Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Big Thumbs Down to the New Light Fixtures at the Tomorrowland Terrace

Quote Originally Posted by InnerSpace
    Well, why the heck would you look directly into the lights? Sorry to say it, but that's just stupid. I'm sure most of you have flourescent lights in your house (ie, your kitchen), so why is it "thumbs down" when they're at Disneyland?
    Hmm, I am going to guess you haven't actually seen these lights in person. They are about eye-level and hard to avoid looking at. The fixtures themselves are cool and it is great overall to have the construction complete in this area, but I can confidently say these lights are much, much brighter than any other eye-level light source in Disneyland.

No matter what direction you are coming from, as soon as you turn the corner and face that area, you are looking directly at several of these very bright lights. You very clearly feel your dark-adapted, wide-open iris contract; it actually causes a moment of pain in your eyes. You then spend the rest of your time in that area consciously trying to avoid looking into these lights once again.

Not good. The lights are simply too bright for eye-level, non-diffused fixtures.

• Collision speed....FULL!

They are not at eye level.

They are much higher than eye level. At least 6ft. higher than eye level.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by jeremedia
    Hmm, I am going to guess you haven't actually seen these lights in person. They are about eye-level and hard to avoid looking at. The fixtures themselves are cool and it is great overall to have the construction complete in this area, but I can confidently say these lights are much, much brighter than any other eye-level light source in Disneyland.

No matter what direction you are coming from, as soon as you turn the corner and face that area, you are looking directly at several of these very bright lights. You very clearly feel your dark-adapted, wide-open iris contract; it actually causes a moment of pain in your eyes. You then spend the rest of your time in that area consciously trying to avoid looking into these lights once again.

Not good. The lights are simply too bright for eye-level, non-diffused fixtures.

With all the neon, bright lights on Space Mountain, and other lighting in the land, especially in that area, I don't think being "dark adapted" is going to send you into a state of shock when you turn the corner and see the Club Buzz lights. Give me a break. Also, InnerSpace specifically noted that they have migraines triggered by bright lights and that these lights haven't affected them. Clearly, they've seen the lights in person.

Also, the lights are NOT "eye-level" they're tall lightposts. Theyre a little under two-people tall. Take a look:

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• FastPass n00b

I think we know when Disneyland is doing really well when our major gripe is with flourescent lights in Tomorrowland.

But seriously, I don't think it's the brightness that bothers me, I think it's the lack of subtlety and lack of theatrical sense that bugs me. When you look around at Disneyland at night it's *gorgeous*. The attractions are bathed in colorful glows and you never notice any lights, yet the pathways are always lit up. The lighting around the park is so meticulous, it almost looks like one big movie set.

These new lights just seem to use brute force to brighten up the area and don't seem to add to the cinematic nature of Disneyland's lighting. Then again, I've never seen them in person so I'd rather see them in real life rather than make a conclusive judgement about them right now...lighting is usually very misleading in photos at night. Also, if MasterGracey says they look okay in person, I'm gonna have to trust his judgement until I can make my own.

Come on. I am have been there, I have seen the lights, and experienced them first-hand. I am not overly critical. When you first see the lights you are not standing directly beside them and they essentially eye-level from a short distance away.

My first encounter with them was walking around the corner from in-between Matterhorn and the Lagoon, which is very dark. You turn the corner and boom: incredibly bright lights directly in front of you. This is not an opinion: its a direct report of my actual experience.

Athlonacon hits it dead on: these lights a brute force effort to lighten up the area. It is not theatrical or interesting lighting, its very close to Walmart-style flood lighting, except in Walmart the lights are very high and out of normal eyelines. These new lights are very, very bright and directly in the eyeline of people walking into the area from much dimmer locations.

Again, this is not an opinion, it is the report of my actual experience.
    Last edited by jeremedia; 06-28-2006 at 10:33 PM.

• Banned User

Um, ok?

Just appreciate Disney is doing SOMETHING with the horrible, degrading, ugly-looking, sinister, evil, and deathly Tomorrowland at all.

I agree the lights arn't the most pretty and it is a bit plain and on-the-cheap look, but oh well. Any upgrade at this point for this sad "land" makes me happy.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I like them. The past few times I've had to walk in that area have been quite scary-wasn't able to see a thing. And I see no reason why TL shouldn't have bright lights-in fact, when I think about the glory of TL, that's one of the main things that comes up in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Fluorescent lights do not belong anywhere in Disneyland, and these, especially, create such a harsh glare.

Disneyland used to use theatrical indirect lighting everywhere; the light sources were mostly concealed. And, any fixtures casting direct, diffused light were as dim as possible.
    The old Tomorrowland (pre-1998 makeover) used fluorescent lights along the entranceway from the hub.

• Neep meep beep

I was in Tomorrowland tonight, and got a good look at the lighting. I don't feel they are too harsh, although they are brighter than most of the other lighting around.

I do feel that neon, and flourescent lights, do belong in Tomorrowland. Candlelight, gaslamps, and incandescent light, do not.

they look fine to me... maybe if they were like a 8000k bulb like dark blue people would like them more? heh
    "And really bad eggs..."
    "permancer centavos porfavor" (yeah i say it every time i ride it!!!)

• My life is better with DL

Oh goodness, stop with this.

The lights look great. They are bright enough to light the area that needed to be lit, and when you are in club buzz, they are dim enough to not distract from the shows or the lighting in that area. They follow the theming of Tomorrowland by being bright and futuristic-looking, and they serve their purpose.

They are a good addition.

Case closed.

^This is the life!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Anyway, we all have been griping about wanting Disney to bring a big, bright beautiful tomorrow back to Tomorrowland, right?

Well, we've finally got it.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• white and nerdy

Frankly, safety is more important than well placed theatrical lighting. That area looks way more safe than it was before, basically just in darkness.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

In terms of brightness, I suppose they look fine, but I think a color besides just plain white would have been cooler. Oh well.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

the lights are much brighter than what was previously there, but it's Tomorrowland, not Frontierland. I like them personally.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12