, 06x2, 07x2, 08x2, 09, 10, 11; WDW '92, 98, 00, 06, 08, 10; DLP '02; TDR '07

Hey, check out my podcast!
    http://www.comedy4cast.com

• Having a Grand Day!

That is a stupid desicion on their Part if it is true -

A. Some of us, even the tech savy like me, still like to have CDs with cases for show, as well as having a hard copy of the files and not being locked into music formats.

B. It doesn't work for those with Apple vendetta's (Even though I'm about a inch away from dropping that as I want a MacBook Pro, but It's still on ATM).

I'm regretting not getting the Disney Afternoon Songbook while I still could.

• Minion

Randy Thornton, master of the Disneyland/Vista library, posted the following bad news/GOOD NEWS on magicmusic.com:

>>Hiya, Y'all!

It is true that The Wonderland Music System will be closing within the next few months. But that does not, in any way, mean that we have stopped the reissue of our old albums. Quite the contrary!!! We are continuing the digital migration and restoration of these ‘old friends’ even as I write this. Soon, we will be able to offer you loyal folks these and many, many more titles in a way that everyone everywhere will have easy access to them.

November 2006 (and the weeks pervious) will be quite significant. I’ll be posting updates as the time draws near.

Randy Thornton<<

http://www.magicmusic.net/discuss/in...;threadid=2883

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Randy Thornton, master of the Disneyland/Vista library, posted the following bad news/GOOD NEWS on magicmusic.com:

>>Hiya, Y'all!

It is true that The Wonderland Music System will be closing within the next few months. But that does not, in any way, mean that we have stopped the reissue of our old albums. Quite the contrary!!! We are continuing the digital migration and restoration of these ‘old friends’ even as I write this. Soon, we will be able to offer you loyal folks these and many, many more titles in a way that everyone everywhere will have easy access to them.

November 2006 (and the weeks pervious) will be quite significant. I’ll be posting updates as the time draws near.

Randy Thornton<<

That's some good nice at least! I have always respected Randy Thorton and appreciated his on the Walt Disney Records releases. He has done a supercalifragilisticexpialidociously great job on many CDs and the Musical History of Disneyland! Kudos to him always!

• Clear for Dispatch

Camarata's Alice in Wonderland

Has anyone heard this CD? Is it all instrumental or any anyway different to the Alice in Wonderland Soundtrack?

• Minion

>>Camarata's Alice in Wonderland

Has anyone heard this CD? Is it all instrumental or any anyway different to the Alice in Wonderland Soundtrack?<<

It is possibly my favorite of all original Disneyland/Vista recordings. In 1958 Tutti Camarata arranged and conducted a fully orchestrated "concept album" of the score from Alice in Wonderland with powerful vocals by Mouseketeer Darlene Gillespie as Alice - and a full chorus for other songs.

These are different arrangements from the soundtrack, but very much in the right spirit. And the songs are fully developed here where sometimes they are fragmentary in the film. Chances are you have heard a couple of these tracks (the orchestral version of the title tune) while waiting in line for the Alice ride.

Darlene's emotional rendition of Very Good Advice is well worth the price of the CD alone.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    >>Hiya, Y'all!

Randy Thornton<<

... sounds like iTunes to me.

People should be happy because, via the Internet, the entirety of these libraries and catalogs can now be made available to the public, again. Randy Thornton will probably be very busy in the coming years.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Where is this thing offered at in Disneyland? I have not been there in years and plan on returning in August.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast