Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• A Pirate's life for me!

Re: Is Disneyland Hotel worth it?

Yeah, a sad time indeed.

When we checked in (the last time for the Bungalow's) the CM told us that they were scheduled for demo very soon, and that we should enjoy our last stay in them.

While checking in for our next trip, we saw the trucks backed up to the Bungalow's emptying out the rooms of the beds and furniture. I wanted so bad to walk over and get a momento for myself, but didn't.

The next trip after that, they were in the process of demo'ing the buildings. They were about half-way finished. It was a very sad day for us. We had a lot of fond memories in those Bungalow's. I'm just glad that we have plenty of pics to help us hold on to those memories.

Progress...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer
    I am in the camp of not worth it, unless you can find a really good rate, such as the AP rates that run under $100 a night.

3 star hotels can be gotten for between $50 to $100 on Hotwire and Priceline. Much nicer rooms, though having a car is usually a good idea when you bid on these type of rooms.

If you don't want to worry about a car, the hotel on Harbor Blvd can be gotton for $100 or less, a lot of folks love HoJo's and Candy Cane Inn, and the walk is about the same as if you stayed at the Disneyland or Paradise Pier Hotels.

What do I want in a hotel room, decent sized, access to high speed internet, nice grounds, and a hot shower. Nothing fancy, I would rather spend the extra money on a nice meal than on a hotel room.

So I would stay off-property.
    I totally agree with you. For the price of a standard Disneyland Hotel room, you could stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Garden Grove and get a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchenette, living room and two bathrooms for less than the Disneyland Hotel.

Living in OC, a room was almost never an option. But living where I do, it is a necessity if we stay late. The Grand Californian is wonderful (but expensive) while the Disneyland Hotel rooms are...just rooms. Nice, but hardly worth the price unless you have very little ones (or else need to refresh or rest in the middle of the day.) We've stayed before, but just can't justify NOT staying off property.
    We now stay at the "homewood suites" on the corner of Harbor/Chapman. Cheap-the rooms are just over $120.00 per night, each paid night is a free night through "hilton honors" and breakfast and dinner is included Monday through Friday. All rooms have a kitchenette to, so we can save all our money to give to the MOUSE!

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey
    Yeah, a sad time indeed.

When we checked in (the last time for the Bungalow's) the CM told us that they were scheduled for demo very soon, and that we should enjoy our last stay in them.

While checking in for our next trip, we saw the trucks backed up to the Bungalow's emptying out the rooms of the beds and furniture. I wanted so bad to walk over and get a momento for myself, but didn't.

The next trip after that, they were in the process of demo'ing the buildings. They were about half-way finished. It was a very sad day for us. We had a lot of fond memories in those Bungalow's. I'm just glad that we have plenty of pics to help us hold on to those memories.

Progress...
    You didn't by chance get any pictures of them demoing the units did you? Or any pictures of them loading stuff? I know, it would have been a silly picture but I had to ask. BTW-we took just about everything that was not fastened down when we left. I also video taped the grounds all over because I knew it would be the last chance to see it all standing. I have some great shots I did not use of the demolition if you would like to see them. Have you had a chance to check out my book?

www.magicalhotel.com

• Monorail Racer

I'm definitely interested in the book. I'd love to see some of those demo shots, too! I never stayed at DLH back in the day, but it's history is pretty interesting.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

After staying at all three hotels many times with all the different views,concierge etc.,I find myself wanting to stay at the Paradise Pier from now on.Sure I love the Grand,but you can spend all the time you want there no matter what hotel you stay at.Last week we had a 14th floor theme park view at PP and it was by far the best view from ANY room I've stayed at in either of the other two hotels! We spent considerable time at the Grand lobby,lounge,restaurants, etc.,but we slept at PP.Very relaxed ,larger rooms for the most part,and a great concierge lounge.Bottom line,forget your ego and save a couple of hundred a night!

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by oldhotelguy
    You didn't by chance get any pictures of them demoing the units did you? Or any pictures of them loading stuff?

I have some great shots I did not use of the demolition if you would like to see them. Have you had a chance to check out my book?

www.magicalhotel.com

Yes, I do. Plenty actually. As sad as it was, I figured that we might appreciate having them to look at in future years.

The workers must have thought I was nuts taking pictures of them hauling the beds and stuff away.

Unfortunately, they are all packed away in the original folders that pictures come in, in a box somewhere in the house. We must have (literally) a couple hundred photo packages stored away, just waiting to be organized and put into albums.

Your book looks great. I'll have to order one.

BTW-We lived in Fremont for 10 years after we were married. Ardenwood.

In addition to the demo pics, we have a bunch of construction pics of the NeverLand Pool and the Resort, including DCA. After the Bungalow's were removed, we started staying in the main tower of the DL Hotel, hence the (birds eye) photo's of the construction. The DCA pics came from our numerous stays at the PP Hotel, again during construction.

Thanks for the memories!

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

NO, there is no intrest left to the place. except for pool, waterfalls. WoW!

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

We recently stayed at DL hotel for the first time in my life, and it was...alright. I wasn't blown away. It was pretty cool just to be staying there, but it wasn't really amazing or anything. And Anders had to go off on a 30 minute quest to a different hotel tower to locate cold sodas, because our tower had none.

I guess it just depends on what you're looking for in a hotel. If you're a true Disney nerd, like us, then it's all about staying at the DL hotel, and that in itself is worth it. But if you're just kind of so-so on the idea, save your money.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• My prices are INSANE!

How are the rooms at the Grand Californian? I heard they tend to be on the small side, unless you have a suite. Is this truth or fiction?
    Crazy Larry loves ya! ......Hurry up before they lock me up!

Stop by my website
    http://www.ericedunn.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius
    I totally agree with you. For the price of a standard Disneyland Hotel room, you could stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Garden Grove and get a 2 bedroom suite with a kitchenette, living room and two bathrooms for less than the Disneyland Hotel.
    True but, for the price of a nice steak dinner you could by ten meals at McDonalds. It's something you probably won't do every trip (staying at one of the Disney Resort Hotels) but a very fun thing to do at least once in your life. Some people's reasoning is, you can save on the Hotel and have more to spend at one of the Parks. That's not bad reasoning. I agree, Disney needs to do something to increase the desire in people to want to stay at the Disneyland Hotel. There needs to be some new perks or draws. Jack Wrather was wonderful at introducing new concepts or ideas at the Disneyland Hotel. I proposed the idea of an historical display at the Hotel showing its evolution through the years. I even offered my vast collection of materials. I can only tell you that they are thinking about it.

www.magicalhotel.com

We just stayed in the DLH and enjoyed it. We had 8th floor, Sierra Tower with a DD view and it was gorgeous. For the convenience and location, it's worth it. Our first trip we were at the GC and it was wonderful. The rooms were good sized and gorgeous. I would stay in either one again.

The last night of our first trip we had to move to an offproperty site since we extended our stay and had to use the tram. Two kids, two strollers, tired parents and a downpour of rain while waiting 37 minutes for the tram did not make for a good experience. It really made us miss the GC!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123