Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rainbow caverns

• A Disneyland Hobo

Re: Rainbow caverns

Awesome pictures, Frogberto!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

^ Wow! Thanks for sharing those lovely pictures!

• Neep meep beep

And here's what's left of the attraction now (at least what's left of what Big Thunder Mountain didn't build on top of). Again, these pics appear with permission of dldhistory.com:

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by fantasywatersfreak
    does anyone know if they still have the tracks or rainbow caverns inside the several blocked off caves from the rainbow ridge train ride?
    And, in direct answer to your question, I'll tell you this - there are pictures on the internet that were taken inside the "blocked off caves" you mention. They're not that exciting. On the bottom of the caves is a lot of debris, and what appear to be water valves for the pneumatic effects and water in the old cave part of the ride.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by themur
    The DLRR was not moved to create the Fantasyland theater. The Fantasyland Theater was built in the mid 80's (one of the first things by Eisner) but Small World had obviously been in the park for years and as you all know the train runs by the front of the show building.
    The track was indeed moved. It use to go right behind Casey Jr./Storybookland. When Videopolis came, they needed more room so they pushed out the track. The had no need to move the track for small world because most of the ride was outside the berm.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

i would give anything for a ride through video of Natures Wonderland , to bad people did'nt geek out back then like we do now... ha ha ha

My Maleficent tattoo

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto

Those are bears in the water, by the way. The train passed through what became Bear Country (now critter country).
    Bear Country/Critter Country is on the opposite side of RoA. The Mine Train never went to that side of the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus
    The track was indeed moved. It use to go right behind Casey Jr./Storybookland. When Videopolis came, they needed more room so they pushed out the track. The had no need to move the track for small world because most of the ride was outside the berm.
    I never heard that but I'd buy it. Most of the ride for Small World was outside the berm but the track was modified when IASW came in.

• What have I done?

WOW great photos of Natures Wonderland! Wish I had the chance but wasnt alive either. The ride if were still around today woudl appear dated almost like Knott's Calico Mine Ride which is still a very good attraction (Knott's first btw) to this day. But I am glad we have BTMRR. It is one of my faves!

"This guy!"

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Bear Country/Critter Country is on the opposite side of RoA. The Mine Train never went to that side of the river.

I never heard that but I'd buy it. Most of the ride for Small World was outside the berm but the track was modified when IASW came in.
    The photo captions have the mine train going through "bear country". If not the bear country around to where critter country now is, it must have been another area that was called "bear country" within the ride.

There are many, many pictures of bears visible from, and around, the train. I just couldn't "bear" to include ALL of them!

I have always felt sad that they took out so much to put in so little.

I love Big Thunder as much as the next person, but it seems so small compared to what was eliminated.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    To my understanding many of the tour guides don't have their information straight lol.

I never got to ride the Mine Train as I wasn't even alive during that time, but I've seen some footage of it on a recording of one of the old Disneyland shows. Too bad it was all in black and white...I so wanted to see what the rainbow caverns looked like in color. But from what I could see it looked quite cool.

Wonder how difficult it would be to go back and try to connect the tracks to make a new train ride? Then they could clear out the old Festival of Fools arena, stick a fun old western heros ride there, and the train could even make a short trip through the building...*sigh* I wish I was an Imagineer lol.

Love the tour guides...but yeah, I've noticed wrong information before
    I wasn't going to sit there and fight her w/ a large group who wanted a tour.

I totally think they could bring the mine train back.
    If WDW can get Mt. Everest, we should get our mine train back.
    Never go to ride it either...but w/ today technology, it could be brought back and more fun.
    Why not Dig down and make the ride under some of the walkway too?
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus
    Here's a little thing I did a few months ago. It's modern day Big THunder with the path of the original Mine Train.(light green).It looks like the Rainbow Caverns buidling is now the BTMRR Maintneince. The original Disneyland Railroad track path is in dark green, before being moved by the Fantasy theatre to its' current path, the Red line.

Speaking of the Mine Train, I'm am in the process of Recreating the Mine Train in O scale(actually, it's ON30, O scale on HO gauge, makes it look like narrow gauge). Using the map provided by Yendorb you can figure out what everything is. Also Keeline.com is also working on a version of the Mine Train Ride too in a smaller scale (HO scale trains on N scale track).

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...%20Wonderland/
    Did you use the plaster sheets to make rocks etc for your layout. I had a large layout in my garage (HO) and had three separate lines running at once with one large mountain which I nick named Big thunder mountain...lol. but AWSOME PICS!!!!!!! you did a great job with this layout!!!! Did you get the engine and cars custom made?

• FastPass n00b

Was this train powered by electricity or an internal combustion engine? I never see any steam coming out of it but it looks too big to be powered by anything else.

Even though it was removed 2 years before I was born, I'm very pissed at Disneyland for removing it. Not only did I never get a chance to see this, I would've LOVED to have ridden this ride over Thunder Mountain ANY day as a little kid (I was deathly afraid of Thunder Mountain when I was young). Today I've grown to like Thunder Mountain, but if I had a choice I'd *still* chose the mine ride even though I'm 27.

• FastPass n00b

I want you guys to know that if I am ever CEO of Disney I would bring back the Mine Train complete with 21st century technology. $100 million to bring it back?...do it! Ahhh, to be CEO.

I truly am sorry you missed riding the Mine Train and I sincerely hope you are the CEO of Disney some day.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast