Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• DLR...

Re: Why Isn't the Attraction's Theme Song Used in the Film's Score?

Well, I have an opinion:

It should really sound like this: http://media.putfile.com/pirateswav
    (Don't pay attention to the talking, listen to the score. It's from "Remember, Dreams Come True" at DLR)...
    That sounds like it could fit into the movies somehow...like during a battle scene. I dunno lol

Sorry for the bad quality on that AND: I was just listening to "He's a Pirate" on the COTBP soundtrack and I noticed: If you play the "Yoho Yoho" theme in your head without lyrics and you play it in a low tone and fast, the two sound similar. Just try it O_o lol

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by SorceraM
    Well, I have an opinion:

It should really sound like this: http://media.putfile.com/pirateswav
    (Don't pay attention to the talking, listen to the score. It's from "Remember, Dreams Come True" at DLR)...
    That sounds like it could fit into the movies somehow...like during a battle scene. I dunno lol

Sorry for the bad quality on that AND: I was just listening to "He's a Pirate" on the COTBP soundtrack and I noticed: If you play the "Yoho Yoho" theme in your head without lyrics and you play it in a low tone and fast, the two sound similar. Just try it O_o lol
    Yes! The music used in Remember is very epic! Awesome!
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

To those still interested in this topic, my son checked around at Media Ventures (Hans Zimmer's studio which has now been renamed Remote Control) and asked the folks that worked on both movies why the "Yo Ho" song was not preseneted as a theme during the movie.

The response from everyone he asked was - "That would just be dumb."

He says they get this question all the time, so it is a good inquiry. They collectively never answer the question with a specific reason as to why the "Yo Ho" song was not included as a theme but used only as a prop in the script.

The closest thing to a direct answer was "If we redid Pinocchio, we would not use any of the themes of the original." Why hire a composer to write music? Makes sense to me - how about anyone else?

Well, certainly the song is used prominently to open and close "The Curse of the Black Pearl" and to accentuate Capt. Sparrow's speech, but what composer would not have at least included the melody somewhere else, such as during the end titles?

Composers weave certain pre-existing themes into scores all the time.

The Disneyland attraction uses "Yo Ho!" as both a prop in the script as well as a theme in the musical score. And, the movie's score was actually woven into the attraction with this recent re-imagining.

Now, if the filmmakers were practicing restraint with the intention of presenting grander arrangements of the song in later films, then I would understand.

If the filmmakers were for whatever reason wanting to distance themselves from the Disneyland attraction, then I do not.

Musical scores act as narrators. Using two different voices and two different vernaculars ultimately weakens the endeavor.

You make some good points but evidently Hans Zimmer, Klaus Badelt and their many Ghost Writers disagree with your perspective. I guess that is why they get paid the "big bucks."

Yesterday was my first time on the "reopened" attraction and I was suprised at how much they used the themes from the movies. It does seem to bring us back to the age old "which came first - the chicken or the egg" question. I guess nothing is sacred - not even POTC. The movie now defines the attraction and not vica versa.

Who knows, maybe they will make the "Yo Ho" song one of the themes instead of a "prop in the script" with the third movie - but I really doubt it. According to those who write the music and make the money "that would just be dumb." POTC 2 is the all-time largest opening box-office grossing movie according to CNN. They must be doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by shadylanestudio
    According to those who write the music and make the money "that would just be dumb." POTC 2 is the all-time largest opening box-office grossing movie according to CNN. They must be doing something right.
    One wonders, though, how much of that success is attributable to the Disneyland attraction.

• Say no to Assimilation

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    One wonders, though, how much of that success is attributable to the Disneyland attraction.
    I think it has more to do with the crappy movies that Hollywood has put out the last couple of years. Finally there is something worth paying $10 to see!
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

What amazed me was the transformation of the attraction to the movie. Although it is probabaly one of Disney's most beloved rides, I recall recently just how few people actually went on the ride (even after the first movie came out). They needed to do something to revitalize it - the movie did a fairly good job I'd say. I waited 30 minutes yesterday to get on the bloody thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tbminnie
    I think it has more to do with the crappy movies that Hollywood has put out the last couple of years. Finally there is something worth paying $10 to see!
    This is a very good point!

Well, certainly the song is used prominently to open and close "The Curse of the Black Pearl" and to accentuate Capt. Sparrow's speech, but what composer would not have at least included the melody somewhere else, such as during the end titles?
    Apparently Klaus Badelt, and Hans Zimmer, along with Danny Elfman, Randy Edelman, Jerry Goldsmith and many others. Many of these composers want to make their own mark with their compositions, not simply take an existing song and arrange it to make it the backbone of the whole score. I haven't heard Zimmer's score yet, but I thought Badelt did a fantastic job. Yo Ho belongs to the ride. There were a few references to the ride in the first movie, but overall it stood on its own. So did the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon Cactus
    I haven't heard Zimmer's score yet, but I thought Badelt did a fantastic job. Yo Ho belongs to the ride.
    Klaus Badelt was succesfull before Pirates. Having said that, "Black Pearl" catapulted him to stardom. The man is one of the greatest current film scorers in demand. The music in "The Promise" is just brillant.

One may not like the music in POTC 1, but it is one of the most recognizable scores ever. Rumor has it the music was put together in 3 weeks time. I've heard Zimmer's influence was heavy in the main themes of "Black Pearl." Badelt was at Media Ventures at that time so I'm not surprised.

• Minion

Ironically enough, "The Haunted Mansion" film didn't use "Grim Grinning Ghosts" extensively, either. But, that film partly failed for all the ways that it was different from the attraction. "Pirates" succeeds, conversely, because it is faithful to the attraction.
    What are you talking about? Grim Grinning Ghosts was EVERYWHERE in that movie. The song itself was only sung briefly by the Singing Busts, but otherwise, most of the score is based on the Grim Grinning Ghosts tune. Examples include the begining and end of the opening sequence, the Graveyard, Ramsley's entrance scene, and when they first get to the house. There's really only a handful of different pieces in the score: Grim Grinning Ghosts, that really freaky theme used in the opening and Zombie scene, Elizabeth and Gracey's theme and some other stuff that I can't think of because it was in the earlier parts of the movie I skip over, considering my usual pattern of watching the thing is to watch the opening and then just skip to when the Evers get to the Mansion.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

I haven't seen "The Haunted Mansion" in a long time. I would not mind, though, if Disney eventually makes a new film with a better script and no Eddie Murphy.

Giving the picture a contemporary setting was a terrible mistake.

Just slightly off topic: Did anyone watch the baseball All-Star Game? It was at the Pirates stadium in Pittsburgh. When they announced the National League starting lineup, the background music was from the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie!

• Monorail Racer

Call me crazy, but I really enjoyed the first Pirates movie score. Sure - the attraction theme song is great and I prefer to hear it in the ride, but I really enjoy listening to the soundtrack score.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast