Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Finding Nemo needs more subs!

Simply reusing the nearly half-century old submarines doesn't seem sufficient to me. WDW had 14 subs on the 20K ride...they should reskin a few of those (if they still exist) and bring them here! A "new" ride with such a low per hour rider capacity is unacceptable!

That said, I can't wait until it opens!

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Finding Nemo needs more subs!

I'm not sure if they can add more subs. I don't think the ride is as long as the WDW version.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Adding more subs would not help. Recalling the days when the subs ran I remember waiting and waiting for our sub to dock(sometimes our wait to dock was longer than the ride it seemed)....adding more subs would just make that wait even longer.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

Was the ride in FL that much longer for it to be able to accommodate 14 subs? I went on it, I don't think it was that much longer, maybe a minute or two.

• Banned User

Well, if they really wanted to do it right they'd get rid of the old subs and use...how about an omnimover sub system? haha

Maybe this new electric drive system will completely automate the docking process and speed things up a little. The problem usually occurs during the boarding and unboarding process. People are slow up the stairs etc. Its not as quick as the jungle cruz but similar.

• Former Epcot CM

All the WDW subs were scrapped except one which was sunk at Castaway Cay for exploration by DCL guests.

Plus, they were themed like Nautilus', and wouldn't match with the bland subs at DL.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Banned User

that's why I said reskin them!

• Neep meep beep

I think the problem with the old attraction, and the same subs they are using for Nemo, is that they hold so few people per sub. This can't really be changed unless they scrap the subs and make double decker, or longer, subs, which they would never do for cost reasons.

This picture shows the wasted space (courtesy of dldhistory.com. Pic dates from 1965):

• Just this guy......

I have said this in past posts, but the real problem is that the loading and unloading times for the subs is awful. And heven help the crew if there is a problem with the front sub which will block the second one.

It's too late to do this, but My suggestion was to make the storage dock, a second loading dock, with a ramp to go up and over the first dock. That way it would be possible to load 4 subs at a time and not just two.

That's my $0.02

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    I think the problem with the old attraction, and the same subs they are using for Nemo, is that they hold so few people per sub. This can't really be changed unless they scrap the subs and make double decker, or longer, subs, which they would never do for cost reasons.
    The double-decker is a good idea, but remember that the guests have to get up and walk around inside the subs. I remember there wasn't a lot of head room to begin with and every inch is needed to manuever in that cramped space.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

As stated, the subs from Magic Kingdom were destroyed or placed at Castaway Cay (I think it was actually two). The subs could not be "reskinned" as they were designed and built from the ground up to look like the Nautilus. The Magic Kingdom subs were also larger than the subs at Disneyland, to the point where I believe they'd be unable to turn.

Disney has slightly addressed the capacity issue. Each sub is being retrofited with new stairs. These stairs apparently take up less room making way for two new seats!

I really like ni_teach's dual loading dock idea. The only problem I could see is ability to run four subs at a time. That is easily overcome by having two load and two unload. I'm very curious to hear WDI's explanation for not doing this.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

They would have to start fresh - the WDW subs have all been scrapped, and I'll bet they were bigger also. As can be judged from that white PVC Pipe frame mockup in all the Lagoon pictures, there's only so much room down there.

The ONLY reason I can see justifying the construction of a brand new sub for the ride now would be to build one with a much better handicapped lift system, and viewing ports that are bigger to accomodate a person in a chair easier. But that would cost a LARGE amount of money, and if the Guest has a medical crisis halfway through the ride...

From what I heard, they're going to build a viewing booth at dockside with a movie of the ride for the people who are totally wheelchair bound. Much better utilization of their resources than spending a lot (guessing $50K to $100K) to safely modify an old sub, or a WHOLE lot ($2Mil plus) to build a new special Sub. That stuff does not come cheap anymore.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• FastPass n00b

There's some kind of switch track being built near the dock right now, there's still a chance it could have dual loading docks. That would definitely help more than more subs because the loading/unloading cycles are what takes the most time. Thankfully you exit at the opposite end you enter...can you guys imagine what it would be like if you had to wait to have everyone exit before you even began going in?

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    Thankfully you exit at the opposite end you enter...can you guys imagine what it would be like if you had to wait to have everyone exit before you even began going in?
    I always remember going out the same way you came in, the front loaded ones side of the sub and the back loaded the other side of the sub. Which is why it takes so long to load/unload the sub. 20 something people up/down one narrow single file stairwell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast