Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• șoș Tom șoș

Disney Fatalities

Working for a news station I have access to an incredible wealth of knowledge, namly google news, and this morning as I covered the death in Florida ran across a couple figures that got me thinking.

One site is reporting that there have been eighteen deaths related to Disneyparks since 1989. Another described seven deaths in Florida alone in the last eighteen months. Still another says nine deaths since 2004.

Alarming? Perhaps.

However it begs some speculative perhaps even controversial questions:

*Have Disney parks become more unsafe in recent years?

*Have rides become more intense? Are they creating unsafe G-forces and speeds?

*Have rider become weaker, more fragile, less healthy- and thus unable to handle the same rides we experienced before 2004, before 1989?

*Or are people who might have read warning prior to 1989/2004- simply choosing to ignore warnings?

*Is this evidence that state should become involved in regulating the rides? If so which department? or should the federal government create an organization whose purpose is to monitor and regulate rides?

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Re: Disney Fatalities

As for the ride issue, let's just say that there are bigger and faster rides that produce a HECK of a lot more force than was Disney has to offer. I would chalk that up to bad luck, especially considering that some of the conditions that the "thrill" rides had aggravated could have been triggered by ANYTHING, from Dumbo to Pirates to Haunted Mansion to Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Bad things happen to good people.

Life sucks

Live every day as if it might be your last

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

I just think that people with health problems think that it would be okay to ride these rides, almost every death on a ride is because the person had some type of health issue.

Sadly, people do die...everyday in this world. Just because it happened after someone rode an amusement ride shouldn't always mean that ride may be the cause (even if presumed). The media does it's fair share to perpetuate these types of stories with Disney, becuase it catches headlines. Many other deaths go un-noticed and un-linked to rides at various other parks throughout the USA. The previous poster is correct in regards to health concerns. Every ride has a posted warning, that isn't there just because a lawyer said so. These are reasonable cautions to the rider, which are a result of what has happened somewhere in the past.

It's a very sad truth, but people do need to consider their health above all else. I for one don't ride some rides (and even don't visit some parks) because of the potential health concerns with those attractions.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by fantasywatersfreak
    I just think that people with health problems think that it would be okay to ride these rides, almost every death on a ride is because the person had some type of health issue.
    Almost every death on a ride is because the person had some type of health issue? Well THAT's not true. If you look at the list of deaths, most of them were due to taking risks, ignoring warnings, or trying to do "stupid human tricks", not due to "health issues". Unless you consider mental health issues. Then you have a point.

• Circle of Ancients

I said this in another thread, but I will say it again.

The North American Parks hosted 123 million people in 2004 and 2005. 9 people out of 123 million isn't even a percentage you can calculate.

And I hate to say it but with the obesity and the way we eat in this country it's no surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    Almost every death on a ride is because the person had some type of health issue? Well THAT's not true. If you look at the list of deaths, most of them were due to taking risks, ignoring warnings, or trying to do "stupid human tricks", not due to "health issues". Unless you consider mental health issues. Then you have a point.
    I think he/she was referring to the most recent string of deaths.

• Just this guy......

I would suggest that you take a look at snopes to look at the history of people who have died at Disneyland.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/deaths.htm

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Gothemi
    The media does it's fair share to perpetuate these types of stories with Disney, becuase it catches headlines. Many other deaths go un-noticed and un-linked to rides at various other parks throughout the USA.
    Just FYI- I am one man but wanted you to know I strive to put all theme park related news on air because in this day in age- interest in theme parks is as relative as movie news or interest in comic books and should be considered one of the popular arts

I also quoted MiceChat members in my 5 pieces on the accident this morning and added to a package which seemed to highlight the theme park deaths only at Disney parks

• șoș Tom șoș

http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/Amus2005.pdf

I found this website which has statistics that run from 1987-2004. Between those years fixed rides at theme parks had 47 known fatalities-

Whats interesting is the fatality rate at fixed rides at parks like Disneyland, Six Flags, Knotts, etc- versus mobile rides like fairs and moving amusement attractions.

Those mobile rides which we all mock had close to two thirds less fatalities for the same period and are inspected to very high safety level under state and federal regulations.

I am not advocated state or federal regulations for Disney parks just providing information for the discussion.

• FastPass n00b

Driving to Disneyland is far more potentially lethal than any of the rides. And anyone who's driven in Orange County knows how true that is.

But if someone is really worried about the safety of Disneyland's rides, they really shouldn't drive there, take a train or fly there because there's WAY more that can go wrong with planes, trains and automobiles (great John Hughes film by the way) than anything at Disneyland. By the way, airline travel is extremely safe so I'm not trying to make it seem like it's dangerous. It's just that, relatively speaking, Disneyland attractions are safer than using any kind of transportation to get to the park.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Death is the last thing that I worry about when I go to the Park.

Death is a fact of life. It's going to happen to all of us, sooner or (hopefully) later. I don't tempt fate, so we always follow the safety rules like we should. With the exception of a few, the deaths that I have seen at DL qualify for the Darwin Award. Do something stupid and you're gonna pay for it (maybe with your life...).

As mentioned above, it is way more dangerous just getting to the Park, versus the Park itself.

Unfortunately, folks die in all types of parks, not just DL. If it was just in DL, OK, there would be a problem. But it's not. It's everywhere.

Just part of "life".

I'd have to check, but I think more people are killed by falling coconuts per year. I'm not sure where I would go to find the statistic on that, but last I heard, that number is rather high.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/Amus2005.pdf

I found this website which has statistics that run from 1987-2004. Between those years fixed rides at theme parks had 47 known fatalities-

Whats interesting is the fatality rate at fixed rides at parks like Disneyland, Six Flags, Knotts, etc- versus mobile rides like fairs and moving amusement attractions.

Those mobile rides which we all mock had close to two thirds less fatalities for the same period and are inspected to very high safety level under state and federal regulations.

I am not advocated state or federal regulations for Disney parks just providing information for the discussion.
    I'd have to see the stats where carnival rides have less fatalities. I have to believe that major parks have more people and their ratio of guest per death is far less.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast