Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Walt Disney, the Genius Who Keeps on Giving

"Dead Man's Chest" is expected to have the biggest opening of any movie in history, and the re-imagined forty-year-old Disneyland attraction is packing guests into The Magic Kingdom this Summer.

Is anyone else besides me amazed at how Walt Disney's genius continues to generate incredible success for the company he founded now forty years after his death?

• Banned User

Re: Walt Disney, the Genius Who Keeps on Giving

Well it depends how you look at it.

Yes, the Disney Corporation did a fantastic job on the 1st PotC movie and I don't believe the 2nd one will be anything less than amazing.

Walt Disney was a genius, like you mentioned Pragmatic. It is just so sad that most of the people who work in the Company now are very unlike Disney, who was fun, energetic, a tad adventurous, and kind.

And just for the fact he pushed his people and their nerves, he was called Anti-Sematic, rude, and un-loyal to his staff. Well, he got things done and all of those accusations have been ridden of his name - he never did any of that. And look how popular his first park is doing just by itself!

GOOD JOB WALT!

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Yes. Absolutely. Pretty damn amazing, that guy was.

It's a testament to his creating works of such lasting value and significance.

In a time when the entertainment industry barely cares about more than just opening weekend revenues for a movie, I am really quite glad that the people responsible for these films have aspired to create something ageless, as well. Capt. Jack Sparrow is a character that will stand the test of time, and I have a feeling his exploits will be entertaining generations to come just as the Disneyland attraction has since its opening in 1966.

• Banned User

^True, Pragmatic.

But in all honesty, I think Belle, Ariel, Aurora, Cinderella, and etc will always be the big ones. I mean Capt. Jack is great, but in like 100 years, he won't be that fondly remembered, unless they keep him in the attraction, which I highly doubt will be the case in a 100 years.

After watching my copy of "The Curse of the Black Pearl" once again, I'm really impressed with the efforts of the screenwriters. I know that "Dead Man's Chest" expands upon the ideas introduced in the "Pirates of the Caribbean" attraction even further, and I am anticipating the best.

Everything I know about the project so far seems very clever and imaginative. If everyone recalls, the mythical Davy Jones was mentioned often in the original attraction, and the idea to visualize him and make him a real character in the film is absolutely inspired.

I haven't had this much excitement for a new movie in a long time.

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Related to what you're talking about, when I see big POTC: Dead Man's Chest billboards, and big displays in store windows with all kind of POTC movie merchandise, I'm just amazed at how far and how big the original attraction made by Walt and then-WED has gotten and become. Very cool.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

This is one of the first times I've seen you truly excited about something new in the Disney fold, Pragmatic, and boy, I wish I could see this more often.

I totally agree with you. Jack Sparrow is a great, great character.

However, I do think Disney animated characters seem to have a bit more lasting power than Disney live action characters, but that's not to say Jack won't be around for a very long while!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

I still haven't visited the attraction, but I'm looking forward to doing so, as well. I won't be visiting Disneyland anytime this Summer, though, but that fact means that I'll have a chance to better understand the way Davy Jones and the rest of the new film relates. So, it's all good.

I'm passionate about all sorts of things, and Disney is one of them. I think highly of most of what was done when Walt Disney was alive and much of what was accomplished when Frank Wells was around. But, we have just had such a miserable last decade with Eisner that very few things existed, which would make a person feel good about The Walt Disney Company.

"The Curse of the Black Pearl" was a high point, though, and I think everyone agrees the film does do justice to Disney's legacy. Bruckheimer's production company was responsible for the film, however, which probably explains the reason Eisner's usual meddling, as well as his creativity-killing bureacracy, didn't screw the project up.

That situation is a blessing, and, thankfully, it has allowed these subsequent films to be made.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

I think this is where Disneyland has succeeded where few other parks have. Indeed, the Walt Disney company has more fans than any other. I am aware of fans of Warner cartoons, or Universal monster movies - for example - but very few companies have the level of fandom that Disney have. There are people who will literally buy everything with a Disney name attached, and the name is attached to almost every conceivable type of media.

Even the non-Disney properties in Disneyland - Star Tours and Indiana Jones - have a timeless quality to them, and I think that is something Disney strives for when it is working at its best. It doesn't always hit the mark in the films, but the theme parks are batting at a much higher average. Like the others on this forum, I think that in Jack Sparrow, Disney has found themselves a iconic character that may just outlive Johnny Depp. It ties in so seamlessly with the 1966 ride that is embodies all of those timeless qualities that the park does, while simultaneously drawing in a new generation of fans.

The legacy of Walt could not be better summed up than in the history of that ride and its spin-offs.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    I think this is where Disneyland has succeeded where few other parks have. Indeed, the Walt Disney company has more fans than any other. I am aware of fans of Warner cartoons, or Universal monster movies - for example - but very few companies have the level of fandom that Disney have. There are people who will literally buy everything with a Disney name attached, and the name is attached to almost every conceivable type of media.
    I agree with all of this. How many sites are there with Universal fanatics? I just don't think that other companies have fans the way that Disney does. I don't see a Universal Chat out there.....!

I'm lost... How does the movie have ANYTHING to do with Walt? It's tied by name alone... If anything the new additions to the ride separate it further from Walt's design.

• The one, the only...

Walt Disney succeeds even today because he employed some simple, but timeless, principles for his movies and attractions:

1) He tried to appeal to the "child-within." He did not target children or adults but that child-like quality in all people. It is the love of mystery and adventure. It is the desire to see all things turn out right in the end. It is belief that dreams do come true.

2) He did films and rides that were for the whole family. He was one of the only people in Hollywood who targeted the family audience. It has turned out to be the most profitable audience out there.

3) He believed in doing the absolute best for his guests. He valued people. Nothing was to be left "just good enough." He wanted to impress people with the newest technology. He was the first to use sound, color, and early stereo. His Disneyland was unlike any park in the world with its standards of cleanliness, attention to detail, and customer service.

These principles can still entertain and delight people because commitment to not to dumb down, appeal to the family, and present only quality are universally accepted by the public today. Other parks still don't get it. Others in Hollywood still don't get it either.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Quote Originally Posted by Lacrossedragon
    I'm lost... How does the movie have ANYTHING to do with Walt? It's tied by name alone...
    Not at all... "The Curse of the Black Pearl" and the upcoming "Dead Man's Chest" are remarkably faithful to the spirit of the attraction and to Disney's philosophy of art.

Just because the films have the requisite imprint of Jerry Bruckheimer does not mean that they are anything less than true Disney films.

In fact, "The Curse of the Black Pearl" is one of the most "Disney" releases to come from The Walt Disney Studios in a long time. I hope that Walt Disney Pictures can move more towards the Disneyland-inspired timeless stories, like "Pirates"; "The Chronicles of Narnia"; and, "Beauty and the Beast", and away from the ABC/Disney Channel-style "re-branded" product that has "relevance" only to prepubescent girls.

Anyone who thinks that the films are related to the attraction in name alone should watch "The Curse of the Black Pearl" again. The screenwriters, production designers, and other makers of the films are doing an extraordinary job expanding a sixteen-minute attraction into seven and a half hours worth of movie footage.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Pragmatic, you've hit the nail on the head with this one. In each post.

I'm delighted every time I see "Curse of the Black Pearl", seeing all of the details they incorporated from the ride. This is exactly the kind of movie Walt would have produced where he still with us.

Fads come and go, but true quality holds out over time, and Walt knew what quality was. And as JiminyCricketFan pointed out so perseptively above, Walt also understood human nature (better than most who've come after him!) and incorporated that wisdom into all of his projects. Hence their staying power.

Great thread, Pragmatic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast