Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• For You!

Disabled People with Attitudes

I want to start by saying that this isn't an attack on anyone with a disability - just a couple of observations that I made a couple weeks ago. I went into City Hall to make a compliment and a guy in a wheelchair (and a friend) were ranting a raving to a poor cm. He was complaining that he was waiting for the train and the one he was told that he'd have to wait for the next train, because this one wasn't equipped for wheelchairs. So, he waited 5 minutes for another train, and he was not even acknowledged and the train went on. So, he had to wait another 5 minutes in the heat! Which was totally unacceptable! (the rest of us had to wait 2-3 trains all day as well and were just as hot) Anyway, he was calling the ADA and going to write letters, blah, blah, blah. I just stood there staring. He was completely making a fool out of himself because he had to wait for 10 minutes to get on a train!

Next case. Splash Mountain. Now, people in wheelchairs get to go through the exit and bypass the 90-120 minute line. a woman came in and was furious because she had to get out of her chair to ride the ride. She let loose ranting about unequality and why the ride wouldn't fit her wheelchair, etc. Doesn't it state at the entrance of the rides if it's a transfer or non-transfer ride?

I realize this is just a few bad examples and no way was in the majority - but do people really feel that they can be that snotty? Disabled or not?

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Re: Disabled People with Attitudes

Sadly some do. Has nothing to do with being disabled. I think being in a wheelchair gives them a mode of complaining, but they'd find something else to complain about.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Re: People with Attitudes

People are people regardless of physical abilities, unfortunatly the bad apple (people) are the ones that stick out. Although to tell you the truth if I was confined to a chair at DL and had to navigate around during a busy day or night, I imagine my patience would wear down much quicker then most guests. Combined with the understaffing at all stations at DL, Food/Attractions with high attendance it just spells trouble!

• For You!

I would have just been happy that I didn't have to stand in the huge lines!!! Oh and, there were plenty of cranky "fully-abled" people, but these just happened to turn my head a little more - they were really rude. Oh yeah, and each of them brought in about 10 family members with them.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Minion

I have no idea HOW they would be able to secure any wheelchair to a coaster car, considering how many differant makes and models of chairs there are! It would take an EXTREAMLY long time to rig each chair, and now that the CHAIR is strapped in, how do you keep the passanger strapped into the chair? Its just not possible unless Disney devises a wheel chair and locking system and require ALL disabled people too use THERE chair if they want to ride. Then you have another set of pissed off disabled people who want too use THERE chair.

The point is that you cant please everyone. Disney does go very far in trying to cater to these disabled guest's, but you can only go so far. Its impossible to have true "equality". Besides, just try going on any of the rides at 6 Flags and see how for THEY cater too disabled people, and im sure there openion will change about how "poorly" they are treated at DL.

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen
    I would have just been happy that I didn't have to stand in the huge lines!!! Oh and, there were plenty of cranky "fully-abled" people, but these just happened to turn my head a little more - they were really rude. Oh yeah, and each of them brought in about 10 family members with them.

Mmmm...now it does sound a little like it's because they're disabled: "What are you complaining about - you didn't have to stand in those long lines," i.e. lucky you, you're in a wheelchair.

I think it's like others have said - it's a few bad apples, not the whole group. I've seen plenty of people complaining about plenty of things - doesn't mean anything except that those individuals are rude, cranky, etc.

• Sock Puppet

You know, most of the issue is that most disabled people are used to the old way of handling wheelchairs at Disney. And that is immediate boarding the minute they show up at the exit. Now, alot of queues (mostly in DCA) are wheelchair accesable or they are like space and perfected a way to load wheelchair guests in a safer and efficient (for the attraction) way that limits how many wheelchairs can ride at once, so they end up waiting in a fifty to sixty minute line anyways. I know that I have dealt with that case on several occasions where they just felt like they didn't have to wait in any line because that's the way it used to work.

• Minion

I would have just been happy that I didn't have to stand in the huge lines!!!
    I personally would trade not having to wait in line and just about anything else if my daughter could have the abilty to walk.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I think it is a few bad apples. It does seem like the wheelchair folks stick out more, and I'm sure some of that comes from the fact that we who are not in wheel chairs see them at times getting to skip lines, get on the busses first et all...and so when we get that nasty human being in a Wheelchair it sticks in our mind, and becomes a "most of them". DL has as many normal folks ripping CMs for stupid things...we just don't remember them as much because they are that, normal, what we are used to seeing. Doesn't make it a prejudice, its just that the differences make us remember them more.

• disneyland59

On our April trip I did notice quite a few people that were in wheelchairs because of a bandaged foot or what not. I didn't ask but I'm fairly certain they weren't "disabled". One healthy young guy had a bandage on his toe using a wheelchair. I think people take advantage of the wheelchair policies. Doesn't this makes it harder for people truly wheelchair bound?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lostchildhood
    On our April trip I did notice quite a few people that were in wheelchairs because of a bandaged foot or what not. I didn't ask but I'm fairly certain they weren't "disabled". One healthy young guy had a bandage on his toe using a wheelchair. I think people take advantage of the wheelchair policies. Doesn't this makes it harder for people truly wheelchair bound?
    Yes, it makes other people have poor attitudes towards the legitimately disabled.
    Though it has gotten better in recent years. There are a lot less "fake" cases then there used to be.

The fakers (Kids/people faking disability to use a chair to bypass ques) has been largely dealt with at DL in my opinion. Unfortunatly those kids have now all just gone to SixFlags MM where they can still get away with it. Well once Magic Mountain closes its doors and turns into condos and track homes (pretty soon I imagine, 1 year tops,but that is off topic) unfortunatly we might see those folks make there way back to SoCalAP land, beware!

• Head Salesman

Now, people in wheelchairs get to go through the exit and bypass the 90-120 minute line. a woman came in and was furious because she had to get out of her chair to ride the ride. She let loose ranting about unequality and why the ride wouldn't fit her wheelchair, etc. Doesn't it state at the entrance of the rides if it's a transfer or non-transfer ride?
    How can she claim inequality if she has to transfer? Everybody else (non-disabled) has to climb into the logs, too. Is that not equal? And if she really wanted equality, she should have been made to wait 90-120 minutes just like everyone else.

I push my stepmother around the park and we always use the handicap ride access. If we're asked to wait a little while, no problem. There's only a certain number of handicapped allow on the ride at one time, we can wait. Some rides have wheelchair accessible queues, which we use instead of going through the exit. People just don't understand that the purpose of handicap access is exactly that: it gives you access to a ride when you can't go through the normal queue. It doesn't guarantee immediate or quick loading, and it doesn't guarantee that you don't have to transfer. I just spent a three-hour wait in the handicap line to ride Pirates of the Caribbean on Tuesday, which was FAR longer than the regular line. Did I gripe? Nope!
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

• Banned User

Also, i hate the people who get wheelchairs just for the short waits. Like teenagers who speed though crowds to be funny with ther friends.

• Empress of Randomness

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz
    Also, i hate the people who get wheelchairs just for the short waits. Like teenagers who speed though crowds to be funny with their friends.
    When my friend was on his school trip to Paris and the were in DLP, his friend rented a wheelchair just for the sake of it...and they sped through the crowds...and then rammed it into a footpath and he fell out...then thay ran off....i must admit its kinda funny!

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast