Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Show Must Go On

With the technical difficulties Pirates of the Caribbean has been having, the subject of guest evacuations has been one of the main topics of conversation on-line this past week.

These unforseeable circumstances actually can be predicted to a certain extent, and the procedures for addressing the problems can potentially be made more a part of the show. Like any live production, Disneyland is subject to unwelcome surprises, sometimes. But, these challenges can be thought of as opportunities to inject a little spontanaeity and improvisation into the experience.

Walt Disney, being the consummate showman he was, understood this principle very well. If something goes wrong on stage, performers either try to distract the audience or make the mistake a part of the show. For example, during the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the monorail, the scissors famously did not work. So, Walt Disney, without missing a beat, laughed at the happily ridiculous turn of events and made the incident a part of the show by improvising an entertaining solution.

He, then, used the footage of the ceremony in his television program and made the mistake seem almost as if it was a planned bit of funny business.

A little more such showmanship might help keep guests happy and defuse the same kinds of grievances some people have expressed over the last few days.

• The Happiest Cynic

Re: The Show Must Go On

Scissors not working and evacuating a giant horde of people out of a water flume are two completely different things. I fail to see how in the world they're supposed to make evacuating Pirates of the Caribbean "spontaneous and entertaining" at all.

What you're asking is unreasonable and unrealistic. Yes it's Disneyland, yes it's supposed to be some kind of magical flawless experience, but there has to be some room for error and some understanding on behalf of the guests that not everything is always going to work properly 100 percent of the time and it's unreasonable to demand that even when the ride breaks down and they need to be ushered out that they're still being entertained and catered to every step of the way.

Yeesh.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I agree with you Swami. Nothing in this world is perfect. Even Disneyland. If I got stuck on PotC and had to be evacuated the last thing I'd want is to be made to feel that this wall all on purpose and have to be "entertained" by CM's. Just get me off the ride and I'll be happy. Don't give me any sideshows and tell me how perfect and lovely Disneyland is because that will just irritate the hell out of me knowing full well that it's not perfect because if it were, rides wouldn't be breaking down!

• Hooterville, USA

In Walt's time, people weren't there for instant gratification. Now days, people don't have the patience nor see any humor when things don't go their way.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I'd train the pirate entertainers to do the evacuating. That would be fun. It'd be like the ride came to life.

That is, of course, trying to make the idea of being "evacuated" fun. It could also lead to a change in what I think is currently a rather silly breakdown announcement.

"Arr, we've been boarded. Remain seated please and keep an eye out for pirates and a hand on yer valuables."

I'd dig it.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate
    I'd train the pirate entertainers to do the evacuating. That would be fun. It'd be like the ride came to life.

That is, of course, trying to make the idea of being "evacuated" fun. It could also lead to a change in what I think is currently a rather silly breakdown announcement.

"Arr, we've been boarded. Remain seated please and keep an eye out for pirates and a hand on yer valuables."

I'd dig it.
    Ha ha - I would too. That would be AWESOME!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate

I'd dig it.
    This is exactly what I am talking about.

With a little imagination, Disney could turn what is potentially a negative experience into something that can add to the show and leave guests feeling even better about Disneyland.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Encouraging fun during an evacuation is exactly the sort of thing that could turn a mild emergency into a serious disaster story. All evacutaions need to be addressed with the same air of caution irregardless of the true state of emergency. While most evacuations may be simple ride error with no threat of any danger things have a tendency to not go as planned in a real emergency. This is why there's no talking during a fire drill at school, it may not be real this time or most times, but you never know when it will be.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I'd actually like to be on POTC when it breaks down. Then i can finally say that I have been on a ride that broke down !

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Encouraging fun during an evacuation is exactly the sort of thing that could turn a mild emergency into a serious disaster story. All evacutaions need to be addressed with the same air of caution irregardless of the true state of emergency. While most evacuations may be simple ride error with no threat of any danger things have a tendency to not go as planned in a real emergency. This is why there's no talking during a fire drill at school, it may not be real this time or most times, but you never know when it will be.
    This is a good point. The purpose of an emergency evacuation is to get everyone out safely, not to "entertain". If people think it's part of a joke, or don't take care and treat the evacuation as serious and be aware of their surroundings, they could get hurt. No one wants that.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

It's a good point lazyboy (I know you from that RCT2 site...(Tragic Kingdom shall rise again;-)).

However, I really hope that it wouldn't take over an hour to evacuate the ride if there was a REAL emergency....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

If you're evacuating people from a ride, you have to bring the guests back to reality for a moment, especially if you're going to take them backstage (I don't consider trash cans very magical). Keeping them in the "magic" will only make them think the whole thing is a playground and they'll just wander away or just end up hurting themselves. Lots of people leave their brains at the gate-don't let them be under a disillusionment if something dangerous could happen if they don't pay attention.

• The one, the only...

I think the frequency of the problems should be a concern. POTC is not a new attraction. It does not need soft openings because it is the same ride system that has worked for almost 40 years. Why would that ride break down a couple times a day?

I have ridden that ride since soon after it opened. During the first ten years, there was rarely a breakdown, if ever. It was in the middle 70's that I first heard of POTC breaking down. Before the refurb, it was breaking down daily.

Now after the refurb it is breaking down daily. I was stuck on it for 15 minutes outside the Blue Bayou. Not a big deal, but I now know that banjo song by heart! But before the refurb, I watch people sitting out there for an hour by the BB. One just wonders what the problem is and why it was not fixed with the refurb.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

We only used to go to the park once a year, so if the ride broke down often, we wouldn't have necessarily known about it. Now with APs, I think people are more aware of how often a break-down occurs because they are in the park a lot more.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    I'd actually like to be on POTC when it breaks down. Then i can finally say that I have been on a ride that broke down !
    I agree. In 2003 we were on Indiana Jones when it broke down. Way cool! The lights came on and the seat belts let loose, and we got to walk out.

I agree with Prag. How about they keep sticky tags or buttons hidden away for events like this? Then when the ride breaks down, they give these out. "I was on POTC When It Came To an Unscheduled Stop in 2006".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast