Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Stuck on Pirates for an hour last nite 6/30

Well, we finally went to the park last night to ride pirates. We took our first ride and absolutely loved it!! Later in the evening we got in line again just before the 9pm fantasmic started. We got on the ride at about 9:10 and were having a blast when we got to the scene where they dunk Carlos. We were stuck there for about 30 minutes...they finally turned the audio off after about 25 minutes. Needless to say, that has to be one of the most annoying places to be stuck - "Carlos, don't be chiiicken"! They finally turned lights on and said we would be evacuated, and our boat began to move. All the boats behind us stayed where they were and we moved into the corridor right before the jail scene. Well all the boats that had been behind us floated up a few minutes later, completely empty. Then, all the boats in front of us were evacuated, but we were in a spot where they couldn't get us out, so there we sat!! I was struck by how ridiculous people get when stuck like that. My daughter and I were alone in the back row, and there was a family in the first two rows freaking out and screaming at the very kind cms who were trying to get us out, the woman even threatened to find her own way out if they didn't hurry!! The cm very politely told her that they were trying to start the ride up to move our boat forward, and there were mechanisms that could take her foot off, so that would be a very bad idea. At one point the teenage kids of this family just started to climb out and there was no where to go and they had to get back in. Then, the people directly in front of us decided to try to propel the boat forward by grabbing the shore and pushing, which only succeeded in moving the boat backwards!! I really kept thinking, do you think you're gonna push us and the 20 or so boats in front of us up the lift hill doing that??? Finally, some very nice cms helped us climb into the boat in front of us and then out of the ride. We got a pass to go to the front of any ride we chose, and the cm's were very kind and helpful, I felt sorry for them due to all the unneccessary abuse they got! We loved pirates though...we were stuck in front of the first Jack for quite a while and he is so life like, its just bizarre!!!

Thumbs down Re: Stuck on Pirates for an hour last nite 6/30

Yeah, if people would just remain calm and orderly it'd make things SO much easier... Now if the CM's were being rude about stuff, that's different, but they wern't. It takes time to evac that *GIANT* attraction with so many different show sceans and evac routes, not an easy task. Of course as always most people will just think about themself and nothing else matters (even their own safety). If someone got out on their own and fell or got sucked underwater by the pumps, you know for a fact they'd blame Disney.

Yes the magic will be broken for a bit... but it is still a man-made machine, in a giant warehouse type building, in the middle of Anaheim, that was built many years ago. Problems will happen... for some reason not many guests can understand that fact.
    Last edited by Wesley815; 07-01-2006 at 08:43 AM.
    -Wes

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Stuck on Pirates for an hour last nite 6/30

People can be so stupid at times!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• 3Ls:Law Lost & disneyLand

Quote Originally Posted by Bmxmom
    Well, we finally went to the park last night to ride pirates. We took our first ride and absolutely loved it!! Later in the evening we got in line again just before the 9pm fantasmic started. We got on the ride at about 9:10 and were having a blast when we got to the scene where they dunk Carlos. We were stuck there for about 30 minutes...they finally turned the audio off after about 25 minutes. Needless to say, that has to be one of the most annoying places to be stuck - "Carlos, don't be chiiicken"! They finally turned lights on and said we would be evacuated, and our boat began to move. All the boats behind us stayed where they were and we moved into the corridor right before the jail scene. Well all the boats that had been behind us floated up a few minutes later, completely empty. Then, all the boats in front of us were evacuated, but we were in a spot where they couldn't get us out, so there we sat!! I was struck by how ridiculous people get when stuck like that. My daughter and I were alone in the back row, and there was a family in the first two rows freaking out and screaming at the very kind cms who were trying to get us out, the woman even threatened to find her own way out if they didn't hurry!! The cm very politely told her that they were trying to start the ride up to move our boat forward, and there were mechanisms that could take her foot off, so that would be a very bad idea. At one point the teenage kids of this family just started to climb out and there was no where to go and they had to get back in. Then, the people directly in front of us decided to try to propel the boat forward by grabbing the shore and pushing, which only succeeded in moving the boat backwards!! I really kept thinking, do you think you're gonna push us and the 20 or so boats in front of us up the lift hill doing that??? Finally, some very nice cms helped us climb into the boat in front of us and then out of the ride. We got a pass to go to the front of any ride we chose, and the cm's were very kind and helpful, I felt sorry for them due to all the unneccessary abuse they got! We loved pirates though...we were stuck in front of the first Jack for quite a while and he is so life like, its just bizarre!!!

No, the worse place to be stuck was in the caverns before where it keeps going "Dead Men Tell No Tales".

Trust me, that's where I was stuck. Took forever to get out. We had to go all thru the backstage area. Ended up grabbing a Blue Bayou Menu, and saved that Special Fastpass ticket as a memento.

Every time I have been stuck on a ride, it seems like everybody just looks at it as an adventure. I have never experienced people screaming and acting like idiots and I quite honestly don't know how I would react if they did.

The longest I've ever been stuck was for about 30 minutes on Indiana Jones right in front of the boulder. We didn't even expect them to give us a pass since we were almost to the end of the ride, but were pleasantly surprised when they did. The park was pretty empty that day, so we used the pass on the only ride that had a line that day--Peter Pan.

• Guilty!

What Guests don't understand is that there are almost 900 other people on the ride with them. Pirates is only staffed with about 10-15 cast members at a time. When Pirates goes down and it looks as though the ride will be evacuated, an all-call is put out over the Ops. radio for anyone to come and help out with the evac. It's a difficult procedure for the cast members, even with the new sorter brakes.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Gee, it seems to be breaking down a LOT since they reopened for the Movie Premiere. So, any of the CM's out there want to spill what keeps breaking? If it was a Show element problem, the boats would keep running and they could just cycle out the ride.

The boats are the same, it doesn't look like they made any major mechanical changes to the ride mechanisms, drops or lift. There has to be a root cause...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Not only are there 900 other people, but that attraction building is about 84,000 square feet. With only a limited number of CM's, thats a large space. Can't people realize that it takes time to evac such a large building. On top of that, many of the show scenes are surrounded by water. If only people had the ability to think when in Disneyland.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

Ironically, I was right at the gate of row one, waiting to get on board last night when the ride broke. A friend was stuck near the jail scene. It appears the boat in front of them was somehow stuck and the people in the boat rocked it to get it loose. She finally got off the ride about 10:20pm.

I felt bad for the CMs. They were all kind of looking at each other and rolling their eyes as if to say, "uh-oh, here we go again".

I figured it was best not be upset, and it didn't seem like people waiting in line were upset. It's not like I'm not at the park almost every week and wouldn't have the chance to ride again soon anyway. After the CMs told us the ride would probably be down for the night, we left the park and were able to catch the 10:30pm showing of The Devil Wears Prada.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    Gee, it seems to be breaking down a LOT since they reopened for the Movie Premiere. So, any of the CM's out there want to spill what keeps breaking? If it was a Show element problem, the boats would keep running and they could just cycle out the ride.

The boats are the same, it doesn't look like they made any major mechanical changes to the ride mechanisms, drops or lift. There has to be a root cause...

--<< Bruce >>--

Yes, before the refurbishment Pirates seemed to be one of the more reliable attractions. I wonder what is going on.

• The one, the only...

I really feel for the CM's. They have to deal with cranky people and a dysfunctional ride.

What I don't understand it why this ride is breaking down EVERYDAY! I think it need to go into refurbishment and get the problems corrected. Believe me. It did not use to breakdown as often. It should not be going down everyday, maybe several times a day.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

The ride did open back up around 10:30. I managed to squeeze my way back into line and got on.

Where the ride broke down AGAIN, where I was stuck AGAIN at the SAME SCENE (cavern).

This time however, it only took about 15-20 minutes, and they managed to get the ride moving again.

So I got on the ride twice, only managed to complete it once, still haven't gotten to see the Davy Jones effect, nor hear the new captain talk. I was pretty much standing in line for PoTC, on PoTC, or backstage trying to be let back into the Park from 8:45-11:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortgageman
    Yes, before the refurbishment Pirates seemed to be one of the more reliable attractions. I wonder what is going on.
    If I had to take a guess, it's that they're filling the cars too much.

The second time I went thru, we got stuck right before the drop, and a castmember went on the PA and told us "One of our boats was stuck, please rock back and forth"

Before this opening, Pirates wasn't exacetly packed with people. I think they are trying to put too many people in the cars, and it's causing some of them to grind to the floor under the weight, getting stuck on the break hills.

When I was exiting at 11:30, they were letting reopening it, and I heard the castmembers say to each other "So no 1 and 6 right?"

I think they were gonna just run the boats with rows 2-5, and thus solving the weight issue.

• I am the Governator!!

Quote Originally Posted by mkm1998
    If I had to take a guess, it's that they're filling the cars too much.

The second time I went thru, we got stuck right before the drop, and a castmember went on the PA and told us "One of our boats was stuck, please rock back and forth"

Before this opening, Pirates wasn't exacetly packed with people. I think they are trying to put too many people in the cars, and it's causing some of them to grind to the floor under the weight, getting stuck on the break hills.

When I was exiting at 11:30, they were letting reopening it, and I heard the castmembers say to each other "So no 1 and 6 right?"

I think they were gonna just run the boats with rows 2-5, and thus solving the weight issue.
    I think this is part of the problem but I also think they are putting way to many boats on the ride.
    In an effort to get more thru put they are adding more boats than the ride can handle.
    I have not made it on yet but I understand that the back up for the lift hill, even when the ride is running, is as far back as the bride auction or worse. That's just too many boats, all it takes is one slow down, one boat that's too full, and the boats at the tops of the drops can't go down causing a ride fault.
    When the ride stoped with me in line it seemed this was the case as you could see the boats in the marsh waiting to take the first drop. I think people would be willing to wait longer if they were assured that the ride would work when they got on.
    I will save the princess, though I do not know the way.

• Monorail Racer

I felt lucky when I was only stuck on the ride for 15 minutes Thursday. Plus, if it got really long, we could have reached the wall to exit (just before getting to unload). I do hope they're able to correct the issues sometime soon. This ride's always been ultra reliable in the past. It's not something you'd expect to have problems with like some other rides.
    Warning: Portions of this attraction are intense and may not be appropriate for younger children.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast