Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• A New Kind Of Villain

Lunch at Cafe Orleans on 6/25 - REVIEW

Unlike most MC'ers who rushed to POTC after the Sunday meet, I headed off to lunch with a few others at Cafe Orleans. I got there after fightingmy way through Adventureland and the crowd exiting POTC along with aerinpegadrack. The host was accomodating to us as with aerinpegadrack we became 9 rather than the table for 8 we had... once we found the host. This here is where the big problems for this restaurant start.

The menu itself is actually pretty nice. Unlike the Blue Bayou, the soups (Gumbo or French Onion) and salad are considered starters rather than included with the meal, and the portions of these are sizeably larger. However if you do come here for lunch, let me recommend the Garlic Fries. Truly delicious with just the right amount of salt to counterbalance the garlic. And do yourself a favor and get an order just for yourself. Sharing these can be hazardous.

The entrees as well are pretty balanced. They have a few salads, regular or three-cheese Monte Cristo and crepes. Average prices around $13-$15, which is a lot more reasonable than a certain other locations prices. I had the regular Monte Cristo and it was like feeding off the divine ambrosia. The cheese was melted just right unto the meat, and it was in fact only slightly fried, to perfection. The berry puree that accompanies it is almost a requirement, although they might not give you enough to accomodate the size of the sandwich. It really depends on how much you like it. I personally think the puree was a neccessity because it was a nice colder catalyst to bring out the flavor of a warmer sandwich. Some people tried the chocolate crepe for dessert and for the sounds I heard, it was just as good as the rest of the meal.

The ambience is currently a problem. It was very noisy and we found it hard to hold a regular conversation, but I'm willing to overlook that for now given the bleachers still being in place. Maybe next time eating in the indoor portion would be a better choice.

My biggest problem with the restaurant is the service. First of all, we saw our server so rarely that we didn't even know who she was. It took calling her through 2 different servers just to get our drinks! It was yet another good while before we got to finally order our food... and my biggest pet peeve... my drink was empty for a good 20 minutes before I was able to find our server and actually have to ask for a refill. And when we finally got said refill, instead of taking my empty glass and replacing it; she brings out (I kid you not) a pitcher of Mint Julep and just pours it into my glass. Part of why I love the Mint Julep is the presentation. In one smooth gesture, she turned my liquidy Fountain of Youth into Beer at the Local Pizza Joint!!!

IN CONCLUSION: Cafe Orleans might just actually have the best food I've ever tasted anywhere inside DLR, and this includes Downtown Disney. Unfortunately the ambience and the service are just nowhere near even average at this point. Hopefully this will change soon with the removal of the bleachers... and maybe partly staffing issues. Now if only I could get my meal from Cafe Orleans to-go and eat it at the Blue Bayou... THAT my friends, would truly be divine.

The menu for Cafe Orleans

My Fountain of Youth has arrived!

My own personal Monte Cristo

The Three-Cheese Monte Cristo

Crab-Salad Sandwich

Seafood Crepe

Chocolate Crepe Souffle!

Good Food, Good Friends!

UNACCEPTABLE!!!
    Last edited by Sadako; 06-27-2006 at 10:31 AM.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Lunch at Cafe Orleans on 6/25 - REVIEW

Thanks, Sadako for the review - great to see table service RETURNING to the Cafe Orleans - I know, for various other threads that I am one of the few people here that remember it from its earlier heyday.

If the service can get back to levels where it was in its earlier incarnation, they'll have a real hit...having two table service restaurants in NOS was a real hit back in the day.

This menu is more advanced than the old one was...prices aren't too bad by Disney standards...but I will always miss the old Sara Lee-type desserts they once served there...I am one of the few, I guess.

Thanks again for the report, Sadako -

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

Sadako - I realized after the fact why your whole table looked familiar on Saturday. I had seen your pictures on MiceChat! I was eating out on the patio at the same time with one of my friends, in the corner by the gate leading out by Le Bat en Rouge.

We also had a problem with our drinks not being refilled in a timely manner. We also loved the garlic fries and the dessert crepe. Yum! I had the 3 cheese Monte Cristo as my entree.

The biggest issue we had is hopefully one they will fix. We are chalking it up to Opening Day miscommunication.

My friend loves the Monte Cristo sandwich but cannot stand swiss cheese. Swiss cheese is on both of the new Monte Cristo sandwiches at Cafe Orleans. AT BB, they take the swiss cheese out for her and replace it with something else. Our server told us they could not do it at Cafe Orleans. We spoke to a manager, who spoke with the kitchen. The manager said they could not take the swiss out of the 3 cheese one, but they could take it out of the regular one, so that is what she ordered. When the food arrived, her sandwich had the swiss on it, and the guy that delivered the food (not our server or the manager) said that they could not take the cheese out of the sandwich and they practically tried to force it upon her. She asked that it be taken away, since she had already mentioned about 100 times to three different people that she hated swiss cheese. No one came back to ask her if she'd like anything else for about 20 minutes and by that time, she was too angry to want an entree.

With the exception of that, the food was really good. I would go again ... and I would definitely get the garlic fries!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Thanks for the update!! Cant wait to eat there. I have been DYING for a Monte Cristo with garlic fries - YUMMY!!!!!

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Thanks for the review!! I can't wait to go try it out myself. I have been looking forward to CO even more than the BB.

The plating looks 100 times better than what we saw over at BB!! What a difference!
    <o>

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    Thanks, Sadako for the review - great to see table service RETURNING to the Cafe Orleans - I know, for various other threads that I am one of the few people here that remember it from its earlier heyday.

If the service can get back to levels where it was in its earlier incarnation, they'll have a real hit...having two table service restaurants in NOS was a real hit back in the day.

This menu is more advanced than the old one was...prices aren't too bad by Disney standards...but I will always miss the old Sara Lee-type desserts they once served there...I am one of the few, I guess.

Thanks again for the report, Sadako -

--Barry
    The thing is, currently both table service restaurants are the complete opposite. Blue Bayou has the ambience and service, while Cafe Orleans has the good food and low prices. On a more casual basis, I can see myself dining at Cafe Orleans about once every week or two because I value food quality and prices for a more casual dining experience; which I can't say the Blue Bayou supplies.

As for the desserts, I'd love to see Sarah Lee-type desserts, as long as they were and looked homemade. My biggest problem with the Key Lime pie in Blue Bayou is that it seriously looked like someone just brought it over from the local supermarket and cut it up. It neither looked fresh nor homemade. I find this unnacceptable for a venue that markets itself as high-class dining.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

That entire menu looks fabulous. That new BB menu just didn't do anything for me. I will have to take my husband. I love crepes, garlic fries, and of course Monte Cristos. In Ireland every restaurant has garlic fries, I'm sure he misses that here. Do you have to have a reservation or do you wait in line or do they do both. I think I read on here you can do reservations but are walk-ins a possibility? The thought of eating there is simply making my mouth water.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sadako

As for the desserts, I'd love to see Sarah Lee-type desserts, as long as they were and looked homemade.
    They did back in the day...and the sundaes and other fountain treats were, in the vernacular, to die for. No one has ever told me why they did away with the original Cafe (which in the beginning was the sponsored Sara Lee Cafe Orleans) in the first place.

I'll stop now. Back to today...

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I ate at the Cafe Orleans yesterday as well. In fact, our party of three was the very first table seated on the first day of the restaurant's operation. I thought that was pretty cool.

Anyway, we had similar problems with the drinks. We waited, and waited, and waited...all the while we watched two servers literally staring into space over in the corner of the restaurant.

Another thing....the monte cristo's are now 14.99 instead of 12.99 as they should be, and they don't come with pasta salad as an option, you only get a measly bit of fruit. (BTW, the Monte Cristo IS still being served at the Blue Bayou...I saw the menu myself....the only difference is that it's now a hefty 18.99).

To top it all off, I always split a Monte Cristo with whoever I'm with because the sandwich is so rich. If you look at the picture of the menu in the first post, and you let your eyes wander to the bottom of the menu, you will see that splitting a plate costs an additional 4 dollars. Only at Disneyland.

Good food, crappy prices and service.

The best thing at Cafe Orleans is the jealous looks you get from random passerby as they take in the sweet aroma of your Monte Cristo.

• Circle of Ancients

I loved the Sara Lee Desserts back in the day!!!

Can't wait to try out the New Cafe Orleans next time we go to the parks (most likely not until the 16th of July).

I'm kind of hoping that if CO does well they will consider the possibilty of bringing back the Tahitian Terrace ... but that would be harder since that kitchen no longer exists.

• Island Paradise

Very detailed, report Sadako. I appreciate your point of view.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

How can they charge more for something the exact same at two different restaurants?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Well, if you got a Monte Cristo at $15, plus fries at $5.00, plus the $4.00 split fee, split in half and minus a 15% PAP discount it comes to $10.20. Add a drink and its $13.00 (tax and tip not included). I don't think its THAT bad a price if you arent terribly hungry, want to try the food and restaurant.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst
    How can they charge more for something the exact same at two different restaurants?
    The BB sandwish comes with soup or salad (I think) and side dishes. The CO one comes with a few grapes.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• Neep meep beep

Great review, as always - thank you Sadako!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast