Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Big Thumbs Down to the New Light Fixtures at the Tomorrowland Terrace

MasterGracey just posted some really nice pictures in the following thread: 6/26 PHOTO UPDATE: Pirates returns! w/review, Cafe Orleans review, Club Buzz, +MORE!.

I think these new additions to the Tomorrowland landscape deserve their own thread, though.

Fluorescent lights do not belong anywhere in Disneyland, and these, especially, create such a harsh glare.

Disneyland used to use theatrical indirect lighting everywhere; the light sources were mostly concealed. And, any fixtures casting direct, diffused light were as dim as possible.

These new light standards would make people feel as if they are dining in a parking lot.

... not good, Disney.

• The Fantasyland guy

Re: Big Thumbs Down to the New Light Fixtures at the Tomorrowland Terrace

Didn't Igar get a query about the bad lighting at the resort at the last stockholder meeting? Im sure thats why the SUPER BRIGHT lights were installed.

we might even see this showing up all over the parks, and not just in Anahiem.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    Didn't Igar get a query about the bad lighting at the resort at the last stockholder meeting? Im sure thats why the SUPER BRIGHT lights were installed.

we might even see this showing up all over the parks, and not just in Anahiem.
    Yes, there was a stockholder who used the panel discussion at the end of the meeting to deliver that ridiculously inappropriate complaint.

The new lights are FAR too bright... they actually hurt your eyes if you look directly at them. They are really, really strange and unpleasant to encounter after walking around in the near total darkness that is most of the nighttime park. It feels like you are entering a constuction zone, or there is an emergency.

• Minion

Those lights look like they are actually trying to contact outer space!
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• The Fantasyland guy

Quote Originally Posted by travelmom
    Those lights look like they are actually trying to contact outer space!
    wow, maybe thats the look they are going for! how did I miss that!

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Yes, there was a stockholder who used the panel discussion at the end of the meeting to deliver that ridiculously inappropriate complaint.
    I couldn't agree with you more. Althought I believe he was right, this type of complain should be made to city hall and not to the damm CEO. If the board catches wind of this, they would make drastic choices like this one. I do have a bad feeling that these lights were installed because of this one comment from one person.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Haha...damn them for listening to a complaint!!!!!!

Seriously though, do we have any clue as to why these lights were really installed? They are wicked bright...but not overly so. Maybe they are trying to white out Tomorrowland like it was in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Fluorescent lights do not belong anywhere in Disneyland
    It's Tomorrowland... you of all people should appreciate the thematic aspect fluorescent lights provide.

• Neep meep beep

Yes. I think if neon and flourescent lights exist ANYWHERE, it would be tomorrowland. I'd love to see authentic gaslamps in New Orleans Square, just like they had 100 years ago, but Disney's made the decision to go with more modern lighting.

But what's more modern than flourescent in Tomorrowland?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The lights are bright, but as I posted in my Photo Update thread, they aren't distracting. They really do their job of lighting up the area well. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but the only place I want to eat in darkness is the Blue Bayou. Also, it isn't light flourescent lights are out-of-theme. If they were on Main Strret or in Adventureland, I would understand the gripe... But they aren't.

Maybe they are too bright, but they aren't horrible. And keep in mind my pictures were taken with a slow exposure setting, so the lights look even brighter.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Yeah, I think you guys are overreacting. They're just lights for goodness sakes. I suffer from migraine headaches and light sensitivity is a big factor that provokes most of my headaches, and those lights have not bothered me yet. Some of you guys are acting as if these lights will ruin your whole Disneyland trip, and all I can say is, if your trip is ruined by a bunch of lights, that's pretty sad and pathetic.

they actually hurt your eyes if you look directly at them.
    Well, why the heck would you look directly into the lights? Sorry to say it, but that's just stupid. I'm sure most of you have flourescent lights in your house (ie, your kitchen), so why is it "thumbs down" when they're at Disneyland?
    Last edited by InnerSpace; 06-28-2006 at 10:17 PM.

• Monorail Racer

Walt is probably spinning right now thinking about lights in Tomorrowland. Haven't seen 'em in person myself, but I'd prefer some dimmer lighting over some intense bright lights.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Yes, they are bright, but I actually like the *new look* they bring to that area of the land. To me, the lights are quite tomorrowland'ish and they don't look out of place.

I used to wonder why that area was always so dark, but now with the new lighting, it looks great! But I realize most will think it's too bright and they should tone it down.

But two thumbs up for me on the added addition!!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    The lights are bright, but as I posted in my Photo Update thread, they aren't distracting. They really do their job of lighting up the area well. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but the only place I want to eat in darkness is the Blue Bayou. Also, it isn't light flourescent lights are out-of-theme. If they were on Main Strret or in Adventureland, I would understand the gripe... But they aren't.

Maybe they are too bright, but they aren't horrible. And keep in mind my pictures were taken with a slow exposure setting, so the lights look even brighter.
    Okay, I'm sorry this is off-topic, but your comment about eating in darkness at the BB reminded me of last summer--we took my in-laws to Disneyland and my mother-in-law was bound and determined to have a day 'o crap from the get go. So we take them to the Blue Bayou to eat and she starts screeching about not being able to see the menu because it's too dark. Our waiter (bless his heart) whips a little flashlight out of his shirt pocket and hands it to her, shutting her right up. He was great and obviously used to handling difficult people.

Okay, sorry about that--back to the Tomorrowland lights.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto

But what's more modern than flourescent in Tomorrowland?

LED's?

The lights look fine. I would rather sit under them then in the dark.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast