Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Re: The Effect of a Potential Magic Mountain Dismantling

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian
    CLEAN the place. See that rotting wood and unpainted stuff? FIX IT. See the Ninja, rusty brown, not RED? PAINT it. Get those idiots out of there, and prosecute them. Jump in line? Out of the park. I say close the park, and FIX it. Grand re-open it. The place can and should be run like Cedar Point.
    I agree with this statement. But two things that you can't change about MM is the HEAT in the summertime and the topography. It is mega-hot in the San Fernando mountains during the summer, and it would require a tremendous effort to install enough misters to make that place palatable for alot of people.
    Regarding the topography... there are too many hills to climb in MM. When you are hot and faced with climbing another hill to get to the next attraction, MM starts to lose it's shine real fast.

As far as making DCA into a destination for the displaced MM fans, I don't see it happening. There isn't enough acreage to install the coasters that attract the clientele that enjoys a mega-coaster park.
    Thank God.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Stop global whining!!!!!!

I don't thank that they would take down the park, there is too much land around the park, and it would cost so much money to take down the coasters, rides and have them moved or sold. Then level the place and start from scratch. The new owner should build a entertainment area at the entrance to the park like city walk or downtown Disney and build parking structures. Make it profitable. SFMM is part of So CA History, it the one place for real coasters. Disney could have there 3rd and 4th Park.

Visit me at: Gabriel Felton

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    But two things that you can't change about MM is the HEAT in the summertime and the topography.

I'm not buying the heat thing. There is almost no place in the US that has hotter, more miserable summers than Orlando and it does ok with theme parks. Universal is built on the side of a mountain, no problem there.

Bad management turned MM from a fun, regional park into the sewer that it is and good management can fix it.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian
    CLEAN the place. See that rotting wood and unpainted stuff? FIX IT. See the Ninja, rusty brown, not RED? PAINT it. Get those idiots out of there, and prosecute them. Jump in line? Out of the park. I say close the park, and FIX it. Grand re-open it. The place can and should be run like Cedar Point.
    I totally agree with this. I would add the following. See that 2nd and 3rd train sitting in the station? RUN THEM! Need to hire new people to run them? Increase the wage to a point where people would want to work there and HIRE THEM!

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Well, again, the good thing is that this eventuality may present a great opportunity for Disney to expand in California with new attractions and additional capacity.

I know I would take a Disney experience anyday over whatever a Six Flags park could offer.

D.C.A., especially, needs more money invested into it. So, the decreased competition would help justify this greater reinvestment.

Since Cedar Fair made its acquisition, Knott's Berry Farm is no longer interesting. Legoland seems overpriced and appealing to children only. Sea World has always been rather lackluster and gimmicky, and the housing of large whales in captivity was and still is unethical. That leaves Universal Studios, which has always seemed touristy and unappealing to southern California residents.

Disneyland and D.C.A. are in a pretty good position to capture local dollars that might otherwise go to the inferior attractions in the area.

Among amusement parks, I only visit Disneyland and D.C.A., myself. I had free tickets to Knott's a few months ago, and I was still disappointed in the place. The last time I was at Magic Mountain several years ago, I swore I would never go back because so many attractions were closed and the lines were so long. Nothing about Sea World inspires me to visit it on any regular basis. Legoland doesn't do a thing for me. And, the best parts of Universal Studios are the City Walk trappings that don't require an admission fee.

If Disney moves a little more aggressively, it could capture a much larger share of the market than the company does currently. These other attractions are weak, and several of them are priced too high for what they offer.
    Why would we want the Six Flags market?
    I like Disney how it is. Sure it has some crime, but nothing like SF.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• FastPass n00b

Magic Mountain has been pushing rollercoasters nonstop for decades and it took them THIS long to finally realize rollercoasters do not attract families.

And does anyone else wonder why we need 25,000 new homes in one city at one time? I mean, all over California there are hundreds of thousands of new homes everywhere, they are building them like there's literally no tomorrow in every city in Southern California. Was there some kind of population explosion that doubled the population from 5 years ago? I remember when they just used to build houses, now they build entire communities every few months.

• ROFLCOPTER!

Quote Originally Posted by SoCAFalcon
    ...The new owner should build a entertainment area at the entrance to the park like city walk or downtown Disney and build parking structures..
    Actually, several weeks before this announcement was made on the news a rumor was flying around that this idea was in the works. For those of you who have been there recently, you may have noticed that there's a huge dirt mound before the parking entrance. Someone told me that area was already sold and was supposedly going to be used for such a project. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but that's the rumor floating around.

The news did not help us at all. Do you have any idea how many people are calling and asking if they should bother coming since we're closing? There's quite a few and my guess is some people just assume we're already closed and don't bother calling. The park is STILL OPEN. If it's not, then I've been having bad hallucinations.

As for the whole 'let's sell and build houses!' thing, we don't need more houses here. The schools are overcrowded and they're already building more homes anyway. On top of that, a lot of people get jobs there. No more Magic Mountain = no more Magic Mountain jobs. It also means a lack of business for our travel industry here. All the businesses over there that cater to traverllers would not be happy if Magic Mountain poofed. My dad suggested building a convention center and I think that's a good idea. Right now conventions here are usually at the Hilton, but we could use a full sized one. It would be awesome. I would also like it if Busch Gardens bought it. I think they could turn it around.

Oh, and one more random thing: Just a few days after this announcement we all started getting letters from Shapiro telling us how great everyone in six flags was and to proudly wear the free enclosed pin and keychain. I don't know why, but I found that very funny. I put my keychain right next to my Mickey Mouse keychain.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Don't feel like reading every post here, as there's a lot and I'm joining late in the game, but I've talked about this with a few friends.

My theory? If Disney could buy the property, they could finally have a location for their own water park, and it would be far enough away from the ones close by Disneyland so there wouldn't be any competition really (plus it's really hot out there).

Here's hoping (so long as they don't forget to upkeep the other parks).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345