Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Disabled People with Attitudes

But its annoying because they aren't really disabled.

• Empress of Randomness

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz
    But its annoying because they aren't really disabled.
    Yeah i agree

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

• insufferable know-it-all

Well, as far as the toe thing, that person could have recently had surgery on an ingrown toenail. I understand that can be VERY painful to walk on.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

... would be an awesome name for a rap parody group.

What, the D.W.P.A.?

Straight outta Anaheim,
    crazy guest asstance pass wheelchair.
    From a building where people tend to stare
    At you, 'cause you're not walking through the park,
    All those bigoted *&%^$ better &%^$^ or else...

Straight outta Anaheim...

at own post, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by America Stings
    ... would be an awesome name for a rap parody group.

• Minion

Well I have only met 1 disabled person at DL and she had a great attitude!

I had to put in that plug for ya CL!

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    What, the D.W.P.A.?

Straight outta Anaheim,
    crazy guest asstance pass wheelchair.
    From a building where people tend to stare
    At you, 'cause you're not walking through the park,
    All those bigoted *&%^$ better &%^$^ or else...

Straight outta Anaheim...

at own post, sadly.
    Damn, that s*@# was dope!

BTW, you had it mixed up -- it'd be the D.P.W.A.. The D.W.P.A. is who you pay your utilities bill to, I think.

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    Well, as far as the toe thing, that person could have recently had surgery on an ingrown toenail. I understand that can be VERY painful to walk on.
    Trust me. I been there. Never want to do it again.

[GRAPHIC SURGERY DISCUSSION ALERT]

I remember the surgeon telling me I'd have a "divot" in my toe for a while afterward. I'm sitting there thinking, "Divot. Divot. Okay, where have I heard that word before?" My mind starts doing the Stephen King thing: "Oh, yeah, isn't that the chunk of OMG IT'S THE CHUNK THE BIG CHUNK OF GROUND THAT'S CHOPPED OUT WHEN YOU HIT A GOLF BALL!"

Suddenly, divot didn't sound like such a cute little word anymore.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Hey all! As I am handicapped, I'd love to give you a different perspective. I had my right leg amputated above the knee when I was 11 years old. I've worn a prosetetic ever since, with the exception of this past year while I was doing more chemo (blah). When I wore my leg and walked around in the park, I felt kinda normal. Minus the pain of walking on a hard plastic thingy and getting heat rash on my thigh (nice huh? :0) I did everything like the two legged folks. (hehehe) Disneyland refused to let me use the handicapped entrances because I wouldn't ride around in a wheel chair. What ever. My husband and I took it slow and used the fast passes as much as possible as a sort of quick queue.

I've heard that the policy has gotten better towards handicapped people, but I don't know first hand. I kow that many handicapped people are rude and it shouldn't be tolerated, but please do try and see things from their perspective.
    I know that when I go out in my wheel chair I get stares and whispers and points. It makes me feel unattractive... maybe that's just me not having my leg on though. I feel constantly on display being in a wheelchair. I'd give up the fast access "10 minute waits" if I could just be a normal person in the crowd. Sometimes, even though it looks as if people who are handicapped have it easy, that isn't usually the case.
    Being in a wheel chair doesn't give anyone an excuse to be rude or mean, but sometimes we're crabby cause our situation sucks.

As for the poeple who fake it, I hope you all choke on that churro. Please don't check out a wheelchair just becasue you're lazy and don't want to stand in line.

Kudos to the who are kind and accomidating to people in wheel chairs. There is nothing that makes me feel worse then using the handicapped line at a park (The Boardwalk or Great America for example) and getting yelled at by people who have been waiting in line forever. I really don't want to cut and ahve people stare, but that's just where I am at in life.

Good thread!

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• For You!

Thanks for your thoughts violet, I was hoping someone who has "experience" would say something - I'm not knocking anyone for having to use the handicapped entrances - it was just two people that thought they deserved more than the rest of us - no one has the right to be completely rude to a CM for something they have no control over.

Is is really that tough dealing with handicap access? Other than the pain of bringing out a separate boat in Small World - it does look like Disney bends over backwards to help out.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Oh, I totally agree. They seem to be very accomidating to people who need it. I further agree that no one should be allowed to be rude to anyone.. anywhere... especially DL! Teh Cms are working, trying to please everyone ... they're probably hot and tired and they still manage to put on a smile for the masses. Kudos to them. :0)

The handicapped entrances are very nice, I'm assuming. I think it's fabulous that they do go so far to accomidate everyone. Boo on mean people. :0)

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• A Pirate's life for me!

People can be idiots whether or not they are disabled...

Sad to say that unfortunately, I have seen a few truly disabled folks who unfairly try and use it to their advantage, which in turn hurts the reputation of all disabled folks. They overly complain about stuff and threaten reports to the ADA and such, all in an attempt to get more just because of their disability. (certainly not directed to ANYONE here at MC)

And Crazy Legs should be a Saint. After all that she has been through, she still manages to keep a smile on her face and a very upbeat attitude.

She is truly FIRST CLASS!!!

• The Dark Ride

Points.

1: No matter what happens to you in the park, there is never, ever any excuse to raise your voice or berate a city hall cast member, as they did not perform whatever abuse you're complaining about and likely have little to no ability to remedy it.

2: I've done my time in a wheelchair, some of it at Disneyland. I do know whereof I speak.

3: The guy sounds like he had a valid complaint regarding the trains. The first train, okay, not equipped, that's unavoidable. If the second train really didn't acknowledge him, that's an absolute breakdown of the system. -If- the wheelchair bay was full, at the VERY least a conductor should have come over and explained that. That's just common human courtesy. If it wasn't full, then there's no excuse not to get the man in the chair rolled on in. The spot for wheelchairs on the trains is ONLY used for that purpose, so it isn't like he's getting some fast way to beat the ambulatory crowds to seats they could use (which is what used to happen with the old handicapped ride entrances). There is simply no excuse for him having to wait for a third train with no contact from the conductors of that train.

Again, not an excuse for his behavior at City Hall later. Not an excuse for bitching about the first train not being equipped for handicapped usage, either.
    Mr. Dark
    Writer, Disney geek, madman.

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Let It Be.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen
    Thanks for your thoughts violet, I was hoping someone who has "experience" would say something - I'm not knocking anyone for having to use the handicapped entrances - it was just two people that thought they deserved more than the rest of us - no one has the right to be completely rude to a CM for something they have no control over.

Is is really that tough dealing with handicap access? Other than the pain of bringing out a separate boat in Small World - it does look like Disney bends over backwards to help out.
    Using the handicapped entrance isn't always shorter. People love to think it is, but reality is, Disney has limits on how many "handicapped" people can be on a ride at a specific time for evacuation purposes. On POTC, which can hold 900 people at any one time, the limit is 6. The line there is almost always 2-3 times what it is in the regular queue. Space Mountain queue can sometimes be shorter, but often is as long or longer than the regular queue. IASW HA is another one that almost always is longer than the standard queue. The train, oh that is a fun one. I can figure out what happened to the guy you saw. The handicapped car only can fit 1 chair. Only 3 trains usually have the wheelchair car. Lets say the train pulls and you have waited since the last car didn't have the HA car and the conductor told you "The next one has the HA car", but there is another chair in that space. Now you wait for the next train, and it again doesn't have the HA car. So you wait again, hoping the next train has the car, AND its empty. It is one ride to avoid in a chair.

Now, should the HA queue be shorter than the standard queue? Remember how much longer and harder it is to navigate the park in a chair. My daughter was in a chair for a spiral fracture of her foot. (She was a teen and hated the looks she got by people thinking she was faking.) On a 3 day trip, she lasted 4 hours in the chair, then refused to use it and walked (against doctors orders and she was in a boot.) It was just too hard to manuver. So, from this perspective, I have NO PROBLEMS with them having no waits on some rides, and its too bad they have to wait longer on several rides.

BUT, Disney does go out of their way to assist.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast