Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 94
  1. #31

    • Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greater Vancouver
    Posts
    633

    Smile Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    Out of curiosity Beatle Johnny, have you ever been to a Disney park?
    Of course. Why would you ask that? Am I to assume that you think my view is so poor that you wonder if I have ever even been there?

    No worries, but the argument that you could die in the parking lot by a piece of space junk hitting the car beside you, it explodes sending you across the street where you get hit by multiple busses and finally fall on a dirty soup spoon infected with AIDS and die... it is nonsence.

    But I respect it. I also understand that everyone here is making assumptions. Until we know more of today's AVOIDABLE tragedy..... (and by that, I am not placing blame anywhere--- but the ONUS must be on the ride opperators to balance safety with marketing and industry conmpition)

  2. #32

    • Neep meep beep
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seven miles from Disneyland/DCA!
    Posts
    6,991

    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    But what percentage of total guests is that during the same time period?
    I am certain that the exact figure is somewhere near "tons" or "a heck of a lot of people". Like I said, statistically, the danger is extremely low. You're safer in a roller coaster than in your car.

  3. #33

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,260
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    There is no doubt that people do die, doing all types of tame and not so tame stuff. But whether or not that is what caused the death in this case is premature to tell. For all you know, the kid could have had a jawbreaker in his mouth, and ended up choking when the ride started from an obstructed airway, or could have had an allergic reaction to new medication, or could have been struck by something, or...
    Beatle_johnny accused me of making an assumption that many of these deaths are attributed to undiagnosed medical conditions. I am in no way claiming any knowledge of what happened today. Beatle_johnny though does seem to want to ignore this FACT regarding many amusement ride deaths.

  4. #34

    • Neep meep beep
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seven miles from Disneyland/DCA!
    Posts
    6,991

    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Beatle_johnny accused me of making an assumption that many of these deaths are attributed to undiagnosed medical conditions. I am in no way claiming any knowledge of what happened today. Beatle_johnny though does seem to want to ignore this FACT regarding many amusement ride deaths.
    I see, and your point is taken and comes through in your post. However, remember to keep it civil. There are tons of disagreements on this board, and we all feel passionately about the subject. But it's the basic rule that we should attack the posting (the content, more specifically), and not the poster.

  5. #35

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,048

    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    But I respect it. I also understand that everyone here is making assumptions. Until we know more of today's AVOIDABLE tragedy..... (and by that, I am not placing blame anywhere--- but the ONUS must be on the ride opperators to balance safety with marketing and industry conmpition)
    Are only some posters allowed to make assumptions while others are chastised for their assumptious nature?

    I mean, that seems like one big assumption you are making.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  6. #36

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    636

    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    no one has died on Indiana Jones.
    Ummm.... http://www.dldhistory.com/deathinj.a...&Page=12&ID=43

    &

    http://www.dldhistory.com/deathinj.a...Page=12&ID=211

  7. #37

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    409

    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    anyone else bothered by the implicit "Nanny State" overtones to this discussion?
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

  8. #38

    • Water rides are evil.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    97

    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    I would have to think that if Walt were alive today he would have wanted to have roller coasters like Rockin' Roller Coaster and rides like Mission Space. You have to take into account that when Disneyland was built, you would be hard pressed to find a looping roller coaster if at all. Walt put in the Matterhorn, a high speed thrill ride. His vision of how families would interact I'm sure would have included extreme rides including Rockin' Roller Coaster, Mission: Space, and Tower of Terror.

    He was a visionary after all. :-)

  9. #39

    • I'm your huckleberry.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    Posts
    6,176

    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    If all six of these deaths occured at Disney's Animal Kingdom in 2005 they would account for 0.000073% of all visitors.

    Animal Kingdom has the least number of visitors of the Disney World parks at an estimated 8.2 million with Magic Kingdom pulling in nearly twice that many at 16.2 million. So less than 0.000073% of all guests who attend Walt Disney World in a year will die while there.
    Thanks lazyboy... IMO that's a staggeringly good safety record!

    Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

  10. #40

    • I'm your huckleberry.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    Posts
    6,176

    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    No worries, but the argument that you could die in the parking lot by a piece of space junk hitting the car beside you, it explodes sending you across the street where you get hit by multiple busses and finally fall on a dirty soup spoon infected with AIDS and die... it is nonsence.
    Nonsense, yes, but I'd wager that the chances of you dying in this manner (minus the AIDS infected spoon, AIDS can't be transmitted that way), are basically equal to a person's chances of dying at a Disney park in their lifetime.

    Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

  11. #41

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Capital City! Err....Sacramento
    Posts
    949

    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000
    HELL NO THEY DONT! What Cedar Point and Six Flags Over Goerga have done with TTD and KDK pisses me off so muhc. Its almost as if they have no interest in human health and only care about having the tallest fastest coaster in the world which I dont think anybody cares about anymore because they are both weak excuses for roller coasters.
    What exactly do you mean??? I do not understand how having the tallest fastest coaster = not caring about your guest's health.

    BTW, I think Top Thrill Dragster is AWESOME. Sure, it is a one trick pony, but what a trick! When I went, there was a 78 year old man riding the ride. What I heard from him "I was shot down over Nazi Germany in WW 2. This ride cannot be that bad. "

  12. #42

    • Misses Disneyland
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca
    Posts
    977

    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    When does a a theme park need thrill rides? Does an amusement park need theming? When does a ride become dangerous? What % of the public is a safe % of the public to put at risk on thrill rides?

    I am sick of hearing of deaths on thrill rides. When people have a reasonable assumption that they do not have undiagnosed preexisting medical problems, I feel the onus must be on Disney to offer rides that seem thrilling but infact have limitations of speed and G-Force.

    Is it due to compitition amongst other thrill/amusment parks?

    I am sick over this.

    And please do not confuse the Big Thunder Mountain accident with these recent deaths by stroke, heart failure or other undiagnosed problems. That was a tragedy but its cause was elsewhere.
    Yes. Theme parks need thrill rides so they can appeal to all audiences. These rides are crammed full of warnings, so people should know their limitations. I have a bad back, which on some rides they say do not ride with back problems. Do I ride? Of course. That is a risk I am taking. My back could pinch up at any time, even while I am doing laundry. So that is the risk I take to have a little fun. If I had high blood pressure or something, NO, I would not ride such thrill rides with warnings.

    I think it's pure coincedence (sp?) that over the last 2 years, people with unknown conditions happened to travel and ride these rides, and their rides ended up fatal. Seriously, none of these have been from operator error, nor from ride malfunction (with 1 exception), so why are you blaming the rides? RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!

    Elsa's and Anna's
    Disneyland Dec 2014

  13. #43

    • Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greater Vancouver
    Posts
    633

    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Beatle_johnny accused me of making an assumption that many of these deaths are attributed to undiagnosed medical conditions. I am in no way claiming any knowledge of what happened today. Beatle_johnny though does seem to want to ignore this FACT regarding many amusement ride deaths.
    I have no interest in flaming anyone or arguing points that are clearly red herrings. I never once mentioned or ignored any FACT about "many amusement ride deaths" and challenge you to go back and quote me if you feel that way.

  14. #44

    • Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greater Vancouver
    Posts
    633

    Smile Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfreeek
    I think it's pure coincedence (sp?) that over the last 2 years, people with unknown conditions happened to travel and ride these rides, and their rides ended up fatal. Seriously, none of these have been from operator error, nor from ride malfunction (with 1 exception), so why are you blaming the rides? RIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!!!
    There must be a tolerance level that is acceptable to a greater percenatge of the population. One example of this is how they changed Mission Space.
    Last edited by Beatle_johnny; 06-29-2006 at 08:10 PM.

  15. #45

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Mission Viejo
    Posts
    411

    Re: Does a theme park need dangerous thrill rides?

    I think the Disney parks have a wonderful variety of rides that appeal to most everyone. If the thrill rides bother you, by all means, don't ride those rides, but to deny everyone else the opportunity to experience these rides seems ridiculous.

    People need to make their own decisions about what's best for themselves and their children. My sister has a bad back, so she avoids the Indiana Jones ride. Smart woman. I'm assuming most people are intelligent enough to make these decisions for themselves.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Spring Break, but w/o the thrill rides?
    By Haunted Pennies in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 01:49 PM
  2. Has Disney got the next gen of theme park rides?
    By OogieBoogie in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 02:55 PM
  3. [Chat] No More Thrill Rides for You!
    By Witches of Morva in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 05:21 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 09:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •