Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Shablagoo!

Melonballer's first trip to Disneyland, 1979

Hi all. In case you missed it, here is a link to my thread of pictures from 1974. http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28774

It was my sister's first trip and I was not born yet. My first trip was in August 1979. I was 3 years old and I still have memories of this trip. Luckily for all of you I have pictures as well. I haven't scanned all the good ones yet, but I am going to start the thread anyway. By the way, please do not repost without my permission please. So without further ado I present Fantasyland 1979 via the Skyway.

ok I know that technically I am over Tomorrowland in this shot, but neat pic of the Matterhorn, right.

Now that's Fantasyland. If you look close you can see the Pirate Ship and Skull Rock.

Alice in Wonderland.

Here's A much better picture of the skull and ship.

Fantasyland asfter dark. If you look close you can see the old facades on the attractions and even ticket booths.

Well that's it for now. I have more pictures to upload and will be doing so soon. What's next? Well, its nighttime at Disneyland in the late 70s, what could I possibly show next?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Melonballer's first trip to Disneyland, 1979

Thanks again for the pics! 1979 was a great year at DL - Big Thunder opening, Space Mountain in full swing, all the big bands at Plaza Gardens, and I was in my prime as a very proud CM. And people still flocked to the park even with the "gas shortage", odd-even license plate number gas rationing, and the shock of 1-dollar a gallon for the first time. (And the Angels won their first division title).

Thanks again for the pics and the memories!!! It may have been (gulp) 27 years - but it seems like yesterday to me.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Wow! Those are some pretty dang cool pictures!! Seeing Skull Rock and the pirate ship there in Fantasy Land kinda makes me wish that it was still there. Oh well.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine
    Wow! Those are some pretty dang cool pictures!! Seeing Skull Rock and the pirate ship there in Fantasy Land kinda makes me wish that it was still there. Oh well.
    If you'll permit me another Stone Age flasshback memory...I used to love the Pirate Ship...and on their menu...clam chowder. The same clame chowder I at one time made in New Orleans Main...the same chowder they sold at the Blue Bayou...(The Royal Street Veranda at that time sold mainly fritters, that we also made...great big ones, not the little mini's they serve now.)

Anyway, we'd get a call 2-3 times a day that the Pirate Ship people were coming for so many gallons of chowder...we'd help em scoop it into nice clean plastic buckets and they'd hand-truck it back across the park...again, thanks for allowing me to share a memory.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Neep meep beep

Excellent pictures - thank you!

• Shablagoo!

thanks for sharing the memories Radiobarry. It's nice to get stories to go with the pictures.

• Banned User

You know, looking at it, the Skyway could have been so much more dressed up. It just looks BORING in those pics, but a little designing of the Buckets and the Supports would have gone a loooong way.

• Banned User

Great Pictures by the way!

• Senior Minion

Nice Pics, the Skull rock photo is excellent. Love it.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Shablagoo!

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the pictures. Here's a couple more.

I always loved it when you entered the Matterhorn. I never rode the Matterhorn while the Skyway was going through it.

FOr all those who miss it, here's a picture of that Autopia of the waterways, the Motorboat cruise.

By the way that is my Dad and I in the green boat. I'm driving!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Wonderful photos. This was when Disneyland was still Disneyland... not Pressler(OMG-Am-I-In-Over-My-Head-Without-A-Clue-About-The-Business-I'm-In)Land.

(Ever notice when people post vintage photos of Disneyland and the things they loved and miss the most today... they're almost always photos of Tomorrowland? Mr. Ouimet... what more do you need? Let's get to work!)
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    (Ever notice when people post vintage photos of Disneyland and the things they loved and miss the most today... they're almost always photos of Tomorrowland? Mr. Ouimet... what more do you need? Let's get to work!)
    Yep. LEt's face it, It has probably changed the most for the negative out of everywhere in the park.

• Shablagoo!

Ok everyone, thanks for your patience. I promised pictures of a Disneyland nightime spectacular and here they are. Presenting the Main Street Electrical Parade.

A circus bear. (Edit: actually as Radiobarry pointed out its Winnie the Pooh)

Pink Electrical Elephants on Parade.

Pinocchio! Watch out for Monstro!

A nice shot of the its a small world float.

And finally a 70's institution! The Mickey Mouse Roller Skaters (I don't know if that's what they were actually called, but they are one of the things I vividly remember from the trip.

Ok that's it for now. I do have more pictures and will be posting them as I get time to scan and upload them.
    Last edited by Melonballer; 06-28-2006 at 12:51 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    You know, looking at it, the Skyway could have been so much more dressed up. It just looks BORING in those pics, but a little designing of the Buckets and the Supports would have gone a loooong way.
    Oh they were far from boring!
    Nothing could and still can't compare to crossing into Fantasyland at night, on Skyway! The sights, smells, and sounds of Disneyland just overtook you, and it was a great moment!
    They resembled real lifts that were used in the Alps, so that was the feeling...
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

I believe the "circus bear" in the MSEP was "Winnie The Pooh".

That was when it was the Disneyland Main Street Electrical Parade...
    Gee, did I shout that part?

Performances at 8:50pm leaving It's A Small World, and 11:30pm leaving Town Square...Fantasy In The Sky Fireworks at 9:30pm...

Great memories...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast