Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Just noticed...(yet another peoplemover thread)

I was over at laughingplace.com reading the message boards and on a thread about Peoplemover there are things like:

-I want it to come back...so you can relax, move your purchases around, chat with people, oh and take in the sights.

-Never had a line.

-Eats up crowds.

-Families want it.

Okay...
    IMO, the Peoplemover should not come back. Families do no longer find a 2mph ride acceptable. No, little kids don't want mind boggling speed but I saw families pretty much enjoying Rocket Rods.

That's why Rocket Rods was a better choice for those tracks. Families are different now than they were in the 1960's.

Also, if a ride "never had a line", that must mean its not popular. I understand the huge capacity of Peoplemover but it loaded fairlly slowly. And yet never a wait? Hmm.

Also, if you want it back JUST so we have something to relax on, let's just ask them to let us sit up on the empty tracks! I don't think we particularly need another ride where you just sit and waste time. You can read your guidemap and learn whats in Tomorrowland anyways. Sorry to sound harsh. Plus, plenty of things are relaxing throughout the park. Like Storybookland Boats.

Now, the sights were pretty cool--but Tomorrowland just is a collection of fairly plain (no matter what color) buildings. And on the old 2mph ride you felt like it was taking forever to get to the next tunnel.

One question--Why does Peoplemover track have all those fairly steep dips around Autopia? Seems weird for a slow ride. (The track wasnt built for Rods).

Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    One question--Why does Peoplemover track have all those fairly steep dips around Autopia? Seems weird for a slow ride. (The track wasnt built for Rods).

Just my thoughts.
    I think the Peoplemover had steep track because when it was built it was meant to show a rapid transit system for the future. As most of the natural terrain of this planet is not flat, I suppose it was made to simulate the idea of transportation over long distances. Also, it makes the ride a little more interesting.

And your point is definetly correct, the Peoplemover track WAS NOT built for Rods!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• șoș Tom șoș

I was over at laughingplace.com reading the message boards and on a thread about Peoplemover there are things like:

-I want it to come back...so you can relax, move your purchases around, chat with people, oh and take in the sights.

-Never had a line.

-Eats up crowds.

-Families want it.

Okay...
    IMO, the Peoplemover should not come back. Families do no longer find a 2mph ride acceptable. No, little kids don't want mind boggling speed but I saw families pretty much enjoying Rocket Rods.
    Maybe you are just to young to remember familes who also enjoyed PeopleMovers consider that dismaying fact.

That's why Rocket Rods was a better choice for those tracks. Families are different now than they were in the 1960's.
    Different yes...better? No. Familes are more stressed forced to deal with far more "high speed" stresses than in previous generations as both parents are being forced to work in the average family and children participate in more extra-curcular activities than ever before. Highway speeds in most place has risen by 10mph, most of us do 90mph on the freeway. So shouldn't family have entertainment opportunities that travel at a leisurly speed? The Mark Twain, Railroad, and the People Movers all represented opportunties to relax. So like I said>>>Different>>>Not Better.

Also, if a ride "never had a line", that must mean its not popular. I understand the huge capacity of Peoplemover but it loaded fairlly slowly. And yet never a wait? Hmm.
    What was I reading yesterday that 65% of guests ride Star Tours everytime they come to the park. I have never had to wait more than 15 minutes to get on board. Wow, must mean it was a very unpopular ride.

Also, if you want it back JUST so we have something to relax on, let's just ask them to let us sit up on the empty tracks! I don't think we particularly need another ride where you just sit and waste time. You can read your guidemap and learn whats in Tomorrowland anyways. Sorry to sound harsh. Plus, plenty of things are relaxing throughout the park. Like Storybookland Boats.
    Did you actually ride the PeopleMovers? Unlike Storybook, this ride was elevated above Tommorrowland and interacted with various attractions in a way that Storybookland Boats never could.

Now, the sights were pretty cool--but Tomorrowland just is a collection of fairly plain (no matter what color) buildings. And on the old 2mph ride you felt like it was taking forever to get to the next tunnel.

I will grant you that sights alone have never been enough to create an immersive ride experiance on PM. However I think that PeopleMovers could be an interesting ride experiance if the cars had artificial navigators- a voice, a narrator who explained the concept of Tommorrowland as you traveled through, the same way the the narrator does on the trains. While I would like to see the People Movers travel slightly faster, I think it is a youthful expression to desire FAST! FAST! FAST! Maybe thats why accidents are so much higher among teen drivers. Don't see as many of those among families. Just a thought.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    Families do no longer find a 2mph ride acceptable. No, little kids don't want mind boggling speed but I saw families pretty much enjoying Rocket Rods.
    I saw family upon family upon family enjoying their ride on the peoplemovers at WDW on our last trip. We rode it quite a few times ourselves, my (at the time)4 year old and my oldest both loved it. So have to totally disagree with this statement. It also rarely had a line but it ALWAYS had people on it, it's constantly moving which helps dispel the line.

Families couldn't all Rocket Rods together, you could all ride the Peoplemover together, no matter what the ages of the family ie toddler to grandpa.

It didn't feel like "forever" to get to the tunnels. And not every ride is about speed speed speed, case in point Storybook, as you mentioned. People do enjoy a leisurely ride around the parks, (the train hello)or lands. It's not always about drops, speed and adereline.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

I'm pretty sure families have no issue with a slow ride. Let's face it, kids can get exhausted at Disneyland and it's a good ride to relax on while still "doing" something.

I loved the PM, especially the part where you go through Star Tours. I do miss it so.

• Minion

IMO the Peoplemover should come back... But in a differant form that travels just slightly faster...

Why does every ride in the park have to be thrill ride at 35 miles an hour?

Rocket Rods was deeply flawed from initial planning stage... It was one of those underbudgeted projects that passed through Strategic Planning, and probably shouldn't have... This is what happens when WDI designs under a budget... You get rewarded with a ride that doesn't work and gets mothballed...

My memory was that it did have a line, but it was a fast loading ride that had no bottle neck in its loading process... Like say Autopia, HM, POTC, even splash...

In the future people don't relax, is that what you are saying... Relaxation is fantasy? Come on here... Peoplemover was a classic example of Walt's idea to present a permanent "Worlds Faire." The Peoplemover was an exhibition... Not only did you tour Tomorrowland, and got to see aspects of the park you could not see from any other point of view...

Like I said, why does every ride have to be 35 miles an hour to be enjoyable... We are constantly moving faster, and faster...

Like I said their is a differance between the track and the platform... no body answered if it was the track or the platform that was damaged...

I miss the people mover... I miss Innerspace... I miss circlevision... I miss america sings... I miss mission to mars and the albatross landing...

When they replaced everything, as an effort to improve the area... Tomorrowland just was not the same... It still is a fraction of what it should be now... IMHO...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

Now I'm beginning to understand why meth addictions are on the rise. Do you sleep, MBC?

I'm with cellarhound on this one.
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

• Minion

I miss the PM also, and my whole family would still enjoy it today.
    We also loved Rocket Rods, and was sorry that such a neat idea, was done on the cheap, and was destined to fail.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    Well, I never rode any of these. BUT, I know for a fact they aren't coming back, or atleast aren't coming back for a very very very long time.... Both rides sound neat, but were now in the 21st century and I say, they should replace it, so we can all stop living in the past... I have nothing against the past, but why not create a whole new, amazing ride?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Minion

What's wrong with a nice, leisurely open-air ride around Tomorrowland and the lovely park-like Submarine Lagoon and Autopia raceway area (unless we have to look at the Observatron too). Sounds relaxing - - I'd like that right now, please.

• Banned User

Okay...
    IMO, the Peoplemover should not come back. Families do no longer find a 2mph ride acceptable. No, little kids don't want mind boggling speed but I saw families pretty much enjoying Rocket Rods
    Totally untrue. First of all, most of the general public doesnt even know what they want the'll just go to Disneyland and ride whatevers there. Second of all, I dont know where you come up with this, the Peoplemover in Florida is pretty popular and its an excellent family attraction since unlike most new rides, the whole party can ride it together. I know my family and im sure several others absoluetly love the idea of the peoplemover.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Okay, I'm sorry, maybe I was a bit too strong. Families WOULD enjoy Peoplemover but it wouldnt hurt to go a little faster, like 10mph ish.

• CM for 4 years!

Or DLRR. That's what DLRR is for me. I can do all that stuff there, and see the ENTIRE park!

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    Well, I never rode any of these. BUT, I know for a fact they aren't coming back, or atleast aren't coming back for a very very very long time.... Both rides sound neat, but were now in the 21st century and I say, they should replace it, so we can all stop living in the past... I have nothing against the past, but why not create a whole new, amazing ride?
    Oh we shouldn't live in the past? Ok we'll just rip up Main Street USA replace it with a dark ally fro modern Los Angeles. Then we can take Adventure Land and replace it rides based on modern adventures like driving through Watts and Compton. Then in Frontierland, well damn there is no more frontier. Then in New Orleans we can recreate Girls Gone Wild. Yeah your right who needs nostalgia when you've got roller coasters and thrill rides that make your ear drums bleed.

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries
    A lot of fqamilies have fond memories of that ride. A lot of families got their start on that ride. :devil:
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast