Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• New Mexico DL Freak

Re: Disabled People with Attitudes

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590
    I have no problem with disabled people.

I have a problem with "disabled" people. You know, the ones who only need a wheelchair when the line for Space Mountain is long. After they bypass the 2 hour wait, you see them get out of their wheelchair and RUN off!!! It's a shame that these "disabled" people make the people who are genuinely disabled look bad.........
    I don't either, mainly because I am one.

The reason peope can get away with that is becaue they are allowed to. CMs can't be everwhere, so when you see that happen, call it to the attention of a CM.

• ...lurks...

My vote is that if anyone is snotty, put em' to the back of the line. The only reason to act in any manner other than civilized, is if someone in your party is having a medical emergency and people are not moving fast enough to get out of the way on the trip to the first aid station or ambulance...then it's no-hold-barred.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had a lady in an ECV (the electric scooter thing) run over my kids toe...and then got pissy with me and her, because she blamed us for her bad driving. I told her, "Listen lady, you're the one driving that thing, YOU need to be more careful- we were just walking." She ranted and raved about how she was disabled and that we should be watching for her, blah, blah.

My patience ran out in about 10 min., and I told her that I thought she was a sad case because she let her disability destroy her attitude.

Now don't get me wrong, I've met (some are close friends) people who have disabilities, some being pretty limiting to the individual- and not one of them had even come close in temrs of having a extremely snotty outlook/attitude, in comparison to this toxic devil on an electric scooter.

Even if she just said sorry (even blankly or like she didn't mean it) would have been suffice- but for her to blame US for HER driving. We didn't weave one bit- walking straight ahead- she's the one who went in front of us and cut across- catching my kids toe in the process.

BTW- my kid is okay- scared more than anything else.

Well, I was aiming for two cents, but there's my buck-fifty.

shadow

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by shadow
    My patience ran out in about 10 min., and I told her that I thought she was a sad case because she let her disability destroy her attitude.
    Chances are that her attitude was bad before she became disabled. As many people have pointed out already...if a person is a jerk, there a jerk, no matter if they are disabled or not.

• ...lurks...

Quote Originally Posted by Goin2DL
    Chances are that her attitude was bad before she became disabled. As many people have pointed out already...if a person is a jerk, there a jerk, no matter if they are disabled or not.
    Good point, maybe my comment to her was more out of anger than anything else...

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura678
    When my friend was on his school trip to Paris and the were in DLP, his friend rented a wheelchair just for the sake of it...and they sped through the crowds...and then rammed it into a footpath and he fell out...then thay ran off....i must admit its kinda funny!
    Um, no its not.

At all.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Laura678
    When my friend was on his school trip to Paris and the were in DLP, his friend rented a wheelchair just for the sake of it...and they sped through the crowds...and then rammed it into a footpath and he fell out...then thay ran off....i must admit its kinda funny!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeederScout
    Um, no its not.

At all.
    ^^^^ Yeah... what he said.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

How about this: A LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG line at the bathroom. The handicapt stall opens up, I use it. Someone in a wheelchair comes in through the exit and yells at me because I used HER STALL. "that's just for handicap people" Sorry I say, it's for everyone, and where is it written that you dont' have to wait in line to pee like the rest of us?? She seemed to think that because she was in a wheelchair she was exempt from waiting in the bathroom line. Wait in line like the rest of us, when the handicapt stall comes up you go. Right?

jan
    Janette

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget
    How about this: A LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG line at the bathroom. The handicapt stall opens up, I use it. Someone in a wheelchair comes in through the exit and yells at me because I used HER STALL. "that's just for handicap people" Sorry I say, it's for everyone, and where is it written that you dont' have to wait in line to pee like the rest of us?? She seemed to think that because she was in a wheelchair she was exempt from waiting in the bathroom line. Wait in line like the rest of us, when the handicapt stall comes up you go. Right?

jan
    On the other hand I can't tell you how many times I have been in a public restroom with plenty of regular stalls available but a non-disabled person decides to use the handicapp stall. I end up waiting for them to come out before I can take my daughter in and help her use the restroom. Meanwhile everyone else is coming and going around us as we have to wait...is that fair?

Before any of you sit in judgement about disabled people's supposed "perks" just try living in their shoes for one day. Everything is harder for my daughter, and for us for that matter. Any "special treatment" does not make up for that. As I stated ealier in this thread :
    I would gladly trade getting onto a ride more quickly if I could give my 9 year old the ability to walk and climb into the ride by herself
    Last edited by Goin2DL; 07-02-2006 at 09:39 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget

jan
    I will disagree. The handicapped stall is for handicapped primarily. Just like handicapped parking spots are for handicapped persons. They aren't just for the first driver to arrive and a handicapped person waits for the space to become available. If a person needs to use the handicapped restroom for reasons such as taking a small child in with them, I don't have a problem. But realising the handicapped person takes 3-5 times longer to use a restroom than the rest of us, I have no issues leaving the stall for them to use. I am very happy I don't need to use that stall.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Minion

I thought I would share a picture of my daughter at the park with all of you. Though I know sometimes it may seem like people with disabilities get special treatment, please understand how great it is that my daughter is able to go and enjoy Disneyland like other kids. As a family we aren't always able to do things that other families do (Biking, going to the beach, etc.) One of the reasons that we visit DL as often as we do is because they make it accessible. The next time you are feeling annoyed because you had to wait a little longer...keep that in mind.

Here is my daughter Alyssa with my son Zac and my niece Nicole (oh and of course Mickey). I tried to make the picture smaller but didn't have any luck.

</IMG>
    </IMG>

• Aw....man !

Quote Originally Posted by Goin2DL
    I thought I would share a picture of my daughter at the park with all of you. Though I know sometimes it may seem like people with disabilities get special treatment, please understand how great it is that my daughter is able to go and enjoy Disneyland like other kids. As a family we aren't always able to do things that other families do (Biking, going to the beach, etc.) One of the reasons that we visit DL as often as we do is because they make it accessible. The next time you are feeling annoyed because you had to wait a little longer...keep that in mind.

Here is my daughter Alyssa with my son Zac and my niece Nicole (oh and of course Mickey). I tried to make the picture smaller but didn't have any luck.

</IMG>
    </IMG>
    Thank you for the insight. That was an eloquent way of making an excellent point. It certainly brought things into perspective for me.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

• Empress of Randomness

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    Um, no its not.

At all.
    Now that i think about it its not that funny...

I apolagise if i offended anybody

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

If I go to a public restroom that has a handicapped stall, I'll use a regular stall if there is one empty. But if they are full and the handicapped stall opens up (and there are no handicapped people waiting for it) then of course I'm going to use it. Its not "reserved" for them, unlike handicapped parking spaces, which are; if it were it would be posted as such. Handicapped stalls make restroom accessable; they are not "exclusive".

Now if I bolted into it ahead of a handicapped person that would be another story.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    If I go to a public restroom that has a handicapped stall, I'll use a regular stall if there is one empty. But if they are full and the handicapped stall opens up (and there are no handicapped people waiting for it) then of course I'm going to use it. Its not "reserved" for them, unlike handicapped parking spaces, which are; if it were it would be posted as such. Handicapped stalls make restroom accessable; they are not "exclusive".

Now if I bolted into it ahead of a handicapped person that would be another story.
    Let me agree where with a minor difference. I have no problem with the wheelchair not waiting in the line for the stall. Let's say there are 6 stalls, including the one handicapped stall. Even if they did wait in line, they would still have to wait for about 5 more people on average than I would for the one stall to become available. But then, I would also let the mom with the 3yo crying "But I have to go NOW!" go ahead of me and not wait, because I can remember way back when when my kids couldn't time going to the bathroom with lines for the women's restroom.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234