Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shops at Disneyland

What kinds of specialty shops and merchandise would you like to see available at Disneyland?

Re: Shops at Disneyland

I'd love to see a return of that awesome candle shop. When I was a teenager, the malls all had candle shops with many different kinds of candles, unlike the candle stores now where it's just a shop full of the same jars of candles with different scents. I loved the uniqueness of the old candle shops and would like to see one put back in New Orleans Square.

• Former Epcot CM

Crafts from Polynesia, India and Hawaii in Adventureland. Wind chimes, tiki idols, etc, but authentic.

I couldn't think for Tomorrowland. Frontierland seems easy but coonskins aren't exactly PC these days are they, nor are real shot guns.

Main Street - just more identity and uniqueness to each shop.

Fantasyland - interesting and awe-inspiring things... make shops more of experiences and journeys into the movies of Walt Disney than... well... shops.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by Schmielsen
    I'd love to see a return of that awesome candle shop. When I was a teenager, the malls all had candle shops with many different kinds of candles, unlike the candle stores now where it's just a shop full of the same jars of candles with different scents. I loved the uniqueness of the old candle shops and would like to see one put back in New Orleans Square.
    Exactly my thoughts. I really miss the candle shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

^ I agree.

The one-of-a-kind shop looks interesting to me, though I never got to see it in it's incarnation. What I really wanted to do was make my own perfume. I remember seeing it on a special promo for the opening of PotC being replayed on the Disney channel, and during the segment surrounding NOS's shops, that was mentioned. I got all excited and then asked my mother about it, but as she told me and as I discovered as a little girl, the shop didn't exist anymore.

I wish the crystal shops had a more "personalized" selection...maybe pick out a design for something and you could have it made right there at Disneyland, like they do for the crystal shop in Sleeping Beauty's Castle. Maybe personalize wedding glasses, or create a cute little heart necklace with letters engraved.

Anything that you can't get the same or similar at Wal Mart, Target, et al.

Here are a few ideas of my own.

Main Street, U.S.A.: an Americana shop.

Adventureland: live exotic pets.

Frontierland: antiques and reproductions (presented as new); custom colognes and perfumes (Le Parfumerie de Mlle. Antoinette).

Fantasyland: toys, clocks, and other woodcrafts (Geppetto's).

Tomorrowland: unique gadgets and innovative toys that are different from those available at Sharper Image, Brookstone, and ThinkGeek.com.

• Still wants to be a cat!

A shop just for Wolfette....filled with all Eeyore stuff....(she wanted me to post this)!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

Ideally, the shopping at Disneyland should enable a guest to gather items collected through his or her travels in The Magic Kingdom in much the same way a traveler does when he or she visits a foreign country.

The shops and merchandise should present guests with the opportunity to take pieces of Disneyland home with them. And, the shopping should be an attraction in itself.

I like all those ideas except for the live exotic pet shop, but then I don't like shops that sell pets in general.

• Animatronic

The one of a kind antique shop always made my visit. I felt like I was really in 1850's New Orleans as many of the products came from that period (although that would make it more of a consignment store than an antique store if you really were in 1850).

I miss all the shops that sold land specific items. I even miss the indian trading post. It felt wild, on the edge of wilderness. Although it was seldom that I bought anything there, it added so much to the park experience to just look at the stuff. Alas, I miss the time when the stores were like movie sets and rather than taking you out of the adventure, they put you right in the middle of it.

What should a turn of the 19th century street sell? Well, Pooh was big back then. It might be nice to see a retro, hinged limb style, Pooh. Wow, imagine a fun and interesting product that also sets the theme! This line of thinking should extend through to every store and food outlet!

Let the generic junk be sold at the GIANT DISNEY STORE outside the park!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I like all those ideas except for the live exotic pet shop...
    I agree, but only because I don't trust the guests that will buy them to treat them properly, and I'd imagine Disney would have hell making sure that the pets would be able to get out of the park appropriately and safely.

I think it would be cool if Adventureland had maybe a sort of petting zoo, but, you know, with wilder animals like tropical birds. Maybe a small animal show like they do at Universal Studios...then again I could imagine the type of lawsuits that would ensue. Grr. Guess we should just settle with Jungle Cruise.

A book store on Main Street, U.S.A. that sells the source material for Disneyland attractions would be wonderful. I'd love to get special Disneyland copies of Lewis Caroll's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" or Jules Verne's "20,000 Leagues under the Sea".

I like all those ideas except for the live exotic pet shop, but then I don't like shops that sell pets in general.
    I completely understand.

I was thinking of live snakes and other interesting animals that might be placed outside in order to draw guests into stores like Tropical Imports.

I also wish the shops had different merchandise specific to the land and surrounding theme. It's really sad to be able to go into a store on Main Street, Adventureland, and Fronteirland only to find the same crappy stuff in each one. I'm hoping this will change once the 50th stuff is gone.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast