Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Why Isn't the Attraction's Theme Song Used in the Film's Score?

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    We have to keep in mind that what works for a theme park ride, doesn't necessarily work for a film...and visa versa. While it would've been nice to work in the theme somewhere in the original film, the movie really was *based* on the attraction, it was never intended to be a recreation of it. They had to give the movie its own identity, otherwise people would just think of it as a complete rehash of the ride. Even the new Pirates ride is simply based on the movie, it doesn't retell the movie's story at all.

Personally, I think they did an excellent job keeping the film and attraction separate while still paying homage to their counterparts.
    The song is a big part of the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction just as the John Williams' scores are integral to the Star Wars and Indiana Jones films. Had Star Tours or Indiana Jones Adventure not included that music, there would have been just as much criticism.

By the way, I always thought Disney should have paid Harrison Ford's price to include his performance in the Disneyland attraction for the same reasons.

I did like the way that the filmmakers used "Yo Ho" in "The Curse of the Black Pearl", and I am sure that they want to build-up to something bigger in the later films since Capt. Jack Sparrow says something about wanting to teach the song to his entire crew. But, I just feel that, as the sequels advance the saga, the melody, itself, needs to be woven into the score more so that the film remains faithful to the attraction.

Hmm,

Good questions! It so happens my son has worked for the movie's first composer, Klaus Badelt, and presently is working at Remote Control (formerly Media Ventures) which is owned by Hans Zimmer who wrote the music for the second movie. I told him this was the question of the day and asked him if he could find the answer.

He did say the past weeks they were redoing the music for the ride and he heard the "Yo Ho, Yo Ho!" theme over and over again with many different instruments being used (ie, accordian, guitars, etc).

I will dutifully report back when he gets the answer to the above said question.

Cheers

• decorating

Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep
    Well Jack Sparrow did say he was going to teach his crew the Yo Ho Yo Ho song when he was in a drunken state, stuck on the island with Ms. Swann.

You mean his crew doesn't learn the lyrics and sing the Yo Ho Yo Ho tune while setting sails onboard the Black Pearl?
    And Elizabeth sang it in the beginning.
    I think the actual theme does not fit the movies, but the way they tied it in was great. Just a little, to make people go " Hey, there's the song!"

• Minion

To be honest music from the attraction is not a film score. A film score usually is music designed to enhance the film. It is custom made to bring the tempo to drive the film. Now you would call the music from the attraction a song. I understand they built the attraction quite like a movie but there is nothing in the attraction that could really build up to a part in a movie. Maybe the pirate exit theme? That might work. I think they way they used YO HO YO HO suttley was perfect in the first film. WIth sword fighting, running from the black pearl, being chased by the english navy, or even a little love intrest. You need a score that will drive those parts in the movie.
    Jason

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    By the way, I always thought Disney should have paid Harrison Ford's price to include his performance in the Disneyland attraction for the same reasons.
    He wanted $100 million. That's what I heard. In my mind.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Former Epcot CM

A young girl distinctively sings Yo ho Yo ho in a very haunting manner in the opening of the Dead Mans Chest trailer. It gave me chills.

I agree that it should be weaved into the underscore as a nod to fans of the attraction, but not made blatantly obvious - like the little vignettes from the ride that we see in the film, like the dog with the keys. They entertain you whether you have ridden the ride or not, but give that theme park visitor extra enjoyment.

Its not a big deal though. Just a fun idea.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Say no to Assimilation

Wink Re: Why Isn't the Attraction's Theme Song Used in the Film's Score?

It wouldn't work as well in the movie for the reasons mentioned above. Besides, the song tells us what pirates do. In the movie they are actually doing it!

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I think the girl singing at the beginning of the DMC trailer is taken from the first movie, but I have absolutely no evidence to back that up.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate
    I think the girl singing at the beginning of the DMC trailer is taken from the first movie, but I have absolutely no evidence to back that up.
    You are correct. I watched Black Pearl last night and recognised it immediately. It is the young Elizabeth.

That was a cool nod.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Minion

Putting Yo Ho in the score would have been bad taste. Period.

Pirates is my favorite ride, and I enjoy the Pirates Song a lot, but blantantly putting it in the score would have been a stupid mistake IMO.

Subtlety is the key. There were many hints to the ride and they were all subtle. It was cool seeing all the scenes from the ride in the background. That's how it should be... The movie was serious with a side of humor. Not a chunk of cheese..... that was Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion, and that's one of the reasons that movie flopped.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian

Subtlety is the key.
    Very true, but it's not on his keyring. Jerry Bruckheimer and subtlety have never met. He has to be the most cliched, formulaic filmaker that ever was. If it explodes or has heroes singing oldies badly, he did it. I imagine he omitted it in his own arrogance.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    Very true, but it's not on his keyring. Jerry Bruckheimer and subtlety have never met. He has to be the most cliched, formulaic filmaker that ever was. If it explodes or has heroes singing oldies badly, he did it. I imagine he omitted it in his own arrogance.
    Also very true lol. Although I must say, I liked this movie more than any other Jerry Bruckheimer film!

Putting Yo Ho in the score would have been bad taste. Period.

Pirates is my favorite ride, and I enjoy the Pirates Song a lot, but blantantly putting it in the score would have been a stupid mistake IMO.

Subtlety is the key. There were many hints to the ride and they were all subtle. It was cool seeing all the scenes from the ride in the background. That's how it should be... The movie was serious with a side of humor. Not a chunk of cheese..... that was Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion, and that's one of the reasons that movie flopped.
    The melody need not be used superfluously.

The song is used to great effect in "The Curse of the Black Pearl" since "Yo Ho!" both opens and closes the movie and since the song also accentuates Capt. Sparrow's speech about the greater meaning a ship possesses.

The melody might appear, though, in the end credits, for example, or as part of an overture. I also assume that the song will be used in much more elaborate ways in the upcoming films.

Ironically enough, "The Haunted Mansion" film didn't use "Grim Grinning Ghosts" extensively, either. But, that film partly failed for all the ways that it was different from the attraction. "Pirates" succeeds, conversely, because it is faithful to the attraction.

Also very true lol. Although I must say, I liked this movie more than any other Jerry Bruckheimer film!
    The script was top-notch.

• Minion

Not to change the subject but.....

You want to know a attraction that sounds like a score to a movie, listen to the theme from Soaring...that sounds like a movie score.
    Jason

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast