Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Disneyland 1st, then food

Re: Is Disneyland Hotel worth it?

Having 4 little ones makes it very convenient to stay on-site. We've enjoyed it and the kids love the themed rooms and pools!! The restaurants are great too!! I would say it was worth it for us!!

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by ghoofie
    I have been a LOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG time visitor of Disneyland. We had NEVER stayed at a Disney hotel until last year (Ssssh,
    don't tell the Candy Cane mgmt I was in town ONCE and didn't stay there,
    I might lose my perks. he he). We would always say, something like, "Next visit we are gonna stay at DLH.". Well, with AP night rates and a bunch of Disney reward dollars we finally did. I have to say, honestly, no it isn't worth the higher cost...at least it wasn't for us. HOWEVER, having said that...I agree with the other post...everyone should do it at least once. In fact, I am currently saving reward dollars to stay at the Grand California sometime.

I certainly don't knock the people who regularly stay at the Disney resort hotels. It just doesn't make much difference for me and my family.

But again.....do it at least once and decide for yourself.
    I love Candy Cane Inn too. Honestly, I would recommend CCI over the DLR hotels (although I have never stayed in any of them.) The Grand Californian rooms look nice, but Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel just look okay. And what do you get for your money? (other than a private entrance to DCA at the Grand Californian...) Also, it seems that the hotels on Harbor are actually closer to DLR. We usually get a rate at CCI between $99 - $130. You get nice rooms, free continental breakfast, and shuttle service even though it's only a 7 min. walk!

If it comes down to more nights in DLR in a cheaper hotel vs. fewer nights in DLR in a DLR hotel.....I would pick more nights in CCI!!!

• Monorail Racer

It's very pricey much of the year, but it's one of those things that is a lot of fun to experience once. I'd probably avoid paying top dollar for peak season rates, but when the rates drop a bit during the slower times of the year, it might be worth doing it if you haven't stayed there before. There is a certain extra magic one gets from staying at a Disney hotel.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    In the Marina days (1960's to 1990's)...yes

In the current period of overly commercial pixie dust and sourcerer hats...no
    I tend to agree with you. The Hotel lost a lot of its magic when they tore down the original section of it. I also agree with another poster above. Stay there at least once. Now if they brought back the Monorail Cafe......it would be a must stay Hotel.

www.magicalhotel.com

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by ld2
    I grew up in Southern California, with Disneyland a short (although 30 minutes seemed like forever back then) drive away so we never had to worry about staying in a hotel when we visited the park. I've lived up in Portland for the last 30 years and our family is heading down right before Christmas. We've made the trip twice before and stayed off-site. Both times the hotels were fine, but we're contemplating staying at the Disneyland Hotel this time around. I thought I'd check with the experts: Is the extra cost worth it? Thanks for any help you can offer.

If you don't plan ahead..AP deals can be hard to find (I found)
    I did stay there once and once at DGC.
    I didn't pay for my Disney hotel (I was given remaining DVC points).
    It def. adds to the magic.
    Do I go often, no, but if it's a special time, I'll save up and go.
    We did DGC for the 50th B-day. Man it was expensive...but so nice to run back to the hotel to change after being soaked by the rapids.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71
    If you don't plan ahead..AP deals can be hard to find (I found)
    I did stay there once and once at DGC.
    I didn't pay for my Disney hotel (I was given remaining DVC points).
    It def. adds to the magic.
    Do I go often, no, but if it's a special time, I'll save up and go.
    We did DGC for the 50th B-day. Man it was expensive...but so nice to run back to the hotel to change after being soaked by the rapids.
    Not to mention having the Monorail option (and your own private line to board) after a long, tiring day of walking all over Disneyland and DCA. We always break up our day by returning to the Disneyland Hotel for an afternoon swim and lunch. The kids just love Croc's and the Neverland Pool.

www.magicalhotel.com

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

We fly down from Vancouver every three years. Each time I say to my wife, check into the promotions, if they offset the cost of getting no promotions at an offsite hotel, then we will stay at Disneyland Hotel... Each year it does not even come close to staying at the Fairfield across the street. From our room we see Space Mounatian and the Fireworks.... what else do we need.... oh yes, about a savings of 2 thousand dollars. (8 night stay)

And most hotels off site have deals with local resturants anyways.. for example, Fairfield gives 99 cent meals to kids. We ate there a few times and enjoyed it.

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    We fly down from Vancouver every three years. Each time I say to my wife, check into the promotions, if they offset the cost of hetting no promotions at an offsite hotel, then we will stay at Disneyland Hotel... Each year it does not even come close to staying at the Fairfield across the street. From our room we see Space Mounatian and the Fireworks.... what else do we need.... oh yes, about a savings of 2 thousand dollars. (8 night stay)

that's where I stay
    However, this trip it's going to be $154 a night
    ouch!

My flight gets in Friday night at 10:35PM (6/30/06)
    Hope to be at the hotel by 11PM and the gates of DL by 11:15 PM

Anyone know how late they let you inside?
    They said they close them right at Midnight.
    Anyone know? Never flew in so late. YOu know...work gets in the way.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• FastPass n00b

Elaborating on the "Marina days", back when it opened and all the way up to the 1990's, the Hotel had a distinct "worlds apart" feel while still maintaining the quintessential Disney feel. It had a huge marina with rentable paddle boats, lots of unique Disney shops and restaurants, the Fantasy Waters fountain show, and generally felt like a beach-side resort in itself. In fact, you really could've spent half a day just walking around the shops and marina and checking out the fountain show.

Today, they've ripped out most of the unique stuff and replaced it with the typical cliqued Disney stuff for kids. It feels more like a walk through a Disney store more than a unique and fascinating hotel. Some of the elements still remain, like the waterfall walkway and the Fantasy Waters planter, but most of it has made way for Downtown Disney. I can't say about the quality of the rooms, I haven't been a guest there since 1993 but it's definitely worth it just for once in your life.

• Having a Grand Day!

The Grand Californian is worth it for me, but I make a point of spending a lot of time soaking up the atmosphere at the Grand Californian - it is such a beautiful hotel with wonderful resturaunts, rooms and staff.

Unless they bring the PP Hotel or the Disneyland Hotel up to a standard that at least mirrors the renovated Contemporary at WDW, they really aren't worth the money when you can save up and spend it at the Grand Californian.

I prefer to save up and do things right, rather than stay at a cheap hotels just to squeze extra days in.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    Elaborating on the "Marina days", back when it opened and all the way up to the 1990's, the Hotel had a distinct "worlds apart" feel while still maintaining the quintessential Disney feel. It had a huge marina with rentable paddle boats, lots of unique Disney shops and restaurants, the Fantasy Waters fountain show, and generally felt like a beach-side resort in itself. In fact, you really could've spent half a day just walking around the shops and marina and checking out the fountain show.

Today, they've ripped out most of the unique stuff and replaced it with the typical cliqued Disney stuff for kids. It feels more like a walk through a Disney store more than a unique and fascinating hotel. Some of the elements still remain, like the waterfall walkway and the Fantasy Waters planter, but most of it has made way for Downtown Disney. I can't say about the quality of the rooms, I haven't been a guest there since 1993 but it's definitely worth it just for once in your life.
    I totally agree with you. I remember days where we would spend hours just wandering through the Disneyland Hotel and all of its amenities. They had unique shops, various restaurants, beautiful gtounds, activities, the Olympic Pool.....plus I loved the accomodationts at the old two story Garden Villa's. My wife and I stayed in the Garden Rooms the very last night they were opened to the public. I couldn't stay and watch them demolish them though. They could have left up one building for historical purposes. It wouldn't have hurt anything. I truly miss the pre-2000 Disneyland Hotel.

www.magicalhotel.com

• A Pirate's life for me!

Yeah, we enjoyed the Bungalow's as well. We always requested the ground floor units, so the kids could play in their large patios. The CM's would laugh and ask us why we wanted to stay in those, since they were mainly used for overflow (or requests). We'd just smile and thank them for assigning us the room.

We miss them...

• Iron-Clad Allie

The pool areas and restaurants at each of the Disney hotels are what makes it worththwhile to stay on the grounds to me.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Senior Minion

PirateMickey, you have experienced a lifetime of those greater days of the Disneyland hotel.
    We stayed there for Our anniversary, because we had never been there and always wanted too. I saw the rooms in the Grand Californian, and they seemed small compared to the Disneyland Hotel rooms. Either that or the Hotel Desk staff showed us at the GCH a smaller room. The ambiance is the best at the GCH, and that's what you get and the restaurants.

Disneyland Hotel was nice, we had a room on the 11th Floor of DTD. It was nice to open the slider window and catch the Fireworks, cooler breezes at night. I took a my own tour of the Hotel, and could believe how much of the hotel had been taken out. I would have liked to have experienced the older DLH.
    The photos in the lobbies next to the gift store really take you back.

Granville's was nice, so was Goofy's Kitchen. I liked the idea that we had access to returning our packages and gifts back to the Hotel from the park. It really is a nice feature for staying at the hotel then having to return to the hotel or buying a locker big enough.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey
    Yeah, we enjoyed the Bungalow's as well. We always requested the ground floor units, so the kids could play in their large patios. The CM's would laugh and ask us why we wanted to stay in those, since they were mainly used for overflow (or requests). We'd just smile and thank them for assigning us the room.

We miss them...
    It was really sad seeing the Oriental Garden rooms roped off for demolition. Those rooms dated back to the very first day of the Hotel's opening. They were knocked down so fast, it would have made your head spin. Towards the end, the Garden Villas were all practically suites with two rooms and two bathrooms. They were the cheapest rooms plus they were very spacious. The shops and the Plaza were so fun to stroll through. I spent many nights in the Hotel bar (even though I am a non-drinker) listening to the band Reflection and enjoying a summer's evening in Southern California. It just didn't get any better.

www.magicalhotel.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast