Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rainbow caverns

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Rainbow caverns

does anyone know if they still have the tracks or rainbow caverns inside the several blocked off caves from the rainbow ridge train ride?

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Re: Rainbow caverns

Quote Originally Posted by fantasywatersfreak
    does anyone know if they still have the tracks or rainbow caverns inside the several blocked off caves from the rainbow ridge train ride?
    I think there are parts
    But I've wondered the same thing.
    The part track coming out of the cave I would assume is part of the old track.
    I ask a tour guide once and she said it never came across the river.
    But that was a tour guide.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Banned User

Man, there still around??

If they are, Disney should connect them and make a walk-through sort-of-thing.

Ride the Mark Twain and look over by the former home of Cascade Peak... the tracks ride quite a ways there.

• Shubisha

I looked into that back in 2003. I never found a definite answer, but the best I could gather is that they were located around what's now the backstage area behind the rainbow ridge buildings and next to that path through the gates at the end of big thunder trail...pretty much right next to pinocchio's village haus. I think it might have been through a long, tunnel looking show building too. I don't think this building exists anymore.. Perhaps it does. Maybe it's a CM place. I dunno =D

I used to have maps for comparison but am unable to find them through google again heh.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fantasywatersfreak
    Dont know what is backstage. Not to fond of BTMRR and I really miss the old mine train and the pack mules. I wish I could find the photos of me on the mine train going towards rainbow canverns. I did finally get NaTURES wONDERLAND dvd FROM EXTINCT ATTRACTIONS CLUB. Which has some wonderful footage of rainbow caverns. It you want to see something close to raindow caverns go to knotts and ride the calico mine train. The show elements are almost as close to what this attraction used to be.
    Jason

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71
    I think there are parts
    But I've wondered the same thing.
    The part track coming out of the cave I would assume is part of the old track.
    I ask a tour guide once and she said it never came across the river.
    But that was a tour guide.
    Here is a link to a picture of those tracks that never came across the river

E-ticket magazine printed a map of the ride.

• Mousketeer

The folks that run the site keeline.com have a real love and affection for the mine train and they have many images on thier site of the ride. here is a link to the map

it's not to scale of course, but you can see where the rainbow caverns were. it is probably safe to say that they were completely removed during BTMRR construction.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Here's a little thing I did a few months ago. It's modern day Big THunder with the path of the original Mine Train.(light green).It looks like the Rainbow Caverns buidling is now the BTMRR Maintneince. The original Disneyland Railroad track path is in dark green, before being moved by the Fantasy theatre to its' current path, the Red line.

Speaking of the Mine Train, I'm am in the process of Recreating the Mine Train in O scale(actually, it's ON30, O scale on HO gauge, makes it look like narrow gauge). Using the map provided by Yendorb you can figure out what everything is. Also Keeline.com is also working on a version of the Mine Train Ride too in a smaller scale (HO scale trains on N scale track).

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...%20Wonderland/
    Last edited by Nautilus; 06-29-2006 at 08:41 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

To my understanding many of the tour guides don't have their information straight lol.

I never got to ride the Mine Train as I wasn't even alive during that time, but I've seen some footage of it on a recording of one of the old Disneyland shows. Too bad it was all in black and white...I so wanted to see what the rainbow caverns looked like in color. But from what I could see it looked quite cool.

Wonder how difficult it would be to go back and try to connect the tracks to make a new train ride? Then they could clear out the old Festival of Fools arena, stick a fun old western heros ride there, and the train could even make a short trip through the building...*sigh* I wish I was an Imagineer lol.

The Rainbow Caverns themselves were inside a shed that doesn't exist any longer. They were at the very end of the ride, just before you got back into Rainbow Ridge and unloaded.

Using the picture above as a reference, this shed was "buried inside" (actually just behind) the hillside that had the town of Rainbow Ridge on it. The green line shown isn't quite accurate; it extends toward the castle a bit too far, but the part of the line at bottom right would be just about where the Rainbow Caverns shed was located.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

The current photo with the approximation of the train is great. The DLRR was not moved to create the Fantasyland theater. The Fantasyland Theater was built in the mid 80's (one of the first things by Eisner) but Small World had obviously been in the park for years and as you all know the train runs by the front of the show building.
    The Mur

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    To my understanding many of the tour guides don't have their information straight
    If your talking about the Calico Mine Train, then you are right. For some reason they say it was a gold mine and really no gold was found in Calico,Ca. It was mostly a Silver Mine. There were other ores found there, but the price of silver drove every one to Calico. When the price of Silver fell the town shut down.
    Jason

• Neep meep beep

For your enjoyment, here's a magazine article about the attraction. The picture is copyright the Walt Disney company:

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    ...I never got to ride the Mine Train as I wasn't even alive during that time, but I've seen some footage of it on a recording of one of the old Disneyland shows. Too bad it was all in black and white...I so wanted to see what the rainbow caverns looked like in color. ...
    Here's the color pictures of the attraction that you and I never saw! (All photos appear with permission of dldhistory.com):

Those are bears in the water, by the way. The train passed through what became Bear Country (now critter country).

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast