Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Why Isn't the Attraction's Theme Song Used in the Film's Score?

I think very highly of "The Curse of the Black Pearl", and I think that the film expands upon elements introduced in the attraction really well. However, I was somewhat disappointed that the melody of "Yo Ho! Yo Ho!" is not used in the musical underscore, at all.

The score to the new film seems to ignore this famous tune, too. Has anyone else made a similar observation, and does anyone think that the oversight needs to be corrected in the third film, at least, in order to be faithful to the spirit of the source material?

What would "Pirates of the Caribbean" be without its theme song?
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 06-28-2006 at 10:17 AM.

Re: Why Isn't the Attraction's Theme Song Used in the Film's Score?

well its somewhat used in the film. Not how its portrayed in the attraction. But i remember in the special features on the making of the movie the director said although the movie was named Pirates of the Carribean, it was very much different from the attraction. i do love the score in the movie already, its one of my favorites besides The Star Wars saga, but i enjoy the little tidbits of yo ho in there already.
    pshhh i guess

• Rock Star Minion

People who made the movie <> people who made the attraction.

I'm trying hard not to consider this an important crisis.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Treat
    well its somewhat used in the film. Not how its portrayed in the attraction. But i remember in the special features on the making of the movie the director said although the movie was named Pirates of the Carribean, it was very much different from the attraction.

so then why is the attraction trying to become like the movie?
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Closed Account

Well Jack Sparrow did say he was going to teach his crew the Yo Ho Yo Ho song when he was in a drunken state, stuck on the island with Ms. Swann.

You mean his crew doesn't learn the lyrics and sing the Yo Ho Yo Ho tune while setting sails onboard the Black Pearl?

I'm thinking that the film composers should begin to weave the "Yo Ho! Yo Ho!" theme into the underscore, itself.

• Closed Account

Angry Re: Why Isn't the Attraction's Theme Song Used in the Film's Score?

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    People who made the movie <> people who made the attraction.

I'm trying hard not to consider this an important crisis.
    Well how true that is considering Jerry Buttheimer wouldn't let WDI use the likeness of the Black Pearl or the Flying Dutchman in the POTC ride!

What a butthead!

• Monorail Racer

Both things are pretty silly. It would be nice if they weaved it into the movie more, but it doesn't really harm the movie at all for me. Likewise, if they REALLY had to have a clone of the Dutchman (doubt many guests outside of us hardcore types would even know it was), it shouldn't have been such a big to-do. It's not like Bruckheimer's holding on to the rights so he can have Paramount build a Pirates attraction at their parks (back before Paramount sold to Cedar Fair).
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71
    so then why is the attraction trying to become like the movie?
    Well that would be Disney doing their best to create a tie-in which historically is how Disney works - when it can. As everyone knows many of the original DL rides were based on movies. And many recent rides as well (e.g., Monsters Inc). Then someone came up with the idea to make movies based on rides (Black Pearl, HM, and I think there was a Country Bears movie - never saw that one - but liked HM). IMO this was a stroke of genius to renew interest in old rides, and now the POTC has come full circle. The ride inspired the movie, and the movie has now inspired redesign of the ride.

POTC is and has always been my favorite attraction at DL, and although I count myself a traditionalist I am glad to see Disney working the movie elements back into the ride. Guess I will have to reserve final judgement until I see the results for myself in August.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Personally, I'd never heard of them trying to shoehorn the Flying Dutchman in for the Wicked Wench. I had always thought it was Black Pearl or bust. Not to mention how odd that would have been. Oh well, as far as I'm concerned, let Bruckheimer clutch on to something.

As for the topic of the thread, I'm actually curious. PI, if you've heard the preview for the soundtrack (or are one of the ones that already has the whole thing), seeing how the score for the next movie runs a gauntlet of styles, if they were to weave the theme into the underscore, what musical style would you hope for them to do it in?

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate
    As for the topic of the thread, I'm actually curious. PI, if you've heard the preview for the soundtrack (or are one of the ones that already has the whole thing), seeing how the score for the next movie runs a gauntlet of styles, if they were to weave the theme into the underscore, what musical style would you hope for them to do it in?
    I did hear some of the samples that were made available on-line, and I do not mind the contemporary styles, personally.

I actually think that variations on the theme of "Yo Ho! Yo Ho!" could be incorporated into the score using the same rollicking, orchestral, and moderately electronic style, which both of the composers seem to prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy
    Well that would be Disney doing their best to create a tie-in which historically is how Disney works - when it can. As everyone knows many of the original DL rides were based on movies. And many recent rides as well (e.g., Monsters Inc). Then someone came up with the idea to make movies based on rides (Black Pearl, HM, and I think there was a Country Bears movie - never saw that one - but liked HM). IMO this was a stroke of genius to renew interest in old rides, and now the POTC has come full circle. The ride inspired the movie, and the movie has now inspired redesign of the ride.

POTC is and has always been my favorite attraction at DL, and although I count myself a traditionalist I am glad to see Disney working the movie elements back into the ride. Guess I will have to reserve final judgement until I see the results for myself in August.
    ditto
    pshhh i guess

Angry Re: Why Isn't the Attraction's Theme Song Used in the Film's Score?

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    I think very highly of "The Curse of the Black Pearl", and I think that the film expands upon elements introduced in the attraction really well. However, I was somewhat disappointed that the melody of "Yo Ho! Yo Ho!" is not used in the musical underscore, at all.

The score to the new film seems to ignore this famous tune, too. Has anyone else made a similar observation, and does anyone think that the oversight needs to be corrected in the third film, at least, in order to be faithful to the spirit of the source material?

What would "Pirates of the Caribbean" be without its theme song?
    Because the twit that did the music for the movie had NEVER been on POTC untill after he got the job to do the movie. I'm glad others feel the same way about this. The song wasn't used in the movie but now the movie music is being used in the ride? Thats just a stupid move IMO. YO HO is as known as Small World, it should have been in the movie and it should be the only music in the ride.

• FastPass n00b

We have to keep in mind that what works for a theme park ride, doesn't necessarily work for a film...and visa versa. While it would've been nice to work in the theme somewhere in the original film, the movie really was *based* on the attraction, it was never intended to be a recreation of it. They had to give the movie its own identity, otherwise people would just think of it as a complete rehash of the ride. Even the new Pirates ride is simply based on the movie, it doesn't retell the movie's story at all.

Personally, I think they did an excellent job keeping the film and attraction separate while still paying homage to their counterparts.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I don't know why, but video wise, I love the music they added to the ride, especially during the Ship-Fort battle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast