Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

The Effect of a Potential Magic Mountain Dismantling

Would anyone care to speculate on the bearing this potential event may have on Disneyland?

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: The Effect of a Potential Magic Mountain Dismantling

Possibly more teens, but given the target market, Knott's has a higher chance of being affected.

But I really don't think they'd close MM.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Well I figure the "rowdy teenage scene" will invade Knotts before it hits Disneyland. If anything...it might get more crowded. I just hope the bad rep Six Flags MM got won't come down to Anaheim or Buena Park.

This could be a prime opportunity for D.C.A. to take-up the slack in the marketplace if the new park proceeds wisely.

• Earth Intruder

I'm confused.... is this a "what would happen if..." thread, or are there actual rumors of a SFMM dismantling?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

The last time I went to MM, it closed early due to gang violence. I would be crushed if that element took over Disneyland ... but I don't see it happening. Knotts has more thrill rides and is a lot less expensive (I think).
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

Six Flags is billions of dollars in debt, and the company has publicly stated that Magic Mountain is on the list of assets of which the enterprise may want to divest itself. Due to the housing shortage in southern California and the value of the property, there is speculation that the park would just be demolished.

• Senior Minion

Great America in Santa Clara was once run by the county or city for a while I believe before Paramount took over.(Now sold to Cedar Fair recently) So could it be feasible for Valencia? Or the county to run it until a new buyer could take over? Then again after all the debt it has who would?
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I think Disney should let Knott's have them. Coasters is what Cedar Fair seems to be known for. We don't need people flocking any of the Disneyland Resort just looking for more coasters.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon
    Great America in Santa Clara was once run by the county or city for a while I believe before Paramount took over.(Now sold to Cedar Fair recently) So could it be feasible for Valencia? Or the county to run it until a new buyer could take over? Then again after all the debt it has who would?
    The question, though, is that, if Six Flags does not find the park profitable enough, would another operator think it could do a better job?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    I think Disney should let Knott's have them. Coasters is what Cedar Fair seems to be known for. We don't need people flocking any of the Disneyland Resort just looking for more coasters.
    I agree about the coasters and cheap thrills. But, there is a potential for Disney to persuade the local people who would have otherwise spent money at Magic Mountain to spend money at Disneyland, instead. This event might prove to be a godsend in that it could allow Disney to justfy an increased level of expansion in California. D.C.A., especially, needs greater reinvestment.

There is no reason roller coasters have to be the way Disney expands, though. Indiana Jones Adventure, for example, draws the same guests to The Magic Kingdom who might otherwise just be looking for a cheap thrill.

Exclamation Re: The Effect of a Potential Magic Mountain Dismantling

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    I'm confused.... is this a "what would happen if..." thread, or are there actual rumors of a SFMM dismantling?
    Yes, there are rumors of SFMM being closed-

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...cal&id=4299226
    Six Flags Inc. said it is considering selling six amusement parks including Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor, which could be turned into real estate developments.
    -Wes

Pragmatic:
    Magic Mountain is one of SixFlags most profitable parks. Unfortunatly as stated Six Flags corp. as a whole is doing very poorly after years of neglect.
    Considering Valencia land sells for 1million a acre and MagicMountain is sitting on 650 acres, I find it very hard to believe that any theme park company could possibly bid against a land developer.
    I hope I am wrong because I think it would be a very sad day to have one of the world biggest roller coaster parks shut down. Since Magic Mountain is located in one of the worlds largest metropolitan areas I would hope that someone could come along and transform Magic Mountain into a great park that could make lots more money if correctly operated.

What would the effect of losing magic mountain have on Disneyland? I would say we would see more days of Disneyland being closed due to capacity.
    With thousands of tourists not able to go to Magic mountain I imagine we would see higher attendance figures with DL reaching capacity faster on weekends at DL. Probably not bad for DL management but certainly not good for the Ques and AP programs

I hope MagicMountain stays, regardless of our opinions on the matter they do have some great roller coasters! (X, Tatsu, Goliath, Batman, Riddlers, Scream all world class coasters no doubt)
    Last edited by CAspace; 06-26-2006 at 11:33 AM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace
    Pragmatic:
    Magic Mountain is one of SixFlags most profitable parks.
    Where did this notion come from? Six Flags has said the six parks are problematic, as in not making money. Six Flags Great America in Illinois brings in more people a year, according to Amusement Business.

While the coaster crowd is probably very please with the Indiana Jones Adventure, do they care for the detail? I'm just afraid of more people saying California Screamin' is the way to go and Disney buying into it.

• FastPass n00b

I can really see the value in turning Magic Mountain into homes, it'd be worth hundreds of millions of dollars in real estate terms, but think about that. Magic Mountain is a pioneer in rollercoaster technology. The first looping coaster in the U.S. was built at Magic Mountain. Not to mention the first and only 4th dimension coaster, and the current and past record holders like Goliath, Riddler's Revenage, Superman, and Viper.

It would be a HUGE mistake and a tragedy to rollercoaster fans if this park was turned into condos. Think about how many historical wooden rollercoasters were destroyed during the Great Depression and the fact that it's only been in the past 15 years that rollercoasters have made a comeback (which Magic Mountain itself helped spur). I know being a Disneyland fan doesn't necessarily translate out to being a coaster fan, but this is VERY bad news if it happens.

Knott's Berry Farm, for all intents and purposes, is already dead. Too many of it's classic attractions have been ripped out and too many Magic Mountain attractions have been put in. I'd say go ahead and tear down Knott's and replace that with condos instead of Magic Mountain. It's so depressing driving by Knott's and seeing half the rides from the road. It used to have such imaginative and fun Disneyland-type rides, now all the rides are 200-feet tall and go 80 MPH.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast