• Head Churro Tester

Wifi at DLH......yes.

I did a search but the other threads were locked. I am staying at the DLH. Just to let everyone know, I am getting wifi feed from both the Lost Cove Bar and from the business center from the hotel room (I am located in the Sierra Tower.) Though I am having to open the slider door and sit fairly close to the railing, the wifi is free and doing fairly well. We will be going to the bar all this week to order drinks as sort of a thanks for the feed.

~Dano
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Re: Wifi at DLH......yes.

Cool... good to know!
    --Jonathan

You get excellent wifi coverage at the Candy Cane. In fact, my last stay there, my wifi was finding to networks, one at the cane and the other was titled "Castle". It might have been the Castle Inn across the street or may have even been the disney property right behind us. It was weak, but it was there.

I can add a little more information (based on a stay last month).

Yes, WIFI is available. I was even able to make a connection in our Sierra Tower room.
    Yes, a hard-wire connection is also available in the room.
    NO, VPN tunnelling is apparently NOT allowed,

For those who have a need, VPN tunnelling is a "secured" way to connect to your office (for those corporations requiring extra security during a connection). Unfortunately, the office called me on vacation (several times). Most hotels support this type of connection - the DLH was the first time I had run into any issues, which became a significant headache. VPN connections worked at hotels before the DLH, and again at hotels after. Tried to eliminate other potential issues with DLH "tech support", but we were unsuccessful.

For those of you who don't have a VPN need, ignore the previous paragraph. The internet will work just fine for you.

• Banned User

ok... so is Unsecured Wifi safe?

Like is it ok to check email from there that requires password input?
    Or are they a likely target for hackers?

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by MSEPLightningBug
    ok... so is Unsecured Wifi safe?

Like is it ok to check email from there that requires password input?
    Or are they a likely target for hackers?
    Depends if what you are doing is encrypted or not. If you use a regular WiFi connection that isn't encrypted, anyone who cares to (and wants to make a modest investment in equipment and software) can eavesdrop on the traffic over the air. And even past that, someone could tap into the physical equipment at the WiFi base station and sniff the traffic on the Ethernet connection at that point, or compromise the software on the gateway.

For simple E-mail checking and Web Surfing, this isn't a problem - so what if they see the note you are sending home to Aunt Edith. However, if you're going to log onto a corporate mainframe with high-level passwords and access sensitive information, read or send sensiive E-mails about that corporate merger you are planning, use your password to log on and take care of your online banking, etc. it could be a BIG problem.

And the big problem in Cyber Cafes (where you use their computer) are compromised PC's and hidden keyloggers that store everything you do - and capture the URL's usernames and passwords for later exploitation.

Most websites that are HTTPS encrypted are fine, but remember: When in doubt whether your passwords have been compromised, change your passwords when you get home.

Myself, I just use my Verizon Wireless Broadband EVDO, and it's all encrypted. And you don't have to go hunting for a hotspot.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

VPN is a slightly different subject. While I'm not an 'expert' at either VPN or WIFI, I think I can help with some basics..

If you are accessing secure sites (with the little padlock at the bottom of your server), you still enjoy security.

Open WIFI (wireless without security) is available at hotels, coffee-shops, etc. The ease of connectivity is balanced by easy access. Because there is no security in connecting to these WIFI spots (there was no password or encryption), they're easy to use. However, because there is no security in connecting to these WIFI spots, there is less standing in the way of anyone 'listening' to the data.

For most users, WIFI is wonderful and appropriate. However, users do undertake some risks in connecting. I cannot answer if there is a real 'danger' in using WIFI - I recommend you talk to your IT area to get there view on the risks associated, and whether your connection/data is a concern.

I can tell you that my company is very concerned about data security. VPN is their way of making every external connection safe. WIFI without VPN is perceived by our IT area as "vulnerable", and therefore not allowed. It's can be debated whether this is overreaction, but I generally trust them. They have rightful concerns that, between the wireless access point and my computer, unsecured data may be intercepted by anyone.