Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rainbow caverns

• back in Austin

Re: Rainbow caverns

Man, I went to DL in 1978 and have no memory of riding the Mine Train at all. Sadly.

But then again, maybe that's cuz BTMRR opened in 79. I'm guessing that the whole area would have been closed for construction of the new ride???

I'm very sorry I missed it. Sounds like a fun ride.

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by travelmom
    I have fond memories of the mine train, but it would never fly now.
    It was a slow paced, nostalgic look at natures wonders.
    It just couldn't compete for the precious space in DL now.
    THAT, my friend, is a shame.

DL needs a nice mix of faster-paced and slower stuff. Some people come for the charm and the atmosphere.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Wink Re: Rainbow caverns

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan
    Man, I went to DL in 1978 and have no memory of riding the Mine Train at all. Sadly.

But then again, maybe that's cuz BTMRR opened in 79. I'm guessing that the whole area would have been closed for construction of the new ride???

I'm very sorry I missed it. Sounds like a fun ride.
    The Mine Train closed in 1977

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by NWRREngineer
    Okay, this is over-the-top geeky, but I'll post it anyway.

I had a dream just a few nights ago that I was with my wife in Disneyland, and we were walking along Big Thunder Mountain trail so I could stop and stare wistfully into the little pond where the fish jump and the bears used to be.. And then of course I woke up.
    This is wierder. I had a dream last night that I WAS WITH YOUR WIFE and WE were walking along the trail together while you were watching them rebuild the bears..funny.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus
    The Mine Train closed in 1977
    Well, that would explain it then, wouldn't it? So close, but so far....

• Ian The Fox

It's really sad how the time passes so quickly. It's almost as if, when you blink, you're missing out on a whole era.

People take take things way too much for granted these days.
    Woof!

• insufferable know-it-all

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville
    This is wierder. I had a dream last night that I WAS WITH YOUR WIFE and WE were walking along the trail together while you were watching them rebuild the bears..funny.
    Ouch dude, seriously.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2
    I'm sorry, but that statement is ridiculous.
    Must concur.

• Theme Park Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Must concur.
    If this quote helps, it is from Bob Rogers. Bob Rogers is the one responsible for creating "The Magic of Disney Animation" at MGM Studios and Mystery Lodge at Knott's and was a former Disneyland Cast Member (Merlin's Magic Shop) in the 1950's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rogers
    Until that point, anybody who did a rational comparison would have told you that Disneyland was vastly better promoted, but Knott's Berry Farm was the better park. When Pirates opened, Disney finally had something that eclipsed Calico Mine as the greatest dark ride on the planet.
    themeparks.demonbird.com - pictures and reports of Disney and non Disney parks form across North America.
    Knott's Berry Farm - Spring Flowers - Snoopy's Spring Safari - Sierra Sidewinder

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by alex-jmp
    If this quote helps, it is from Bob Rogers. Bob Rogers is the one responsible for creating "The Magic of Disney Animation" at MGM Studios and Mystery Lodge at Knott's and was a former Disneyland Cast Member (Merlin's Magic Shop) in the 1950's.
    We lived in Simi Valley from 1961-70, so I grew up going to both Knott's and DL frequently during my childhood years (I'm 51). We enjoyed both parks. Going to either one was a treat. The Calico mine train was and is an impressive ride. Nothing against Knott's.

But whatever his credentials, on this point Rogers is nuts. Given a choice between going to one or the other, there was NO contest with us kids, and not because of "promotion." DL was bigger and better in every way. The Jungle Cruise, the Mine Train, the cluster of classic Fantasyland dark rides, Primeval World, Tiki Room, Lincoln, Small World (no jokes, please; it is a highly original feat of imagination by any measure), TSI, the Matterhorn, the Subs.

Sorry, but even before 1967, DL beat the snot out of Knott's.

• Banned User

I have a good photo of the cave tunnel in the "Hidden Things In Disneyland" Thread.

Oh, one other detail I forgot. Disney's Mine Train, including Rainbow Caverns, appeared four years before Knott's Calico Mine Train, so the direction of influence is clear.

• Mousketeer

I agree, we used to go to both Knott's and Disneyland in the 60's and 70's. We enjoyed Knotts, but loved Disneyland. My father would get all of the unused tickets from his friends that went to Knotts and we would use them. My family stopped going to Knotts when they started charging admission prices comparable with Disneyland, and we felt that if we had to pay, we would choose DL as it was far superior.

I still love both the calico mine train and Knott's log ride is still one of the best (really only Splash Mtn. is better IMO)

• Neep meep beep

Hmm. I didn't think so, but I am afraid you're right. Wikipedia had reported that Walter Knott came up with the Calico train ride and ghost town to give people waiting for a table at Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant something to do, thus creating "America's First Theme Park", but wikipedia (and answers.com, who uses the same information), places creation of the Calico Mine Ride at 1960, vs. the Nature's Mine Ride at Disneyland, which I believe dates to the park's opening in 1955.

Well, not to be pedantic, (okay, to be pedantic), the Mine Train opened in 1956. The "Nature's Wonderland" enhancements came in 1960.

An interesting bit of trivia I read somewhere is that those
    "Nature's Wonderland" bears, beavers, etc. introduced "audio-animatronic figure" into the Disney lexicon. Supposedly, that was the first use of the term.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast