Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rainbow caverns

• Minion

Re: Rainbow caverns

I have fond memories of the mine train, but it would never fly now.
    It was a slow paced, nostalgic look at natures wonders.
    It just couldn't compete for the precious space in DL now.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Neep meep beep

A surprising amount of the same elements of the Mine Train made it into Big Thunder Mountain, which is at least something to be thankful for.

There is a DVD ride-through of Nature's Wonderland at www.extinct-attractions-club.com

They took old home movies of the ride, a copy of the recorded sound track (done by Dallas McKennon) and put it together to create a virtual ride-through. That, plus historical info and some interviews makes for an incredibly detailed history of the attraction. It's well worth it.

By the way... the picture below shows exactly where the Big Thunder revisions were put, superimposed over an original Disney map of Nature's Wonderland. The old mine train route is shown pretty clearly.

I tried laying this out over the top of an aerial photo of the park, and it's easy to see that the old Rainbow Cavern shed has been removed.

Last edited by NWRREngineer; 06-29-2006 at 04:33 PM.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by fantasywatersfreak
    Did you use the plaster sheets to make rocks etc for your layout. I had a large layout in my garage (HO) and had three separate lines running at once with one large mountain which I nick named Big thunder mountain...lol. but AWSOME PICS!!!!!!! you did a great job with this layout!!!! Did you get the engine and cars custom made?
    The Rocks are done with paper mache (newspaper soaked in watered-down glue) and Celluclay (paper pulp that gets hard when wet) on top. The engine is a stock engine from Bachmann that was repainted and the cars are scratch-built from styrene sheets (plastic sheets) and styrene strips)plastic strips).

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    Was this train powered by electricity or an internal combustion engine? I never see any steam coming out of it but it looks too big to be powered by anything else.
    The trains were electric but they were driven by the tender. They used heavy-duty Forklift batterys.

Quote Originally Posted by NWRREngineer
    I tried laying this out over the top of an aerial photo of the park, and it's easy to see that the old Rainbow Cavern shed has been removed.
    That's what I did! I used that same picture you posted and layed it on top of the aerial. What a coincidence!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsix
    If you want to see something close to raindow caverns go to knotts and ride the calico mine train. The show elements are almost as close to what this attraction used to be.
    Oh, did the mine train have scary evil undead miners, too? I swear, the Calico Mine Train freaks me totally out.
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• My Own Oasis

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    The photo captions have the mine train going through "bear country". If not the bear country around to where critter country now is, it must have been another area that was called "bear country" within the ride.

There are many, many pictures of bears visible from, and around, the train. I just couldn't "bear" to include ALL of them!
    I remember watching a video of Nature's Wonderland somewhere online in the past and I can confirm that there was a section during the ride where the narrarator mentioned to the train that they were entering "Bear Country". This isn't the same Bear Country that is the current Critter Country though. During this part the bears from the above pictures of the bridge were seen going fishing for fish and also the bear scratching his back on the tree stump on the other side of the RoA could also be seen from the ride.

Actually, I believe that the Bear, the Moose and the little native girl with her dog we're added with the Nature's Wonderland attraction and are more of what was left over after Big Thunder was added. I could be wrong though.

• Neep meep beep

Wow. This simple thread is amazing. It's a testament to the brain power on Micechat that a simple question had links to video, old photos, satellite photos, and a map overlay to answer the question. Fantastic!

And adoborocks, I see I was wrong about "bear country" (not to be confused with the area formerly known as uh, "bear country"). Great job everyone!

Okay, this is over-the-top geeky, but I'll post it anyway.

I had a dream just a few nights ago that I was with my wife in Disneyland, and we were walking along Big Thunder Mountain trail so I could stop and stare wistfully into the little pond where the fish jump and the bears used to be... and they were restoring Bear Country. All of the bears had been put back in and restored to their original glory. They were fishing, climibing trees, scratching their backs and doing other stuff all over. It was so cool and I was so happy they were putting Nature's Wonderland back in.

And then of course I woke up.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Banned User

So, where the cave is where you can see some tracks by the BTMRR exit, There was a bridge of tracks where the old ride went through?

• Neep meep beep

Yes. Apparently that's where there was both water and a bridge.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus
    The trains were electric but they were driven by the tender. They used heavy-duty Forklift batterys.!
    Hahahaha Batteries that never had to be replaced, even though they were only guarenteed for 3 years and the vendors expected them to go after about 2...
    ...after that Disneyland's cycling model of the trains was used as a product training example for other companies to get the most fromt hier batteries.
    It also probably made the vendor rethink how they were making these batteries. A lifetime was probably not how long they wanted them to last.

• Theme Park Advocate

There is a good reason that Knott's Calico Mine Ride feels/reminds so much of Rabio Caverns. First a quote form Ed Feuer, former Disneyland engineer.
    "You never wanted to copy what the other guy was doing,..." "But when Knott's came out with the log ride [and mine ride], we said to ourselves, 'Darn, why didn't we think of that?' "
    Untill Priates was opened Knotts was the superior park when it came to theming and the industry and public knew it Disney just had the better publicity. Much of the the concepts for the original park located in burbank were mainly knockoffs of what he saw over at Walter Knott's Berry Farm/restraunt and Ghost Town. Look at Splash Mountain, when the concept was being thrown around for an additional Bear Country attraction, someone whos name remains unspoken basicly said "We Need something with the staying power of Knott's log Ride" hince for the most par Splash Moutains layout is rater similar to Knott's log ride , just supersized. (just as a side onte KNott's Timber Mountain Log ride was the first flume ride to take your photo)
    themeparks.demonbird.com - pictures and reports of Disney and non Disney parks form across North America.
    Knott's Berry Farm - Spring Flowers - Snoopy's Spring Safari - Sierra Sidewinder

• Neep meep beep

Not only that, but an imagineer for Star Tours, and Indiana Jones, had this to say about the Calico Mine Ride, and its influence for Indiana Jones:

"The strategy I thought made the most sense was to use one big set (ala Knott's Berry Farm's Calico Mine ride.) The Knott�s ride had one central space you revisit several times. We also planned to make the Indy ride vehicle the show and use it more. After all, the Indy vehicle was expensive, and the moves the car could make were not being exploited. Before the car was to drive into big audio-animatronic scenes with Nazis. It was more spectacle and linear story and not too thrilling. Eventually we eliminated the expensive static show and turned it into more of a thrill ride."

Source: http://www.themedattraction.com/sotto2.htm

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by alex-jmp
    Untill Priates was opened Knotts was the superior park when it came to theming and the industry and public knew it Disney just had the better publicity.
    I'm sorry, but that statement is ridiculous.

Yeah, as a little girl in the 60s, I would have chosen a trip to Disneyland over a day at Knott's for sure. But Knott's has seriously changed over the years and barely resembles the park it used to be--I always loved our visits to Knott's Berry Farm, but I wanted to LIVE at Disneyland.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast